The Student Room Group

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blueribbons99
I need advice on these a level choices, I have chosen maths, chemistry, biology and physics, I will most likely drop physics after a year, but is this going to cause me to be too over worked? There are really no other subjects I enjoy so I am very unsure on what to do, any opinions welcome! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will definitely require hard work and effort to do triple sciences, but in the long run it really is worth it, just due to the vast number of choices it opens for university courses.
Original post by She-Ra
Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wish to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.

Learn how to revise effectively and do not pretend to do work by watching Youtube videos on the subject you are trying to revise. That was a poor decision on my behalf.
Original post by Liam0324
Learn how to revise effectively and do not pretend to do work by watching Youtube videos on the subject you are trying to revise. That was a poor decision on my behalf.

If you can find good scientific videos on youtube though like the ones on Khan academy or handwritten tutorials, 100% give them a try as they are brilliant!
Year 12 is a breeze, but you should probably start revising the year 13 course before you're even in year 13 :'D There's never enough time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 264
Whenever you're revising, take notes. Whether that be writing a more condensed version of your revision material, or writing out your solutions to past paper questions. Don't just read through your revision material or look through past papers and think to yourself "Yeah, that makes sense". I did that for a few exams which I probably could have done better in :colondollar: And do lots of past papers, that's important too!
Do not take A level Lightly because not everyone can afford a re- take. But if you work really hard its worth it ;-) ALSO PAST PAPERS DO IT EVERY SECOND !!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Im doing A2 physics and didn't do AS MATH
:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Choose subjects you're interested in, or at least the ones you know you can do well in. That's the easy part. The hard part is understanding that no matter how hard you try, you can't make yourself feel comfortable in a class that you hate and sooner or later you're going to get overwhelmed. My advice is to drop that subject as soon as you can, even if you won't be able to take up another subject in its place. Your happiness is infinitely more important than the opinions of others; don't just keep your head down and struggle through it. Don't worry about disappointing anyone.
Hello!

Here's some advice based on my personal experience with A levels:

- Past papers are your friend. As you do more and more, you start to recognise types of questions and find that there is a pattern/method to answering certain questions.

- You can find lots of really helpful, interesting, and informative videos on YouTube that are related to your subject; Crash Course, SciShow, and Khan Academy are my personal favourite channels. These are particularly good if you have a spare moment but don't really feel like doing full-on revision.

- Stay curious. Nothing is worse than not enjoying your subjects and feeling like revision is a chore. A good way to combat this is by reading around your subjects, find things out that aren't necessarily on your spec. Somehow I enjoyed learning things more when I knew I didn't have to remember them for an exam. This also helps to piece things together where some concepts are simplified for A level. It furthers your understanding of the topic, which means you'll do better in the exam because you can understand why things happen and not just know that they do.

- Do little bits of revision all throughout the year instead of leaving everything until the last minute! I honestly cannot stress this one enough. I didn't do this at all during my AS year and I felt very overwhelmed when it came to exams because there's so much content for A levels and I couldn't cram everything in at the last minute. I did it successfully at GCSE because there isn't a lot to remember compared with A levels but honestly, last minute A level revision is never going to end well. This is particularly important for those of you on the new spec with all of your exams at the end of the two years, which I think is everyone starting in 2016? Something I found useful in my second year was making revision posters on topics I found difficult to remember, and then I'd stick them up on my bedroom walls. That way I'd look at them everyday and I'd eventually remember the content for my exams. This is particularly good if you're a visual learner as you'll be able to picture your poster during an exam and remember the information that was on it.

- Get study groups together and teach topics to each other, this is one of the best ways to revise in my opinion. Someone might bring something up that you'd completely forgotten about and you end up learning lots (also no writing is involved :tongue:). It's also more fun than sitting in the library writing notes on your own.

- Don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't understand something. If you don't understand something than there's a very high chance that someone else in your class doesn't understand it either.

- For a bit of context I did biology, chemistry, maths, and further maths at AS and then I just carried on with biology, chemistry, and maths for my A2 year, which i finished in June this year. I found that the A2 year was a lot harder and more full-on than AS content-wise, and that the jump between AS and A2 was larger than the jump between GCSE and A level. Past papers were probably the most helpful way of revising leading up to exams because I could mark them and see what kind of grade I could get in the exam. They were also helpful in identifying topics of weakness so i could see which topics I needed to revise in detail/ make posters on. If any of you are doing maths, I recommend you make posters with all of the formulae on them that you're not given in the formula booklet. That way you have them all in one place, which makes them easier to learn.

Good luck to everyone starting A levels in September! Work hard but mostly just make sure you have fun :biggrin:.
1) Unless you absolutely adore essay writing don't take 4 essay based AS subjects.

2) For essay subjects just make short essay plans with important points to add in each paragraph for study. Writing out a whole essay will take ages.

3) past papers, past papers, PAST PAPERS. This is way more important than simply learning from the textbook.

4) Be organized at the start of studies and STAY organized throughout the next 2 years (lol). Whenever there is a holiday try to reorganize school stuff, go clean your room, etc.

5) You are highly likely to have a change of interest so don't limit your A level subjects.

I wish all of you newcomers to A-level LOTS OF LUCK!
Thanks for these tips guys, as someone who is starting soon, the tips are so welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Buy a planner! Seriously, even if you get given a planner by your college or school you will learn to hate it, buy your own diary or planner so you feel motivated to be organised! Or even use a plain notebook and start a bullet journal!
Don't do a subject just because you are good at it, make sure you enjoy it as well. Life doesn't stop during A Levels... don't forget to continue to do what you like to do out of school, BUT don't do too much. If you work consistently throughout the year, revision becomes easier, BUT that doesn't mean you can slack off. Ultimately, you will be told that if you fail your A Levels and don't go to uni/get the apprenticeship/job you are a failure. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Life happens the way it happens for a reason, Live in the moment and accept that sometimes things won't go to plan and focus on what you have learnt and not what could have been. A Levels ARE hard and they ARE a step up from GCSE, but they ARE NOT impossible. DON'T give up. Persevere and allow your failures to become your greatest successes by learning from them.
Take good notes from day 1 and make sure that you keep them safe, it will be a huge help when you come to revising. Also, don't forget that these are no longer GCSEs and it is much harder to hit the high grades, even if you were a straight A student at GCSE you might find yourself getting a few Us in the early months. This does not mean that you will get bad grades in the real exam. Most people only need a little bit of time to get used to the different style of A-Levels and the higher expectations, so don't panic.
I think the one thing that is most overlooked when doing A-levels is your mental health. Not only is it an extremely stressful time but it is also the age you are most likely to develop a mental illness. Generally, I would say to keep on top of your mental health and be aware of any action you need to take to keep yourself healthy. If you're feeling overstressed consider talking to a school counsellor as they can be helpful. If you're feeling down, depressed or anxious about anything, take care of it and do not avoid the situation. Even though getting help may be time consuming, your health comes first and eventually when not dealt with it can have an even worse impact on your education. In order to do well academically you need to be doing well mentally and physically too. Look after yourself!
Listen to everything your teacher tells you and dont forget to have fun!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 276
Just... just dont do it fam
Dont put yourself through that
Your body is a temple :cry:

If you really want to tho
Always
Always
Always do your homework... and if the teacher sets none read ahead to what you'll be covering next lesson

Dont ever..
Ever
Ever skip lessons... ever... ever. Even if your teacher is **** dont do it.

Always do past papers, in fact might as well start revising from now tbh. Like no joke grap a textbook now and start reading ahead for September. And literally, do past paper questions on every topic as you learn it. Read back over stuff on the weekends.

Do your ****ing coursework on time always. I left mine til the last second and was almost failed bc of it.

Dont be afraid to ask questions. Like even for the spelling of a word. Ask. If you dont know, ASK the teacher thats what theyre there for. Dem *****es dont deserve free pay for all this **** you have to go for MAKE THEM SUFFER WITH YOU.

Remember to breathe

Also if a teacher goes too fast dont be afraid to stop them. I spent all year writing half finished sentences or unfinished diagrams, even if youre the last in the class dont let them move on. I still dont know wtfwas going on in that lesson when the teacher was rushing everything and im sure it wouldve helped in that exam x_x

Err... not much else really. Dont fall behind on anything and you should be fine. First mock results will always be **** dw. In AS I got Us and Es for my first december mocks, took all 3 sciences and computing. Got BBCC in the end of the year... and I did none of the above :lol:

REMEMBER IT WONT BE EASY K
THIS AINT GCSES WHEN YOU CAN REVISE THE DAY BEFORE AND GET AN A*. THIS IS CHILD LABOUR OK THIS IS HELL YOU BEST BE WEARING FIREPROOF CLOTHING. NOT ONE PERSON IN MY CHEM CLASS GOT AN A LAST YEAR AND THERE WERE PEOPLE IN THAT CLASS WHO HAD 5 DIFFERENT TUTORS, REVISED FOR 28 HOURS EVERY DAY AND GOT 10 + A*S AT GCSE. IT AINT NO JOKE FAMMMMM.

There were people who got A*s at GCSE who end up failing AS and retaking or doing BTECs. And then there were people who barely scraped Cs who got Bs and As at AS so its not about how 'naturally intelligent' you are - work hard, play hard. Simple. So if you dont enjoy your subjects/ arent committed to them... you will fail fam.

Do something you like or are good at and inshallah you will be fine.

Good luck u gon need it <3
Don't choose an subject you hate in the hope you'll get an easy A/A*
Start your revision yesterday! 😄
Picking subjects you enjoy will really helpful, otherwise you will just end up with a bad grade because you weren't willing to put the hours in.
Ask for help if you're unsure about something. Teachers and friends are usually willing to help you.
Make revision notes from September, when you don't have much work to do. It will be worth it in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest