The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethan100
What is a flame test ? Is that got anything to do with the colours in the data booklet ?

yeah, like if you burn a compound with potassium in it, it will burn purple. It's in the data book.
[QUOTE="eve_4342;64892701"]
Original post by Lewis H01
I think we should all do the same open-ended question, and get our own answers, and once we have all agreed on a suitable answer we will move on to the next one...

Here's the first open-ended question...

image.jpg (Quality of picture isn't great, it's the best I could do)[/QU

Add to water to see if it is soluble
Heat up to see if the melting/boiling point compares to an ionic/ covalent.
Flame test to see if a colour is given off.
Burn to see and capture the gas given off - CO2 = milky, o2 = relight a glowing splint
add to water and test for pH - ionic - pH7, covalent - <pH7

That's a nice answer, I would write things very similar.
Just saying If I was a SQA marker I would give that 2 or 3 out of 3 depends how lenient the marker is.
(edited 7 years ago)
haha I saw one earlier that said something like this

Children asked their teacher what chemistry is about and the teacher replied "Electrons". Using your knowledge of chemistry explain what the teacher means

What would you think if you got a question like this... its very vague which means we can talk about anything really
[QUOTE="H01;64893041" Lewis="Lewis"]
Original post by eve_4342

That's a nice answer, I would write things very similar.
Just saying If I was a SQA marker I would give that 2 or 3 out of 3 depends how lenient the marker is.

In the exam, I would write it in more detail, how would I get 3/3?
Reply 264
I think we should all do the same open-ended question, and get our own answers, and once we have all agreed on a suitable answer we will move on to the next one...

Here's the first open-ended question...

image.jpg (Quality of picture isn't great, it's the best I could do)

Test to see if it conducts electricity. If so then it's Metallic Bonding and the element will be a metal.
If electricity does not pass through it then, then melt the compound till molten. Then see if it conducts, if so then it's got Ionic Bonding, and will contain a metal and a non metal.
If electricity still doesn't pass through it, then it's covalent bonding and will be a non metal.
You can then determine if the compound is a covalent network or molecular, by comparing the mps and bps
What is a flame test ? Is that got anything to do with the colours in the data booklet ?

Yes. Say the colour of the flame turned lilac, potassium could be present within the unknown compound.

Children asked their teacher what chemistry is about and the teacher replied "Electrons". Using your knowledge of chemistry explain what the teacher means

What would you think if you got a question like this... its very vague which means we can talk about anything really

That question is really weird... So like - electrons are negative, they have a tiny mass, full energy level = stable, electrons are loss in beta decay.

????
Reply 267

Electrons determine the properties of elements.

That's all I know :P
That question is really weird... So like - electrons are negative, they have a tiny mass, full energy level = stable, electrons are loss in beta decay.

????

Along the right lines, but I'm a bit concerned if the teacher just says electrons... Like could you imagine the kids all expecting 5 pages worth of notes and then the teacher just blurbs out 'electrons'? I'm not expecting some sort of revolutionary applause haha.

????

Yeah hahah, I would just blab anything I know about electrons, how their outer shell gives the chemicals its properties and how they are arranged in the periodic table
Here's the next one, since I've seen couple of nice answers.

This open-ended seems pretty easy and wouldn't mind it in the exam

image.jpg
HELP

Is Pvc= Pvc same as the c1v1/n1 =c2v2/n2 ??!?!

I know none of them
Reply 272
Here's the next one, since I've seen couple of nice answers.

This open-ended seems pretty easy and wouldn't mind it in the exam

image.jpg

For:
Water is the only product
No greenhouse gases such as CO2 are produced
Therefore natural fuels like coal won't need to be used, as they produce harmful gases where as Hydrogen does not.

Against:
Dunno lol
Reply 273
Hey Probs a bit late to be asking this sort of question haha but when writing equations how do you know what state symbol to use (l, s, g, aq)? I've never really understood so if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it cheers :biggrin:
HELP

Is Pvc= Pvc same as the c1v1/n1 =c2v2/n2 ??!?!

I know none of them

Yes it is but I find the PVC one more difficult. Did you get the picture of my working?
Yes it is but I find the PVC one more difficult. Did you get the picture of my working?

I scrolled up and found it :biggrin: Thanks so much
Original post by Puppo
Hey Probs a bit late to be asking this sort of question haha but when writing equations how do you know what state symbol to use (l, s, g, aq)? I've never really understood so if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it cheers :biggrin:

If you are asked just to write a plain equation, you probably won't need them but for the ion-electron/ redox eq. you might like...

Zn(s) + Cu 2+(aq) -----> Zn 2+(aq) + Cu(s)

I have no idea how to describe it though! :s-smilie:
Original post by Jay431
For:
Water is the only product
No greenhouse gases such as CO2 are produced
Therefore natural fuels like coal won't need to be used, as they produce harmful gases where as Hydrogen does not.

Against:
Dunno lol

Hmmm... I don't know that stuff XD what about the extraction of metals from ores?
Reply 278
If you are asked just to write a plain equation, you probably won't need them but for the ion-electron/ redox eq. you might like...

I'm hoping they ask for a plain equation thanks for the fast response I appreciate it!

Eve I understand the picture you showed me but I am having difficulty knowing how to start. Im trying to do the 2015 15 b question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending