We'll see about that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    At least Imperion has my back
    *Hides axe*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Speaker Election - Manifestos and Q&A
    We have 8 candidates running to be your next Speaker, plus the option of RON.

Please check out their manifestos below - there will now be a 3 day Q&A session where you can ask each candidate all about their plans and ideas.

Note to candidates: I have put up the manifestos as best I can - if there are problems with image sizing, I am happy to replace your manifesto with the text version you submitted to me.

mobbsy91
    I won't ditch you like Ray did. I won't spel like hazzer. I won't lie as bad as Nigel. I'm not a virgin (line up ladies) and I can tie my own shoelaces. Shout out to my homeboy campaign manager JoeL1994.

For a fuhrer Speaker that will actually do something...
    VOTE MOBBSY!!!!!!!

If you don't, I will probably bar you from the Bar.

Life_peer

Life_peer
    The relaxed genius of age and experience :holmes:

Ladies, gentlemen, and primordial ooze of the MHoC!

We are in the early stage of one of the greatest terms in history that will determine the future of this House.

Do we want firm and mighty leadership, or are we to settle for inadvertent inadequacy, negligence, and lethargy? Do we want a decisive authoritative leader, or a feeble unreliable clerk?

Man has invented machines to help him avoid the dull and uneventful so that he could maximise his potential to push forward—to go beyond the horizon of the familiar and safe.

I offer you more than blood, toil, tears and sweat.
    I offer you the very opposite!

Automated formatting and submission system for legislation with tracking and an always up-to-date queue (no more junk in your inbox).

Configurable reminders reflecting the state of your submissions (e.g. vote ends in six hours) straight to your mobile phone via push notifications.

– Missing votes? Remind your members to vote with a single tap.

– Automated rolling voting review, always up-to-date and accessible online.

MHoC dashboard. All analytical data you need available in one page.

This will allow me to focus on matters that still need a human touch—resolving your squabbles, creating precedent, providing guidance.

Six years of MHoC experience in leadership positions (Father of the House).

Adored by the CT.

– Strictly against bureaucracy.

Working solutions are not satisfactory.

Strive for the ultimate and let this be our finest hour!

Airmed

adam9317

Nigel Farage MEP

Saracen's Fez

Jammy Duel
    This house needs a Speaker that I active, I therefore pledge that, assuming I am kept in office long enough, I will be active, on average, every other day rather than every third day.

We need an effective Speaker, therefore I shall ensure that in my absences that may last several months at a time the Deputy Speaker, or in their absence the Sergeant-at-Arms, will continue with updates, you wouldn't even know I was gone.

We need a Speaker that makes decisions, therefore when required to make a decision I shall take at most one day before coming out with it and not let myself be pushed around by the moaning of the former leader of UKIP.

We need a Speaker who will be rigorous. I am well known for being rigorous. I'm the best at rigour. I love rigour!

On a more serious note, if everybody else pulls out before I do, one of the first things I will do is push for the CT to send out a mass PM publicising the MhoC given the lack of mass PM for quite some time, and if the mass PM amendment is not passed, do the same after future elections.

I'll be less annoying as Speaker. Vote Jammy for less irritation. Let's make the MHoC great again!

P.S. I will build a wall to keep the r****tors out!

Aph

Re-open Nominations

Thursday 12th May (9pm) – Returning officer will post the candidates who wish to run in the election for speaker along with manifestos.
    Thursday 12th May – Candidates for the position are questioned by MPs and members of the House of Commons

Sunday 15th May – The returning officer will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.

Thursday 19th May – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the run-off vote a candidate withdraws the run-off is re-ran between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The run-off may be reran a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three run-offs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.

Sunday 22nd May/ Wednesday 25th May/ Saturday 28th May - If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.

Tuesday 31st May - If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called the results are announced.[/b]

For reference I put the full rules in the spoiler below. Good luck to all!
    Spoiler:
    Show

1) A Speaker election can take place at any time.

2) It can be conducted by the outgoing Speaker, a Deputy Speaker or any member of the moderation/administration team.

3) The election process for a Speaker should last no more than 28 days.

Day 0 – Returning officer announces the election and asks for manifestos to be submitted to them.
    Day 7 – Returning officer will post the candidates who wish to run in the election for speaker along with manifestos.
    Day 7 – Candidates for the position are questioned by MPs and members of the House of Commons
    Day 10 – The returning officer will open a secret poll (for MPs only in the Division Lobby) with the candidates’ names and the option for Re-Open Nominations.
    Day 14 – Poll closes. If a candidate has gained more than 50% of the vote, they are elected. If not, the two candidates with the most votes, plus ties, are put into a second three day ballot with no R.O.N. option. If at any point during the run-off vote a candidate withdraws the run-off is re-ran between the remaining candidate and the next highest placed candidate on the first round ballot excluding the candidate who has withdrawn. The run-off may be reran a maximum of three times. In the event there is no next placed candidate from the first round the remaining candidate undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion procedure lasting three days. If three run-offs all result in withdrawals the candidate left undergoes a Speakership Confirmation motion.
    Day 17/20/23 - If a runoff election was needed, results of the election are announced and the candidate with the most votes is elected.
    Day 26 - If a Speakership Confirmation Motion was called the results are announced.
    4) The candidate with the highest number of votes will be elected as the new Speaker.

5) In the event there is a draw, All candidates will be outlined to the administration team and they will pick the next Speaker.

6) In the event no Speaker is elected due to Re-Open Nominations being elected a new election process will begin.

7) Speaker manifestos must be no more than 250 words on why they should be Speaker and what they plan to do with the house.

Come on Fez, Life Peer can get tae ****
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Imperion)
    *Hides axe*
    I expected it from them....but you! I'm hurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I expected it from them....but you! I'm hurt

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They're making me do it against my will!!! :cry:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I apologise if this has been asked already but I'd like to ask the candidates what their view is on dual party memberships?
    Leave it for truly exceptional conditions, given it requires the consent of the speaker that's easy enough to do, the only problem could be current dual members, depending on how the documents are currently written

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I apologise if this has been asked already but I'd like to ask the candidates what their view is on dual party memberships?
    Up to the party leaders tbh. It's a matter of trust and respect between those parties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Okay candidates, as someone who abhors the bureaucracy of this place, the nitty gritty debates about something being "constitutional" or "misinterpreting the GD" - I'd like to know how you plan to simplify the MHOC and take out these boring wastes of time, I believe LP is along the right lines in his argument. Or, alternatively, why under your speakership someone like me would appreciate the bureaucracy you will introduce?Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't like beaurocracy- in 99% of cases the constituion can only be interpreted one way, yet it is failed to do so- maybe a document, briefly outlining if X happens, what happens, if Y happens, what happens- although impossible for each case, can be adapted.Free flowing, high quality debate is vital!
    I would say if both party leaders agree, then go for it- although I may want to look at something of an activity restriction- ie must have been a member for at least 2 months, or something similar!

ReputationRep:
    We've heard some poor man's solutions to the issue of keeping everyone up-to-date with the proceedings through online spreadsheets so I've been wondering if Saracen's Fez and Airmed would commit themselves to this as well in case they win.

To be more specific, would you provide the rolling voting review, submission queue and timetable, and perhaps some other useful data in an online spreadsheet (e.g. Google Docs) accessible to us at all times?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    We've heard some poor man's solutions to the issue of keeping everyone up-to-date with the proceedings through online spreadsheets so I've been wondering if Saracen's Fez and Airmed would commit themselves to this as well in case they win.

To be more specific, would you provide the rolling voting review, submission queue and timetable, and perhaps some other useful data in an online spreadsheet (e.g. Google Docs) accessible to us at all times?
    Rolling voting review would be available via a Google Doc, yes.

Not sure I feel the need to publicise the submissions queue and timetable any further than Ray did in the update.

ReputationRep:

If I do recall, my rt hon friend didn't want to get into the specifics of the database [if i recall, it was late on Thursday/ Friday night] I wonder if he would be able to divulge a little further into what his database would entail, how it would operate; and most importantly, how many features require the assistance/ agreement of the mods at TSR [Ie incorporating bots etc]

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    If I do recall, my rt hon friend didn't want to get into the specifics of the database [if i recall, it was late on Thursday/ Friday night] I wonder if he would be able to divulge a little further into what his database would entail, how it would operate; and most importantly, how many features require the assistance/ agreement of the mods at TSR [Ie incorporating bots etc]

Many thanks
    I don't quite understand what you're asking but none of it requires any assistance from the Establishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Rolling voting review would be available via a Google Doc, yes.

Not sure I feel the need to publicise the submissions queue and timetable any further than Ray did in the update.
    It would be nice to have (perhaps coupled with opt-out MHoC updates via PM since I can't be bothered to keep erasing them manually). Thanks anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It would be nice to have (perhaps coupled with opt-out MHoC updates via PM since I can't be bothered to keep erasing them manually). Thanks anyway.
    I believe in allowing parties to keep their items a surprise until they are put up for debate.

I'm also not a fan of opt-out updates: they're an unnecessary added pain for the Speaker and part and parcel of being an MP is to receive the PM update. If that is such a problem, MPs should give their seat to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    StatementI would like to announce that I have decided to suspend my campaign and withdraw from the election since I no longer feel the need to protect the MHoC from certain distasteful candidates who I had feared had a chance at winning before this debate took place.

After some thought and for what it is worth, I would like to endorse Saracen's Fez as our next Speaker. He is not flawless, but I think he will do fine and perhaps also deserves a consolation prize after what the Labour party did to him, which could additionally make him more impartial. If you disagree, I encourage you to support Airmed since I believe every other candidate bar the joke ones would be severely detrimental.

I would also like to thank my potential supporters and state that if I am still around during the next election, I shall probably stand once again. If I manage to remain motivated, all my pledges should be ready by then.

cc toronto353
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

I agree with Saracen's Fez on this. No need to name the parties who submitted the bills. Let's keep the suspense!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    StatementI would like to announce that I have decided to suspend my campaign and withdraw from the election since I no longer feel the need to protect the MHoC from certain distasteful candidates who I had feared had a chance at winning before this debate took place.

After some thought and for what it is worth, I would like to endorse Saracen's Fez as our next Speaker . He is not flawless, but I think he will do fine and perhaps also deserves a consolation prize after what the Labour party did to him, which could additionally make him more impartial. If you disagree, I encourage you to support Airmed since I believe every other candidate bar the joke ones would be severely detrimental.

I would also like to thank my potential supporters and state that if I am still around during the next election, I shall probably stand once again. If I manage to remain motivated, all my pledges should be ready by then.

cc toronto353
    Thank you for the sort of endorsement.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

After some thought and for what it is worth, I would like to endorse Saracen's Fez as our next Speaker. He is not flawless, but I think he will do fine and perhaps also deserves a consolation prize after what the Labour party did to him, which could additionally make him more impartial. If you disagree, I encourage you to support Airmed since I believe every other candidate bar the joke ones would be severely detrimental.

cc toronto353
    Thank you for letting me know.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

After some thought and for what it is worth, I would like to endorse Saracen's Fez as our next Speaker . He is not flawless, but I think he will do fine and perhaps also deserves a consolation prize after what the Labour party did to him, which could additionally make him more impartial. If you disagree, I encourage you to support Airmed since I believe every other candidate bar the joke ones would be severely detrimental.

cc toronto353
    I expected you'd choose to enjoy No. 10 for a little while longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I expected you'd choose to enjoy No. 10 for a little while longer.
    You can stop by for a cup of tea next week.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.