A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    For any set X we have (trivially) \emptyset \subset X. So the set of all subsets of X has to contain all the subsets of X, one of which is \emptyset.

Think about what being a subset means. If I claim \emptyset \subset X, I'm saying that for all x \in \emptyset, I also have x \in X, this is a vacuously true statement.

ETA: can you name me an element in \emptyset that is not in X?
    Oh, I see. I got confused due to the fact that \Omega is a non-empty set, and for some reason I think of non-empty set as an element i.e 0, and in this way I confused myself with the statement that G includes the empty set, haha. Sorry about that, I am sometimes a big idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the link for the example sheet that cambridge send as summer work? I remember that it had a question on proving the irrationality of pi and the sum of inverse squares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    For Q4 of exercise 1.3 (p11) of the Beardon book, is it necessary to look at the product of every element individually e.g. to show associativity/closure? I dont see that the cycles in different elements are disjoint so I dont think I can just conclude that  \alpha \beta = \beta \alpha for alpha beta are any 2 elements in the set.
    Are you referring to the composition of permutations in a symmetry group?

If so, the fact that disjoint cycles commute should intuitively be obvious. Disjoint cycles operate on different numbers.

Formally,

Take disjoint cycles a,b. The permutation ab 'does b first, then does a', and the permutation ba does this in the opposite order. We can show that ab = ba by showing that each element has the same image for ab and for ba.

Suppose an element x is in cycle b, and b takes x to y. Then y is in b. So y is not in a (a does not 'act' on y) and ab takes x to y. Now suppose u is in cycle a, taken to v. Since u is not in cycle b, overall ab will take u to v.

Similarly you can show that ba will also take x to y, and u to v. Therefore ab = ba. They are the same function (permutation).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecasx)
    Are you referring to the composition of permutations in a symmetry group?

If so, the fact that disjoint cycles commute should intuitively be obvious. Disjoint cycles operate on different numbers.

Formally,

Take disjoint cycles a,b. The permutation ab 'does b first, then does a', and the permutation ba does this in the opposite order. We can show that ab = ba by showing that each element has the same image for ab and for ba.

Suppose an element x is in cycle b, and b takes x to y. Then y is in b. So y is not in a (a does not 'act' on y) and ab takes x to y. Now suppose u is in cycle a, taken to v. Since u is not in cycle b, overall ab will take u to v.

Similarly you can show that ba will also take x to y, and u to v. Therefore ab = ba. They are the same function (permutation).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What I meant is that thats what I would like to do but the cycles aren't disjoint in the first place so all I could see is checking each element separatly (even though there were only 4 elements so it wasnt too bad)

ReputationRep:
    What I meant is that thats what I would like to do but the cycles aren't disjoint in the first place so all I could see is checking each element separatly (even though there were only 4 elements so it wasnt too bad)
    Ah, yes. A case by case check is really the best way forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellymath)
    Does anyone have the link for the example sheet that cambridge send as summer work? I remember that it had a question on proving the irrationality of pi and the sum of inverse squares.
    I think what you are looking for is the Introductory sheet A0 in this http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/examples/

ReputationRep:
    It is not summer work, rather it is used in Jesus as an example sheet before they cover enough content in lectures for them to be able to attempt a proper example sheet and have a proper supervision. It can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    I think (not certain) you are right that Cambridge do send out some work to do after offers are confirmed, though I am not certain if you can find it anywhere online easily. It is probably better to wait to receive it anyway.

At least, I have heard of it before.

Similarly, this website has some "Introductory Example Sheets" designed for the very beginning of the course - kind of like a zeroth example sheet. I just did the N&S one and isn't really difficult at all, but the Groups one may be better (I haven't looked).

ReputationRep:
    There is a booklet but tis really easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The worksheet referred to above is here: https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/sites/ww...s/workbook.pdf

Name:  16r8hh.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  183.0 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That makes it even.
    Can't believe I wrote you're. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Name:  16r8hh.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  183.0 KB
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That makes it even.
    Can't believe I wrote you're. lol.
    That moment when uve been looking at the signs of permutations for the past 2 hours and go on tsr to have a break...

That moment when uve been looking at the signs of permutations for the past 2 hours and go on tsr to have a break...
    My whole life is a break.

Name:  16rasa.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  61.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    My whole life is a break.
    pls no moar XD

ReputationRep:
    pls no moar XD
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1467400465.687095.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  66.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol u know wat i mean

Muons Theorem: Every number = 0
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just realised your username is EnglishMuon and not EnglishMoon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just realised your username is EnglishMuon and not EnglishMoon
    hahaha who knows could be a typo

ReputationRep:
    👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys after reading this thread, I went and got Algebra and Geometry by Beardon. Its been interesting so far (although I've just begun chapter 2).I was reading the page on "The Principle of Induction II", and I didn't understand something.When he says: "If not, then we can write m+1=ab and so (obviously) P(m+1)=P(a)P(b)".Shouldn't that be P(m+1)=P(a)+P(b) ?Edit: How the **** do I put paragraphs in?

(Original post by Oxmath)
    Guys after reading this thread, I went and got Algebra and Geometry by Beardon. Its been interesting so far (although I've just begun chapter 2).I was reading the page on "The Principle of Induction II", and I didn't understand something.When he says: "If not, then we can write m+1=ab and so (obviously) P(m+1)=P(a)P(b)".Shouldn't that be P(m+1)=P(a)+P(b) ?Edit: How the **** do I put paragraphs in?
    I don't think the alternative you gave is true either, consider m = 3. Also it's used again later in the proof.
    Removing the restriction the the factors counted by P(n) have to be prime seems to solve the problem.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.