MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShatnersBassoon)
    I did the MAT 2014 paper and on question 1, part (j), I was confused about why \displaystyle 3x^2\int_{-1}^1 f(t) dt can be integrated to \left[x^3]_{-1}^1 \int_{-1}^1 f(x) du  . In fact, the entirety of the answer confuses me, really. Can anyone explain it to me in a simpler way than the Oxford solutions do?
    There's a couple of typos in the solutions - the integrand should read f(u)du or f(x)dx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaserRanger)
    Actually, Oxford's solution is quite trivial except that it didn't explicitly specify that
    \displaystyle\int_{-1}^1 f(t) dt is a constant (but it shouldn't be hard to deduce that), hence the integral can be treated as a number when integrating.
    Yes, I did think \displaystyle\int_{-1}^1 f(t) dt was just a number so I replaced the last term with 3ax^2. But this will just integrate to ax^3 - I don't see the connection with \displaystyle\int_{-1}^1 f(x) dx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShatnersBassoon)
    Yes, I did think \displaystyle\int_{-1}^1 f(t) dt was just a number so I replaced the last term with 3ax^2. But this will just integrate to ax^3 - I don't see the connection with \displaystyle\int_{-1}^1 f(x) dx.
    But you didn't put the limits for x in.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else reading this and feeling like they're absolutely ****ed

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for just Computer Science - looking at the feedback for each year they just state the mark required for questions 1-5 with no mention about questions 6 and 7?

ReputationRep:
    what is this
    Name:  intergral.png
Views: 47
Size:  9.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    what is this
    Name:  intergral.png
Views: 47
Size:  9.4 KB
    Ah, I know which question you're talking about - it's the multiple choice question with 3 different integrals, yes?

Just so you know, for that question, you don't need to evaluate the integrals at all. You technically can, but it's not on the syllabus and it'll probably take longer.

Some more help if you need it:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Think of it as 1/(cos3x). Is there a point where the graph's undefined between 0 and pi/8? If the graph starts at a certain value, can it ever "cross over" this undefined value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewman99)
    Ah, I know which question you're talking about - it's the multiple choice question with 3 different integrals, yes?

Just so you know, for that question, you don't need to evaluate the integrals at all. You technically can, but it's not on the syllabus and it'll probably take longer.

Some more help if you need it:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Think of it as 1/(cos3x). Is there a point where the graph's undefined between 0 and pi/8? If the graph starts at a certain value, can it ever "cross over" this undefined value?
    i just dont get why the dx is above the cos3x

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help explain G of the multiple choice questions from 2011?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Yes, the bold is right.

Well the next ones are hyperbolae, can you sketch those?

And if you think about it you only need those hyperbolae to answer the rest of the second part.
    Hey, I still really can't follow the question feel so stupid. Im guessing that the max for x^2+y^2+4xy is 3? (Probably wrong) since its = (x+y)^2+2xy and (x+y)^2 is dominant term and we know the max for x+y so we just sub it in to get 3? I don't really know how to do the next 2 parts though, would you please guide me in the right direction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moogle679)
    Thank you
    think of it as a compound function

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielhx)
    Hey, I still really can't follow the question feel so stupid. Im guessing that the max for x^2+y^2+4xy is 3? (Probably wrong) since its = (x+y)^2+2xy and (x+y)^2 is dominant term and we know the max for x+y so we just sub it in to get 3? I don't really know how to do the next 2 parts though, would you please guide me in the right direction?
    You're overcomplicating things. When is x^2+y^2 largest, when is xy largest, is there somewhere where both these things happen?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    What is the function f for inputs between -1 and 0? Note x^2-1 is in that range.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2.png
Views: 46
Size:  69.1 KB
    dont get this

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find the specimen paper B much easier that the other papers??

ReputationRep:
    think of it as a compound function
    (Original post by RichE)
    What is the function f for inputs between -1 and 0? Note x^2-1 is in that range.
    Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  485.1 KB

This is what I did but I'm pretty sure it's wrong, nothing is clicking with me for this question for some reason

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  485.1 KB

This is what I did but I'm pretty sure it's wrong, nothing is clicking with me for this question for some reason
    looks right

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh I'm so ***king nervous But not studying 👻🙀

ReputationRep:
    x
    dont get this
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the function  \displaystyle f^{i}gf^{j}gf^{k} = 4x + 4k + 2j + i , you worked this out in iii)

so if you want to find the different ways to get  \displaystyle 4x + 4m then comparing constant terms of your large function (the fgfgf thing) and the required function

we get  \displaystyle 4x + 4k + 2j + i = 4x + 4m so therefore  \displaystyle 4k + 2j + i = 4m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 17lina)
    Ahhhh I'm so ***king nervous But not studying 👻🙀
    only 23 days left already, time is going so fast :eek:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.