Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    You know the average height for a woman is around 5'3- 5'4 right? not sure how you came to the conclusion she is child size.
    When I was that height I was still shopping in the kids aisle, she asked about men's sizes

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Child's sizes haha! The average height for a women in the UK is 5"3! I don't even need petite clothes let alone children's clothes!
    You asked about men's sizes, I answered

If you want my opinion, no. But being 'chubby' is totally fine as long as YOU are happy. If you're happy with your body, then It doesn't matter what other people think

ReputationRep:
    You do know that the average height of a woman in the UK is 5"3 right? So, since I'm 5"3.5 and a size 8 I'm "chubby", "wide and dumpy", "fat" AND "slim" now according to your different comments. Brilliant logic there I must say.
    So you caught me out on height then, congratz. I mean around average human height which is around 5'5.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    Aha you seem really nice btw, hope you're okay!

(Original post by Andy98)
    When I was that height I was still shopping in the kids aisle, she asked about men's sizes

You asked about men's sizes, I answered
    I'm confused, I think you must have misunderstood what I said. I was talking about me (in terms of women's sizes). I didn't mean the part you quoted in a bad way or anything; I thought that you meant that you thought that I was child sized and I just thought that that was funny cause I know I'm short but I'm not that short!

If you want my opinion, no. But being 'chubby' is totally fine as long as YOU are happy. If you're happy with your body, then It doesn't matter what other people think
    Thank you!

(Original post by Jebedee)
    So you caught me out on height then, congratz. I mean around average human height which is around 5'5.
    I was just being properly accurate. I'm not sure where you got that figure from. It seems like you just made it up yourself to suit your argument but never mind clearly because I'm a size 8 and 1.5 inches shorter than that, even though my BMI is actually quite close to underweight, I must be so fat!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm confused, I think you must have misunderstood what I said. I was talking about me (in terms of women's sizes). I didn't mean the part you quoted in a bad way or anything; I thought that you meant that you thought that I was child sized and I just thought that that was funny cause I know I'm short but I'm not that short!
    Ohhh no! I just meant that if you wanted to buy a men's T-shirt for example, then you might have to look in the kids aisle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by slamtheworld)
    Aww, thank you! I am okay I think in general. Most people on here have been really nice which has been great but I have to admit that when I started this thread I didn't quite anticipate some of the responses so it has been a bit difficult to deal with sometimes. I have tried to debate back at some of the negative people on here but it's still not very nice to be "fat shamed" really nastily for being a size 8. Hopefully, I'll be fine in the end though! If you don't mind me asking, are you male or female?

Ohhh no! I just meant that if you wanted to buy a men's T-shirt for example, then you might have to look in the kids aisle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right haha.

"Okay, so I want to say thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to reply to the thread so far. It's been really helpful! It's been great that most of the replies have been very positive: saying that I'm not chubby, I'm a healthy weight and I'm fine the way I am etc. Logically, I think that you are all probably right about that but also taking into account what everyone has said about how it's important to be happy yourself with your weight/size I think I will only be fully happy with myself in terms of that if I do lose weight.
    I would be hoping to lose about 1 stone and get back to being a size 6. Is it possible to lose 1 stone in approximately 2 months? And does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?" my own QUOTE
    Any advice on this yet?

(Original post by slamtheworld)
    Cancel my last question haha. I know you're a guy; I'd just forgotten for a moment who you were cause there have been so may people commenting on this thread!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Oh right haha.
    I can see where the misunderstanding came from though with hindsight

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was just being properly accurate. I'm not sure where you got that figure from. It seems like you just made it up yourself to suit your argument but never mind clearly because I'm a size 8 and 1.5 inches shorter than that, even though my BMI is actually quite close to underweight, I must be so fat!
    No one cares about BMI. It neglects muscle mass.

ReputationRep:
    "Okay, so I want to say thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to reply to the thread so far. It's been really helpful! It's been great that most of the replies have been very positive: saying that I'm not chubby, I'm a healthy weight and I'm fine the way I am etc. Logically, I think that you are all probably right about that but also taking into account what everyone has said about how it's important to be happy yourself with your weight/size I think I will only be fully happy with myself in terms of that if I do lose weight.
    I would be hoping to lose about 1 stone and get back to being a size 6. Is it possible to lose 1 stone in approximately 2 months? And does anyone have any advice on the best way to do it?" my own QUOTE
    Any advice on this yet?
    If you lose 1 stone you'd be around 7 stone with a BMI of 17.1, which is underweight I do not recommend this. I know someone in this thread has already said BMI is useless because it doesn't take into account muscle mass, but that is an argument against the overweight side of the scale. Not the underweight side.

While yes it is important to be happy with yourself, it's also important to realise why something makes you unhappy or happy. So you can decide what changes are reasonable and healthy not just physically but emotionally.

I can see where the misunderstanding came from though with hindsight

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, sometimes it's difficult to fully understand what people are saying from just a short comment on here especially when there are often so many comments from so many people at once.

No one cares about BMI. It neglects muscle mass.
    BMI is a respected and very widely used calculation. It is used by the NHS and the arguments against it are to do with people being incorrectly labelled as overweight due to a large muscle mass, higher bone density etc. It is an argument about the overweight end of the scale, not the underweight end of the scale. Seriously though, what do you want me to do? To start thinking that I'm really fat even at a size 8? To get more and more insecure about the way I look?

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    If you lose 1 stone you'd be around 7 stone with a BMI of 17.1, which is underweight I do not recommend this. I know someone in this thread has already said BMI is useless because it doesn't take into account muscle mass, but that is an argument against the overweight side of the scale. Not the underweight side.

While yes it is important to be happy with yourself, it's also important to realise why something makes you unhappy or happy. So you can decide what changes are reasonable and healthy not just physically but emotionally.
    How much weight do you think it would be healthy to lose then? Do you think I'm getting too emotional about this? As I said, I started this thread to get constructive opinions but I underestimated what some of the people on here would be like. I've tried to debate back at the negative people on here because logically I do know that they are being ridiculous and a size 8 is not fat and I don't want other people to take their comments to heart either but it is difficult when I was already worried about it to get some of the comments I've had directed at me. It's hard to have people say I'm "chubby", "fat", "wide and dumpy", that "being fat is disgusting" and try to "fat shame" me and argue and argue to keep on trying to prove that I'm fat and not take it to heart and find it hurtful. Even when I was underweight I used to worry about my weight and diet even when already underweight so like I said now that I have gained weight recently due to being ill I've started to worry about it even more and find the pressure in society for women to be skinny even harder to deal with. So yes you are probably right that being unhappy due to all of that is not really a healthy reason to lose weight but it is difficult to be happy with yourself and not worry about that when you get comments like that. I just feel that I would be happier if I got back to a size 4 or a size 6 because recently I have started to feel really self conscious about the way I look.

ReputationRep:
    BMI is a respected and very widely used calculation. It is used by the NHS and the arguments against it are to do with people being incorrectly labelled as overweight due to a large muscle mass, higher bone density etc. It is an argument about the overweight end of the scale, not the underweight end of the scale. Seriously though, what do you want me to do? To start thinking that I'm really fat even at a size 8? To get more and more insecure about the way I look?
    No it is not. It might be used by the NHS as a rough guide but remember, the NHS also had a homeopathy department until a couple of years ago so that isn't a good indicator. Bone density only ranges from person to person by 3% so that is a non-issue.

I don't mind what you do, but if you're going to ask for people's opinions honestly then don't complain when you get them.

No it is not. It might be used by the NHS as a rough guide but remember, the NHS also had a homeopathy department until a couple of years ago so that isn't a good indicator. Bone density only ranges from person to person by 3% so that is a non-issue.

I don't mind what you do, but if you're going to ask for people's opinions honestly then don't complain when you get them.
    BMI is very widely used by the medical profession in the UK. That is a fact but I'm not going to get into a yes it is, no it isn't childish argument with you. If you admit that it's used by the NHS even as a rough guide then you don't have much of a case. My BMI is 19.8 and to be a healthy weight your BMI needs to be between 18.5 and 25 so my BMI is much closer to underweight than overweight. Your argument would only work if my BMI was close to overweight. As I have said, I am a size 8, I am 8 stone, my BMI is 19.8 and my measurements are Bust: 36, Waist: 26, Hips: 35 and I cannot see how any of that makes me overweight or fat. I would also say that for some conditions alternative medicine can actually work well but I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of alternative versus conventional medicine with you. Bone density still can affect BMI though although not as much as muscle mass. I'm not complaining about you giving your opinion in itself, what I'm objecting to is both the insulting was that you are putting it across and also your lack of understanding of the fact that I am definitely not anywhere close to medically overweight.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.