Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 HISTORY HIS3B: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603. 10th June 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datguy37)
    for q3. I wrote about the poor socio-econ years between 94-97 and the food riots etc
    then I said this was resolved with the Tillage Act, etc
    then I said other factors posed a threat, Ireland, Tyrone's rebellion in how he defeated the English at the Battle of Yellow Ford to remove English authority in Ireland, etc
    then I talked about Spains threat with their numerous armadas in 96 after Cadiz and 97 after Ferol
    my next point was about Essex and his actions that posed a threat and lastly, I talked about the religious threats to government which was resolved

I don't think I could've talked about monopolies because it was within government

did i wrote the right or wrong things?

I spoke to my teacher about this and she said that the things to write were supposed to just be from the three pages that cover social and economic problems. Therefore I'm not sure whether the Tyrone rebellion is relevant because it isn't in that section specifically and is not really the social crisis at the time. I think the Essex rebellion could have been included, and monopolies because that contributed towards the economic turmoil. I'm not sure about the armada being included either. You've kind of drifted off topic with the religious threats as this isn't really social or economic either

I put

for a challenge
    -Monopolies crisis as government could not get elizabeth at first to get rid of it
    -Economic crisis did undermine Elizabeth's position in the Spanish war as she could not launch expeditions she would have liked such as Portugal because she did not have the finances
    -Food riots as they were taking a similar format to the Kett rebellion
    -oxfordshire rising as this was a rebellion in itself

Against being a challenge
    -Monopolies- strong governmental control met the challenge as Elizabeth was forced to compromise
    -Economic crisis despite undermining position was never a real threat to the crown
    -Food riots challenge was met with the poor laws
    -Oxfordshire rising was dealt with incredibly with the local government who suppressed it before it had begun

Conclusion
    -Social challenges were met easy but economic turmoil continued as government were unable to revise marian book of rates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    Imo it was really weird to structure a late period question over social and economic stuff given that it constitutes a whole 3-4 pages of the textbook.

If you talked about 'socioeconomic' discontent you probably answered the question without needing to talk about crown finances specifically.

I mentioned the food riots, Oxfordshire rising and Essex rebellion to support the challenge whilst underlining that the fragmented government was in no position to deal with this turmoil (just to crowbar in stuff about control over parliament).

Conversely I said that given parliament never failed to provide subsidies and implemented the poor laws it was fundamentally united behind the crown so never was at risk of collapse. That was all I could think of to the contrary.

For the first question I dealt with decline in authority thematically. Religious authority ofc took up the largest portion of the debate, followed by socioeconomic authority and contort over government (Mary had control, Edward/Somerset/Northumberland did not).

Similar to what others have put?
    For q 3 i wrote on
    1) the deaths of ministers contributing to political instability and factionalism etc, social disorder thus affected political instability and gove't effectiveness
    2)Poor laws show in fact of the problems gove't was successful in some respects
    3) Burghley's failure to reform + spanish war led to financial problems.however, double subsidy was granted + didn't go bankrupt etc.
    4) Monopolies crisis + essex rebellion threatened crown
    5) Golden speech shows elizabeth still had power over them etc

managed to relate it all back to the question but is it relevant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrietw1)
    For Q3- I wrote how social/economic crisis was a factor for decline in government (or however they worded it) and then said however other factors were more important and counter balanced it with, decline in the council, factions which led to the Essex Rebellion, decline in parliament (1601 monopolies) and law and order (Tyrones Rebellion) is this ok? Need an A?
    I did this and looking back I have absolutely no idea if its the right way to go! I think I counterbalanced it with the factors of foreign threat and decline in government administration, overall arguing that government administration was a larger threat to the government compared to socio/economic crisis.

ANY ADVICE?? I really need a A in this exam, do you think its plausible with this layout or have i deviated to much from the question?? (my paragraph of socio-economic was fairly short and not very economically based oops!)

ReputationRep:
    Looking back on question 3, I have absolutely if I answered it right i looked at factors that caused instability in this time to determine whether socio/economic was a threat. I think I counterbalanced the socio/economic threat with the factors of foreign threat and decline in government administration, overall arguing that government administration was a larger threat to the government compared to socio/economic crisis.

ANY ADVICE?? I really need a A in this exam, do you think its plausible with this layout or have i deviated to much from the question?? (my paragraph of socio-economic was fairly short and not very economically based oops!)

ReputationRep:
    Was Q3 a depth or breadth question? I answered it as a depth question, all I talked about was the problems of starvation/inflation/riots etc WITHOUT counterbalancing it with other factors like wars with Spain / the decline of government quality / Irish rebellion... I haven't given it much thought in the past few weeks but seeing my essay content being so different from the others makes me really worried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itssnic0le)
    Looking back on question 3, I have absolutely if I answered it right i looked at factors that caused instability in this time to determine whether socio/economic was a threat. I think I counterbalanced the socio/economic threat with the factors of foreign threat and decline in government administration, overall arguing that government administration was a larger threat to the government compared to socio/economic crisis.

I think this was the whole point of the question to access other factors aswell as there was not enough of reasons just to talk about social and economic problems

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.