Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nope, officially no water is allowed and you're not even allowed to brush your teeth so most muslims' breath stinks to high heaven, it's the smelliest month of the year by far.
    What??? Oh my God I thought you guys were? Last Ramadan my Muslim friends were saying that they were all allowed to brush at dawn.

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Seriously? No water? I admire all muslims fasting in hot countries now haha there's no way I could do that
    I'd call it stupidity instead of admiration when every year there are reports of muslims in those countries dying from dehydration. They sacrificed their life for a silly superstition.........

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    What??? Oh my God I thought you guys were? Last Ramadan my Muslim friends were saying that they were all allowed to brush at dawn.
    maybe it depends on the family but most don't

ReputationRep:
    I think they eat at dawn. I know that it's easiest to fast in Australia because of the sun setting faster or something. Can't remember the reason why.
    Fasting in Iceland must be easy in winter, but impossible in Summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    It's worse in Sweden and other Nordic countries as the sunset isn't until very late, they can fast for nearly 23 hours.
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nope, officially no water is allowed and you're not even allowed to brush your teeth so most muslims' breath stinks to high heaven, it's the smelliest month of the year by far.
    That what makes Muslim fasts so gruelling. Especially in the summer when it's so hot. A lot of Muslims have called Hindu fasts "not real fasts" because we're allowed to drink water and milk and eat fruit.

But yeah I don't blame OP if she doesn't want to. Must be so hard.
    How testing, I mean, I admire your dedication to actually do that. I once did 24 hours with no food whatsoever and that was enough for me for a while

Practically cruelty to humans

ReputationRep:
    It's worse in Sweden and other Nordic countries as the sunset isn't until very late, they can fast for nearly 23 hours.
    I think that the person who wrote the Qu'ran wasn't aware of the midnight Sun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Fasting in Iceland must be easy in winter, but impossible in Summer.
    Iceland has virtually no Muslims so...

How testing, I mean, I admire your dedication to actually do that. I once did 24 hours with no food whatsoever and that was enough for me for a while

I remember when I fasted I lasted from 8am to 3am the next day with just a few fruits and a bottle of water. It was hard...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

It is pretty intense, there is an option to give money to people in need if you cannot fast but I don't see why we cannot do that anyway and skip the fasting and just give the money. Like two of my exams fall under Ramadan

ReputationRep:
    A large number of Muslim parents force their children to do it, even during exams. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I think muslims have to follow Mecca time then.

ReputationRep:
    We should have midnight Sun too.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Josb)
    Nope indeed. It is so intense and I have respect for them fasting more than myself, it must be crazy. By the time they break their fast and complete it, it's time to start fasting again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    A large number of Muslim parents force their children to do it, even during exams. :rolleyes:
    Well done for making such a broad claim without providing evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I remember when I fasted I lasted from 8am to 3am the next day with just a few fruits and a bottle of water. It was hard...
    Fasting is tough. I broke mine with a pizza. Best tasting pizza ever

It is pretty intense, there is an option to give money to people in need if you cannot fast but I don't see why we cannot do that anyway and skip the fasting and just give the money. Like two of my exams fall under Ramadan
    Mandantory fasting is kind of stupid if you ask me, it doesn't actually help the people you're meant to be doing it for, does it?

(Original post by Josb)
    That's shocking and should be illegal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you actually think Muslim parents will openly say in public that they force their kids to fast?

l
    Broke mine with garlic naan and chickpeas
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad

Mandantory fasting is kind of stupid if you ask me, it doesn't actually help the people you're meant to be doing it for, does it?

That's shocking and should be illegal
    I know, it should be that we provide food for those who need it and give them money not fast as essentially it makes no difference except for cleansing your sins. Every time I bring this up with my mum she shuts me down and says we have to fast, but for what though? If it's to help people in need then technically it doesn't..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    You just have to read some TSR threads about Ramadan, or the ex-Muslim society.

Edit: read the first page of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Fasting is something practiced in several religions not just Islam for example Christianity it gives a taste of what its like for the people starving around the world and even then its not enough as we are greeted to a huge feast at the end of they day, when they arent as for brushing ur teeth that is allowed because u dont exactly swallow ur toothpaste or drink the water unless ur some retard.

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually think Muslim parents will openly say in public that they force their kids to fast?

Broke mine with garlic naan and chickpeas
    Noice

ReputationRep:
    Noice
    Pigged out so much the next day. Ngl it was the nicest plate of beans,sausages and eggs ever for breakfast

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.