Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Our teachers seem to be at a conflict. Both of mine said you only need to refer to the extract once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My teacher just said use 3 as a general rule, though i think if you have used one piece of data and you have used it well it shouldn't be an issue. The structure of the essay is important and you can get up to 4 marks for just defining 2 key terms.

ReputationRep:
    Also, do you think if I analysed the market failure (thoroughly), talk about the free market + evaluation and talk about regulation (increase minimum age to be able to smoke), will I be capped at a grade boundary for not talking about tax? The question explicitly talk about whether or not the government should regulate, so in my point of view, the tax policy is only just an extra thing you can add to accumlate marks...

Am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaasi)
    Also, do you think if I analysed the market failure (thoroughly), talk about the free market + evaluation and talk about regulation (increase minimum age to be able to smoke), will I be capped at a grade boundary for not talking about tax? The question explicitly talk about whether or not the government should regulate, so in my point of view, the tax policy is only just an extra thing you can add to accumlate marks...

Am I wrong?
    I didn't talk about taxation either. I based my answer around regulation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharmonraja)
    I didn't talk about taxation either. I based my answer around regulation
    Nice one. Hopefully we wont get deducted marks for not talking about another policy. What do you think you will get overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    You'll probably be alright. I just saw assess and thought... Different policies needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is the demand curve drawn on the assumption that 'all factors remain constant' or on the assumption that 'demand increases as prices decrease'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaasi)
    Nice one. Hopefully we wont get deducted marks for not talking about another policy. What do you think you will get overall?
    I spoke about taxation but in the end sugested a different policy and they said photos on the cig boxes which indicated persuasion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaasi)
    I mentioned an alternative policy in my conclusion though. I'm not sure hopefully I didnt do too bad. The multiple choice questions were tricky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigpaddy27)
    I spoke about taxation but in the end sugested a different policy and they said photos on the cig boxes which indicated persuasion.
    I mentioned 'informative advertising' as the extract stated that the government advertised the health problems associated with smoking or something like that

ReputationRep:
    Is the demand curve drawn on the assumption that 'all factors remain constant' or on the assumption that 'demand increases as prices decrease'
    All factors remain constant (ceteris paribus). You can have upward sloping demand curves.

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned 'informative advertising' as the extract stated that the government advertised the health problems associated with smoking or something like that
    same here well you have used better words haha. I think I have scored highly as i compared the gov failure and market failure etc. The mcq's were very hard. The other people who took the AS resit seemed delighted with their mcq's. The grade boundaries should be around 53/54 for an A so not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    first one i think, demand increase as price decrease up to a point - it is a curve, a very high price demand doesnt no change

ReputationRep:
    same here well you have used better words haha. I think I have scored highly as i compared the gov failure and market failure etc. The mcq's were very hard. The other people who took the AS resit seemed delighted with their mcq's. The grade boundaries should be around 53/54 for an A so not too bad.
    If that is the grade boundary for an A then I should be fine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfahdgjdfshg)
    first one i think, demand increase as price decrease up to a point - it is a curve, a very high price demand doesnt no change
    demand line is drawn on assumption that other factors other than price remain constant, thats what i did.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!! I hope everyone's exam went well today, I normally get 20+ / 25 on the essay. However. Today I majorly panicked
    Here is roughly what points I put, I did context 2 in the new Aqa as paper

Intro - defined mkt failure and govt failure

P1 - cigarettes - demerit good - neg externs in consumption + diagram , social cost and referred to date about externalities and cost to society, indirect tax and education etc help to reduce D and therefore reduce the mkt failure (gov intervention) and how intervention so far has halved no of smokers
    Eval , opportunity cost of this intervention and it could result in gov failure and depends on PED

P2 regulation is expensive govt failure - enforcement cost of imposing no smoking with U18's in car - opp cost too, in reality can't stop people doing what they want to do etc
    Eval- magnitude of neg externs is huge and not regulating can let problem get out of hand, it is proved regulation works ( can't really remember)

Conclusion - equity argument - normative judgment, regulation is needed as magnitude of externalities and social cost is huge , more should be done etc etc

It went something along those lines. Please be nice!! I don't want to worry even more haha!!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahret)
    All factors remain constant (ceteris paribus). You can have upward sloping demand curves.
    How sure are you?!

ReputationRep:
    How sure are you?!
    100%. Veblen goods have increasing demand as price increases, and it's in the spec.

ReputationRep:
    100%. Veblen goods have increasing demand as price increases, and it's in the spec.
    Law of Demand lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joebackhouse)
    Law of Demand lmao
    Lmao it has exceptions g...

Check the spec - Veblen goods and speculative demand lead to upward sloping demand curves. In fact just check Google.

ReputationRep:
    so for the question on the demand line is drawn on the assumption that- all factors remain constant but price. Is that wrong

ReputationRep:
    so for the question on the demand line is drawn on the assumption that- all factors remain constant but price. Is that wrong
    That's right yeah

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.