Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    I like reading these long posts, always helpful! Thanks for the advice and I'm guessing you're awaiting your A2 results so good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I am, eagerly waiting to say the least but as expected a little nervous :3. Hopefully it will help someone! I have a close friend who will be starting A-levels and I'm telling her everything I can to prepare her, thought it would be a good idea to share some of it on this thread. Thank you!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerryrevie)
    Yeah I am, eagerly waiting to say the least but as expected a little nervous :3. Hopefully it will help someone! I have a close friend who will be starting A-levels and I'm telling her everything I can to prepare her, thought it would be a good idea to share some of it on this thread. Thank you!
    No problem, if you have anymore tips may you post them (they are helpful and I need AAAA) of not your original post was helpful anyway and I'm sure it'll help someone else, and that is good of you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I admit that i didn't put my full effort into mine and regret not doing that now. i would advice that you at least put your full effort into them, especially knowing that if you do well you can receive a bursary from your university usually. i could of received that and i could of gotten onto the original course i wanted to do at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wish to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.
    Make sure you take subjects you genuinely enjoy, not just ones your parents like, or subjects that will look 'impressive'!

ReputationRep:
    Kill yourself before it's too late

Nah, but in all seriousness, do something you enjoy. If you do, then you'll probably find it less hard to revise and are more likely to do well rather than choosing something to get onto a certain course as you enjoy it, and you know what they say.... time flies when you're having fun.

I enjoyed Sixth Form. The studying part was ok, but the freedom and liberty you had was good. Also, the social aspect. I miss it where everyone was sat in their groups around tables during break and lunch, everyone relaxed and chill.

ReputationRep:
    Start working hard from the very beginning of the term - that means doing all the homework you're set as soon as you can, doing extra reading (for me it was textbooks and other scientific books). This sets up a good pattern for the rest of the year, and means you feel more on top of your workload when mocks/exams are approaching

ReputationRep:
    I need advice on these a level choices, I have chosen maths, chemistry, biology and physics, I will most likely drop physics after a year, but is this going to cause me to be too over worked? There are really no other subjects I enjoy so I am very unsure on what to do, any opinions welcome! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueribbons99)
    I need advice on these a level choices, I have chosen maths, chemistry, biology and physics, I will most likely drop physics after a year, but is this going to cause me to be too over worked? There are really no other subjects I enjoy so I am very unsure on what to do, any opinions welcome! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Extremely common combination, work hard and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Try to have an idea of what course you want to study in university.

Make sure your courses are relevant to that course.

I made the mistake of assuming that a Computing A Level would be required for a Computer Science course, which seems logical. However, only maths was required.

This led to me struggling through two years of a Computing A Level which I didn't need to actually do, with WJEC, a notoriously strict board when it comes to mark schemes and examiners.

And now results day awaits...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueribbons99)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will definitely require hard work and effort to do triple sciences, but in the long run it really is worth it, just due to the vast number of choices it opens for university courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Your A-levels are done, you're now officially a little bit older and a little bit wiser :moon:

So what's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

Other golden threads:

1. List the fibs your teacher told you at school

2. What's your ultimate summer tune?

3. Which GCSE subject can you not wish to ditch?

4. Sum up how you’re feeling about results day in a meme or gif

5. How do you plan to celebrate your exam results?

6. Starting uni: what are you most excited about?

7. One essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels

8. What's the one thing will get you through results day?

The competition runs from 3 August to 23:59 on 26 August 2016. The random draw will be made on 30 August 2016.
    Learn how to revise effectively and do not pretend to do work by watching Youtube videos on the subject you are trying to revise. That was a poor decision on my behalf.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam0324)
    Learn how to revise effectively and do not pretend to do work by watching Youtube videos on the subject you are trying to revise. That was a poor decision on my behalf.
    If you can find good scientific videos on youtube though like the ones on Khan academy or handwritten tutorials, 100% give them a try as they are brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Year 12 is a breeze, but you should probably start revising the year 13 course before you're even in year 13 :'D There's never enough time.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you're revising, take notes. Whether that be writing a more condensed version of your revision material, or writing out your solutions to past paper questions. Don't just read through your revision material or look through past papers and think to yourself "Yeah, that makes sense". I did that for a few exams which I probably could have done better in And do lots of past papers, that's important too!

ReputationRep:
    Do not take A level Lightly because not everyone can afford a re- take. But if you work really hard its worth it ;-) ALSO PAST PAPERS DO IT EVERY SECOND !!!

ReputationRep:
    Im doing A2 physics and didn't do AS MATH

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Choose subjects you're interested in, or at least the ones you know you can do well in. That's the easy part. The hard part is understanding that no matter how hard you try, you can't make yourself feel comfortable in a class that you hate and sooner or later you're going to get overwhelmed. My advice is to drop that subject as soon as you can, even if you won't be able to take up another subject in its place. Your happiness is infinitely more important than the opinions of others; don't just keep your head down and struggle through it. Don't worry about disappointing anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Here's some advice based on my personal experience with A levels:

- Past papers are your friend. As you do more and more, you start to recognise types of questions and find that there is a pattern/method to answering certain questions.

- You can find lots of really helpful, interesting, and informative videos on YouTube that are related to your subject; Crash Course, SciShow, and Khan Academy are my personal favourite channels. These are particularly good if you have a spare moment but don't really feel like doing full-on revision.

- Stay curious. Nothing is worse than not enjoying your subjects and feeling like revision is a chore. A good way to combat this is by reading around your subjects, find things out that aren't necessarily on your spec. Somehow I enjoyed learning things more when I knew I didn't have to remember them for an exam. This also helps to piece things together where some concepts are simplified for A level. It furthers your understanding of the topic, which means you'll do better in the exam because you can understand why things happen and not just know that they do.

- Do little bits of revision all throughout the year instead of leaving everything until the last minute! I honestly cannot stress this one enough. I didn't do this at all during my AS year and I felt very overwhelmed when it came to exams because there's so much content for A levels and I couldn't cram everything in at the last minute. I did it successfully at GCSE because there isn't a lot to remember compared with A levels but honestly, last minute A level revision is never going to end well. This is particularly important for those of you on the new spec with all of your exams at the end of the two years, which I think is everyone starting in 2016? Something I found useful in my second year was making revision posters on topics I found difficult to remember, and then I'd stick them up on my bedroom walls. That way I'd look at them everyday and I'd eventually remember the content for my exams. This is particularly good if you're a visual learner as you'll be able to picture your poster during an exam and remember the information that was on it.

- Get study groups together and teach topics to each other, this is one of the best ways to revise in my opinion. Someone might bring something up that you'd completely forgotten about and you end up learning lots (also no writing is involved ). It's also more fun than sitting in the library writing notes on your own.

- Don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't understand something. If you don't understand something than there's a very high chance that someone else in your class doesn't understand it either.

- For a bit of context I did biology, chemistry, maths, and further maths at AS and then I just carried on with biology, chemistry, and maths for my A2 year, which i finished in June this year. I found that the A2 year was a lot harder and more full-on than AS content-wise, and that the jump between AS and A2 was larger than the jump between GCSE and A level. Past papers were probably the most helpful way of revising leading up to exams because I could mark them and see what kind of grade I could get in the exam. They were also helpful in identifying topics of weakness so i could see which topics I needed to revise in detail/ make posters on. If any of you are doing maths, I recommend you make posters with all of the formulae on them that you're not given in the formula booklet. That way you have them all in one place, which makes them easier to learn.

Good luck to everyone starting A levels in September! Work hard but mostly just make sure you have fun .

ReputationRep:
    1) Unless you absolutely adore essay writing don't take 4 essay based AS subjects.

2) For essay subjects just make short essay plans with important points to add in each paragraph for study. Writing out a whole essay will take ages.

3) past papers, past papers, PAST PAPERS. This is way more important than simply learning from the textbook.

4) Be organized at the start of studies and STAY organized throughout the next 2 years (lol). Whenever there is a holiday try to reorganize school stuff, go clean your room, etc.

5) You are highly likely to have a change of interest so don't limit your A level subjects.

I wish all of you newcomers to A-level LOTS OF LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for these tips guys, as someone who is starting soon, the tips are so welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.