Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Another of those annoying facts to consider.

Before joining the EU the UK had slowest growth of G7. Since joining EU it has the highest.

Attachment 555483

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Before joining the EU the UK had slowest growth of G7. Since joining EU it has the highest.

Attachment 555483

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure you can attribute that to the EU. It looks like UK growth only really started to shoot up in the mid 1980s when privatisation under Thatcher kicked in.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp

I'm not going to dispute that the economic side of the EU hasn't been positive but until 1993 the EU was far more about just economics rather than becoming the the organisation it is not. It's not about the past, it's about the future & where the EU is going, which is even further down the superstate route, isn't where I want to see it go.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I'm not sure you can attribute that to the EU. It looks like UK growth only really started to shoot up in the mid 1980s when privatisation under Thatcher kicked in.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp

I'm not going to dispute that the economic side of the EU hasn't been positive but until 1993 the EU was far more about just economics rather than becoming the the organisation it is not. It's not about the past, it's about the future & where the EU is going, which is even further down the superstate route, isn't where I want to see it go.
    You need this chart

Name:  1466695541588.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  29.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Attachment 555483

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You forgot to include the proof that the EU was the cause and not, for instance, the total overhaul of the UK economy under Thatcher (which made it flexible) or its very significant development of the non-EU markets into trade surplus (and nothing to do with the EU).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I agree that, for example, 35% percent of the vote with a 65-70% turnout isn't exactly a majority (for all political parties) which is why I wouldn't oppose making voting mandatory as long as there was a "None of the Above/You'll all Rubbish" box.
    It's called spoiling your ballot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You forgot to include the proof that the EU was the cause and not, for instance, the total overhaul of the UK economy under Thatcher (which made it flexible) or its very significant development of the non-EU markets into trade surplus (and nothing to do with the EU).
    Perhaps, and being in the EU didn't hinder it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, and being in the EU didn't hinder it.
    No. I'm sorry.That link to your proof didn't work. Can you correct it and post again please?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    No. I'm sorry.That link to your proof didn't work. Can you correct it and post again please?
    The contention is the UK has done well since 1973. Prove it hasn't. Or prove the EU has hindered it and it would have done better outside the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The contention is the UK has done well since 1973. Prove it hasn't. Or prove the EU has hindered it and it would have done better outside the EU.
    Is that how it works? One person makes an unfounded claim and everyone else has to find proof that it is wrong, with the result, If they don't manage to, that the claim is accepted as fact? Is that how things are taught in modern British universities?

Are you sure?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Is that how it works? One person makes an unfounded claim and everyone else has to find proof that it is wrong, with the result, If they don't manage to, that the claim is accepted as fact? Is that how things are taught in modern British universities?

Are you sure?
    What was my unfounded claim? Read the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What was my unfounded claim? Read the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah! So we'll leave half-claims and implications hanging, challenge people who ask for proof to provide their own proof of the opposite and hope to leave people with the impression that the original "non-claim" is true, eh?

Nice try.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah! So we'll leave half-claims and implications hanging, challenge people who ask for proof to provide their own proof of the opposite and hope to leave people with the impression that the original "non-claim" is true, eh?

Nice try.
    Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Attachment 555483

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

And it's hardly surprising that the only thing remainers consider is GDP figures, because apparently that is the only metric of things being good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc
    Propter post. But have you considered the following?

Caesar adsum jam forte
    Brutus aderat
    Caesar sic in omnibus
    Brutus sic in at

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.