Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why did God allow 50 innocent people to get murdered? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    You are wrong:

John 5:24 ESV / 288 helpful votes Helpful Not HelpfulTruly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 8:31-32 ESV / 181 helpful votes Helpful Not HelpfulSo Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

John 10:28 ESV / 139 helpful votes Helpful Not HelpfulI give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

1 John 5:10-13 ESV / 130 helpful votes Helpful Not HelpfulWhoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 John 5:13 ESV / 113 helpful votes Helpful Not HelpfulI write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.There are many more besides
    We each have our own faiths. Regardless, I'll see you on the other side and we can discuss who was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)

I don't know how to prove it to you on here. Just take my word for it. It's not boasting. There are people who know the word by heart but never apply it. My efforts to apply it to my life everyday can't be explained here I'm afraid. But your support is definitely appreciated.
    Have you received the Holy Spirit yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kemalasik)
    We each have our own faiths. Regardless, I'll see you on the other side and we can discuss who was right.
    If you say so, we'll all be resurrected one day, there is no doubt about that.

ReputationRep:
    Adele? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=0to100;65826925]

Surprised?

ReputationRep:
    to me God is like a guardian angel. If you believe in God and seek and do right, you'll be safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snooppuppy420)
    I am a god
    Even though I'm a man of god
    My whole life in the hands of god
    So y'all better quit playing with god
    Okay frog-Trump dude :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    It's a misconception because the teachings of Jesus are nothing like the teachings of Allah/ Mohammed. Go read the NT then read the Qu'ran. You will see there is a big difference between what Mohammed preached and what Jesus preached.
    I dunno, I think I've read enough of both, I haven't read any of the Torah though.

Yeah, I don't think Mohammed liked the idea of Jesus and his teachings. Tbh, I don't see how anyone could think Mohammed and Jesus were on the same page.

Well, like I said, it depends on the context of the discussion, but there are loads similarities when it comes to the concept of what God is and what motivates him and that he is the one and only, ect.

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howtobealady)
    to me God is like a guardian angel. If you believe in God and seek and do right, you'll be safe.
    Are you implying that these innocent people were not 'doing right' somehow and that they deserved to die? I am not trolling, I genuinely don't understand your post if the latter is not its intended meaning. There are a lot of people who believe in God and lead good lives. Some of them are brutally murdered. There are a lot of people who don't believe and live profligate and sinful lives. They often die peacefully of old age with their family around them, not regretting a single moment. The universe makes a lot more sense if you consider that there is no God, and therefore the only thing preventing bad things from happening is ourselves and those around us, and a little luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I dunno, I think I've read enough of both, I haven't read any of the Torah though.

Yeah, I don't think Mohammed liked the idea of Jesus and his teachings. Tbh, I don't see how anyone could think Mohammed and Jesus were on the same page.

Well, like I said, it depends on the context of the discussion, but there are loads similarities when it comes to the concept of what God is and what motivates him and that he is the one and only, ect.
    No, Muhammed (PBUH) respected Jesus as do all Muslims as he was also a prophet of Allah.
    One can not be Muslim without believing in the virgin birth

ReputationRep:
    No, Muhammed (PBUH) respected Jesus as do all Muslims as he was also a prophet of Allah.
    One can not be Muslim without believing in the virgin birth
    Huh, I thought Muslims believed that Jesus was not the son of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Religion is dangerous. I think it needs to be discussed.

It has been proven time and time again that the world, without religion, is equally as dangerous as you believe.

You have Lenin during the 1920s who dismantled the Orthodox Church and executed many of the priests and religious people alike. Stalin continued this policy throughout the Communist Era (although towards the 1990s, repression of religion was relaxed).

The vast majority of people in the Russian empire were, at the time of the revolution, religious believers, whereas the communists aimed to break the power of all religious institutions and eventually replace religious belief with atheism.
    You have a state that regards religion as evil and prefers atheism over religion. "Logically", it would be assumed that Russia would become "less evil" because religion was regarded as "dangerous".

This was not the case as seen by the use of the Cheka (essentially replaced the the Orkhana) used to oppress those who spoke against the regime. Soviet Russia was not democratic - even the Bolshevik party wasn't internally democratic (the ban of factions in the 1920s)!

The situation is somewhat similar in North Korea, again, an atheist state.

North Korea is an atheist state where public religion is discouraged. Based on estimates from the late 1990s and the 2000s, North Korea is mostly atheist and agnostic, with the religious life dominated by the traditions of Korean shamanism and Chondoism. There are small communities of Buddhists and Christians.
    This still continues to this day. You have a leader who rules ruthlessly and kills his own people. It's so extreme that citizens are led to believe that Kim Jong-un's predecessor is still president and that he is still alive to this day despite the fact that he's dead. Citizens are even led to believe that Kim Jong-un learned to drive at the age of 3.

Time and time again it has been proven that a world without religion is no better than a world with religion. Past events have even indicated that without religion, you can have tyranny of minority. So I have to disagree with you that religion is dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Huh, I thought Muslims believed that Jesus was not the son of God.
    Jesus isn't the son of god. Jesus is a prophet in Islam that is still alive.

ReputationRep:
    See. Why are you mentioning Baptism? The murderer is Islamic and he did this as a martyr after joining ISIL. So if anything the MOSQUES are cheering. REAL Baptists if you even know any probably aren't happy that children of God have been killed out of hatred, especially when the Bible SAYS hate not the sinner.
    First google who the Westbro Baptist church are, then speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's a joke, right?
    No I'm pretty sure he's being frank with what his religion believes.

Lmao ask Allah to bring you peace and pray that he shows up to give you some sense. Forgive me for wasting my time thinking you had some.
    YOUR CAPS LOCK ISN'T FAZING ME!

YOU QUOTED ME 1ST! AND YOU DIDN'T COMPREHEND ANYTHING I SAID! YOU WENT ON AND ON ABOUT THE WORD ALLAH! IT'S AN ARABIC WORD SO DON'T ACT LIKE MUSLIMS DON'T SAY IT!

YOU STILL DIDN'T ANSWER THAT'S WHY YOU'RE FLAMING OFF IN CAPS LOCK I CAN CAPS LOCK TOO! ":laugh:" Little child you are.

And while you're annoying as hell no one will deter me from defending yes MY god. You quoted ME first but now suddenly desperately want me to back out of the conversation because you don't know anything, so you're throwing an embarrassing tantrum! You didn't even know that Islam and Christianity have two totally different set of commandments! LMAO.

AGAIN and no I won't stop saying it!

This man is ISLAMIC SO ASK THE MUSLIM GOD ALLAH WHY HE DIDN'T STEP IN AND IF HE CONDONES THIS HATRED! Leave my Christian god out of it! And that's rich you're on about insults when your 1st POST TO ME said my argument is weak! :rolleyes:

If you can't handle the bloody heat...
    resort to trash talk and caps lock and beg to be left alone.
    You need to calm down, all this damn religion is getting to your head.

(Original post by DMcGovern)
    If he's not stopped the Holocaust, he's not going to be sparing the lives of 50 people in one shooting.

#FreeWill

While the brutally honest and truthful answer is that “He’s God and He knows what He’s doing”, there are a few specific points that can help us to better understand these tragedies. And, quite frankly, understanding them can often make the difference between moving closer to the Lord or turning our backs on Him.

Free Will – God loves us so much that He gives us the gift of free will. This means that while we are free to do good, we also have the ability to do evil. The person or persons who caused the explosions in Boston chose to commit an evil act. In no way did God cause this to happen. According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC):

Angels and men, as intelligent and free creatures, have to journey toward their ultimate destinies by their free choice and preferential love. They can therefore go astray. Indeed, they have sinned. Thus has moral evil, incommensurably more harmful than physical evil, entered the world. God is in no way, directly or indirectly, the cause of moral evil. He permits it, however, because he respects the freedom of his creatures and, mysteriously, knows how to derive good from it. (CCC 311)

Greater Good – In his Letter To The Romans, St. Paul states that “We know that IN EVERYTHING God works for good with those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28, emphasis mine) Not just the good things, but the bad things too. How is it possible that good can result from the mutilation and murder of innocent people? While I don’t claim to understand all of God’s reasons, there are a few obvious ones that stand out. When tragedy occurs, we get to see people helping one another. Every time a tragedy takes place, there are numerous stories of heroism and genuine love of neighbor that emerge. We also see an increase in prayer. Many people who aren’t used to praying suddenly “hit their knees”. We’re also reminded of our mortality and how we’re not really in control of our own destiny.

In time we can discover that God in his almighty providence can bring a good from the consequences of an evil, even a moral evil, caused by his creatures: “It was not you”, said Joseph to his brothers, “who sent me here, but God. . . You meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive.” From the greatest moral evil ever committed – the rejection and murder of God’s only Son, caused by the sins of all men – God, by his grace that “abounded all the more”,brought the greatest of goods: the glorification of Christ and our redemption. But for all that, evil never becomes a good. (CCC 312)

Trust – When tragic events occur, we are given an opportunity to trust God. It is during the dark times that we must truly “walk by faith and not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7). When skies are blue, it’s a lot easier for us to trust than during storms. However, storms often give us the best chance to grow closer to the Lord.

An Invitation – When bad things happen, either in our own life or in the lives of others, we are invited to assist God in bringing good out of evil. We can do this by praying. Although the Lord doesn’t need our help, He allows us to help Him through the act of prayer.

Since Abraham, intercession – asking on behalf of another has been characteristic of a heart attuned to God’s mercy. In the age of the Church, Christian intercession participates in Christ’s, as an expression of the communion of saints. In intercession, he who prays looks “not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others,” even to the point of praying for those who do him harm. (CCC 2635)

Heaven – As much as we’d like it to be, this world is not perfect. Pain and suffering do exist. Accepting this will cause us to remain calm when these events occur. In addition, it will increase our desire for heaven, where there is NO PAIN AND SUFFERING!

We can therefore hope in the glory of heaven promised by God to those who love him and do his will. In every circumstance, each one of us should hope, with the grace of God, to persevere “to the end” and to obtain the joy of heaven, as God’s eternal reward for the good works accomplished with the grace of Christ.

Although it’s not easy, it’s crucial for us to keep our eye on the Lord when “bad things” happen. Blaming Him for the suffering, although understandable, is neither accurate or wise. If we truly believe that He loves us, we should strive to see His goodness in everything. Doing so will bring us great peace, even in times of turmoil.
    Interestingly you've actually attempted to answer the question unlike a lot of other religious posters. Unfortunately it still sounds like bull. God makes a point of asserting hos sovereignty at every opportunity but then he invites us to help him by praying? And even then it's up to him whether or not he can be bothered to listen to it. He sounds more sadistic by the second.

What do you mean "could have stopped?" God isn't a genie waiting to pop out when **** goes wrong. Everyone has their judgement day. Those people who are murdered or killed before their time could be angels. See how we're discussing this, see how everyone's getting upset on and off here about this? See how this Omar Mateen guy is being demonised as he should be? See how it's albeit making people question or defend religion, question God? Also which God are you on about? The Islamic one, the Christian one, the Judeo one...? I'm sure the Christian God and the Muslim god etc have different ideas how to run the place, so I'm sure where one might see wrong the other may or may not. It's your CHOICE which you believe is running the place, and you now have "rules" to follow. You break them>>consequence. That's it.
    What's the point in God if he can't intervene when there's a problem? Why does he reiterate at EVERY opportunity his sovereignty and power to save if you believe? Why does he only decide to save a minute proportion leaving the others to carry on believing he is listening? There are many similarities between God and Allah, in fact they are the same person. The only difference is in jesus and mohammed. Don't try and take the high ground here.

You also stated that perhaps these people had to die so that we can yet again have another boring discussion about God. That's disgusting and I hope no one you know has to die so that one more religious nut can use their name in conversation to help convert someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lujubi)
    Jesus isn't the son of god. Jesus is a prophet in Islam that is still alive.
    How can he be a liar as well as a prophet in Islam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Nonsense.
    Aaahhhh.....OK!
    Burden of proof is a very common term employed in the context of debates, especially theological and philosophical ones.
    Did you really just say that? Even when people have casual informal debates on theology they demand proof? What an uptight world yours is then.
    Don't insult people's intelligence
    If I insulted anyone's intelligence, it would only be yours. But I didn't. Would you like me to start?
    by saying it's hard to understand
    I never said it's hard to understand. Come on.
    Simply put, it's the requirement of those making the extraordinary claims to provide the extraordinary evidence.
    WOW! Even with Google search and Wikipedia at your disposal all you managed to come up with is a scrambled incoherent and still wrong definition?
    So it is you who is taking the easy way out by making unfounded claims about reality.
    Which unfounded claim did I make about which reality? Please quote me.

ReputationRep:
    All Abrahamic religions believe the same God.
    No, they don't. The religions are similar, but the gods aren't the same. For example, Muslims don't believe Jesus is God whereas Christians do, ergo different gods.

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't. The religions are similar, but the gods aren't the same. For example, Muslims don't believe Jesus is God whereas Christians do, ergo different gods.
    I disagree on that point. The three religions of the book worship the same god - all-knowing, omnipotent, eternal, creator, judge, etc. They disagree on his message.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.