Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A+Hunter)
    From the Marking schemes the SQA like things with decimals in them lol So I'd go with 2.5 However I can't see why they'd mark you down for the other one
    Hahahaha okay phew! My spree of silly questions had ended until further notice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethan100)
    Thank you
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    Hahahaha okay phew! My spree of silly questions had ended until further notice
    According to the course notes:

In carrying out calculations and using relationships to solve problems, it is important to giveanswers to an appropriate number of significant figures. This means that the final answer canhave no more significant figures than the value with least number of significant figures used inthe calculation.

Learners should be familiar with the use of scientific notation and this may be used asappropriate when large and small numbers are used in calculations.

ReputationRep:
    "This means that the final answer canhave no more significant figures than the value with least number of significant figures used inthe calculation."

Okay I'm lost again :confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    If I put all my final answers to calculations at standard of 3 significant figures, am I following what it says above ?

ReputationRep:
    "This means that the final answer canhave no more significant figures than the value with least number of significant figures used inthe calculation."

Okay I'm lost again :confused::confused::confused:
    Okay I'll try to explain again :P

Take this question from the 2014 as an example:

The worker has a mass of 80·0 kg and on a particular day absorbs7·2 mJ of energy from the X-ray machine.
    Calculate the absorbed dose received by the worker.

So D=E/m
    D= 7.2x10-3/80
    D = 8.75x10-5

You shouldn't leave you answer as this, Because the max number of sig figs in the question is 2 (7.2x10-3)

So round your answer to either 8.8x10-5 or 9.0x10-5

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'll try to explain again :P

Take this question from the 2014 as an example:

The worker has a mass of 80·0 kg and on a particular day absorbs7·2 mJ of energy from the X-ray machine.
    Calculate the absorbed dose received by the worker.

So D=E/m
    D= 7.2x10-3/80
    D = 8.75x10-5

You shouldn't leave you answer as this, Because the max number of sig figs in the question is 2 (7.2x10-3)

So round your answer to either 8.8x10-5 or 9.0x10-5
    Okay I think I understand it now, Hopefully I remember to check the numbers for the exam on Tuesday :P Thanks for helping me !!

ReputationRep:
    Okay I think I understand it now, Hopefully I remember to check the numbers for the exam on Tuesday :P Thanks for helping me !!
    Np.

Most the time they'll give you nice easy rounding ones so don't worry too much

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !!!!
    What's everyone revising right now?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !!!!
    Waves and Radiation

Doing waves right now, Amplitude,Wavelength, Frequency that stuff :P

ReputationRep:
    Waves and Radiation

Doing waves right now, Amplitude,Wavelength, Frequency that stuff :P
    I'm still doing the stupid gas laws. Lol!

After this i'm going to watch the videos Yammy gave and memorise the circuit rules... Dreading it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you !!!!
    Doing Gas laws and power equations

ReputationRep:
    What does everyone think will come up on Tuesday especially regarding the open ended questions?

ReputationRep:
    I think nuclear radiation / some electricity question for the open-ended questions.. :P

ReputationRep:
    What prefixes do we need to know ?
    http://images.slideplayer.com/28/934...es/slide_8.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Thank You
    The most common ones will be kilo, mega, milli and micro, However I'd still go over the ones that sameehaiqbal posted

ReputationRep:
    Thank You

The most common ones will be kilo, mega, milli and micro, However I'd still go over the ones that sameehaiqbal posted
    Ignore the deci prefix but the rest are pretty much relevant

ReputationRep:
    If you're having trouble remembering the prefix's theres great mnemonics on this website: https://www.mnemonic-device.com/phys...metric-system/

ReputationRep:
    I've finally learnt the circuit rules !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you .Jeff458 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.