The Current Year 12 thread 2016-2017

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAnon121)
    Who's doing A level biology on AQA, chemistry on OCR, maths on MEI and economics on edexcel?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    similar I guess. Biology and Chemistry both on AQA and then Maths + FM with OCR MEI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anmol_.)
    When is everyone starting college/sixth form
    Friday :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    HWSF students always get longer holidays 😂
    is the saturday school really worth it tho
    when do you start? are you excited?

(Original post by TheAnon121)
    Who's doing A level biology on AQA, chemistry on OCR, maths on MEI and economics on edexcel?
    i'm on ocr mei for maths! basically learnt all of c1 (a lot i did in additional maths) and looked at some of fp1

(Original post by surina16)
    Friday :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaary kasparov)
    what other subjects are you doing, because im doing maths,physics,biology and chemistry,and am worried that taking the EPQ would be too far, and my grades would drop by quite a big margin.
    English lit, History and Sociology, so hopefully the EPQ wouldn't be much of a burden, whereas with you you're doing four subjects which are all pretty heavy and require a lot of time, and an EPQ I've heard also requires a lot of research time. So unless you are certain you want to do it then maybe speak to a teacher first, or trial it out for a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just very thankful I have no official exams this year I have mocks but no As exams! Yay

(Original post by ak143244)
    When do you guys start sixth form/college?
    Monday.

ReputationRep:
    Introduce yourself
    Hi, everyone! I call myself K-Man_PhysCheM on this forum because my friends call me K-Man and I like Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Music. As one might expect from the fact I am posting on here, I am going into Year 12 this September, staying at the same school that I was at for GCSEs.
    At GCSE, I achieved a set of 13 straight As/A*s (including an A* with distinction in AQA Level 2 Further Maths).

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    Besides the sciences, I really love (classical) music: this week I've done a Beethoven Symphony Marathon, which may sound dull for many, but I love Beethoven's music, and his development as a composer is truly astonishing, from almost child-like "Mozartian" to momentous genius. He's also very inspiring, because, despite the fact he had gone deaf and had gone through a huge falling-out with his nephew Karl, he still managed to write one of the happiest pieces of music ever: "Ode to Joy", now the European Anthem, included within the final movement of his 9th Symphony.

Myself, I play the flute and piano to a reasonably high standard (Grade 8 Distinction in both) and I have written a (not very good) Symphony and many other works: recently, I set Shakespeare's "Sonnet 18" to music (it was one of my CIE IGCSE English set poems). You'd think I should study music, though under family pressure I am forced to take science A-levels, and my parents want me to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge, which I know I would enjoy... just not as much as music.

- What subjects are you planning to take?
    Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology (ugh, don't really want to)

Hopefully, I can squeeze in Music, but if I really want to get into a music college, showing my compositions and music theory grades might be enough.

And I'm fluent in Spanish, so (after a little preparation) may also sit Spanish A-level.

- Your favourite subject(s)?
    Music, as mentioned before.
    Then, Physics.

- Your ideal future occupation?
    Composer, or some practical physicist (not theoretical), or even vulcanologist! (I am not driven by money).

I wish everyone the best of luck for their next 2 years at Sixth Form! (or whatever else you may be doing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    similar I guess. Biology and Chemistry both on AQA and then Maths + FM with OCR MEI
    You started learning any of it yet? If so, help a brotha' out and throw me some resources

(Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    i'm on ocr mei for maths! basically learnt all of c1 (a lot i did in additional maths) and looked at some of fp1
    Nice, I haven't done any learning at all for A level yet, I'm going to start in these next 12 days though. How are you learning maths? What website/textbook do you use?

Just got home from work. I scanned like 800 packages. R.I.P me when term starts.

(Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    Introduce yourself
    Hi, everyone! I call myself K-Man_PhysCheM on this forum because my friends call me K-Man and I like Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Music. As one might expect from the fact I am posting on here, I am going into Year 12 this September, staying at the same school that I was at for GCSEs.
    At GCSE, I achieved a set of 13 straight As/A*s (including an A* with distinction in AQA Level 2 Further Maths).

Besides the sciences, I really love (classical) music: this week I've done a Beethoven Symphony Marathon, which may sound dull for many, but I love Beethoven's music, and his development as a composer is truly astonishing, from almost child-like "Mozartian" to momentous genius. He's also very inspiring, because, despite the fact he had gone deaf and had gone through a huge falling-out with his nephew Karl, he still managed to write one of the happiest pieces of music ever: "Ode to Joy", now the European Anthem, included within the final movement of his 9th Symphony.

Myself, I play the flute and piano to a reasonably high standard (Grade 8 Distinction in both) and I have written a (not very good) Symphony and many other works: recently, I set Shakespeare's "Sonnet 18" to music (it was one of my CIE IGCSE English set poems). You'd think I should study music, though under family pressure I am forced to take science A-levels, and my parents want me to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge, which I know I would enjoy... just not as much as music.

Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology (ugh, don't really want to)

Hopefully, I can squeeze in Music, but if I really want to get into a music college, showing my compositions and music theory grades might be enough.

And I'm fluent in Spanish, so (after a little preparation) may also sit Spanish A-level.

Music, as mentioned before.
    Then, Physics.

Composer, or some practical physicist (not theoretical), or even vulcanologist! (I am not driven by money).

I wish everyone the best of luck for their next 2 years at Sixth Form! (or whatever else you may be doing).
    You sound like the ideal mate I'd like to have during sixth form. Doing same subjects as you excluding FM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    I remember you from the OCR threads 😂
    Hahaha I was on them quite a lot (I even made one)! Nice to be remembered though

ReputationRep:
    I do really hope that if I make friends that they don't wanna waste free periods and are actually dedicated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who is going to be doing AQA Geography?

ReputationRep:
    Introduce yourself
    Hello, my name is MezmorisedPotato on this forum, I'm 16 and will be starting Sixth form next Wednesday!
    My hobbies include:
    Piano
    Karate
    Love listening to music
    Enjoy runs and walks
    Reading- favourite genre is crime novels.
    Interested in research science and those little questions that don't bother most people but it bothers me
    Biology Chemistry Maths and Physics
    Science and maths
    A future medical doctor

Also I'd like to state I'll be applying for Cambridge University but will be applying to many others too.

ReputationRep:
    ColossalAtom - Aspiring Dentist and Actor please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    is the saturday school really worth it tho
    when do you start? are you excited?

Loool true😂 We start Monday, I'm fairly excited but I'm still trying to enjoy my last few days! You?

ReputationRep:
    - Introduce yourself
    Hey guys, my name is Eden on the student room, I'm 16 and lessons start for me next Monday.

Mostly just reading history books, doing maths and playing games. I play football quite a bit with my friends.

Maths
    Further Maths
    History
    Physics

Favourite subjects would have to be history and maths, history I just love learning about the past, maths I love seeing how things relate to each other and it's an amazing feeling when you solve an equation.

My ideal occupation would be to become a lawyer through the GDL route, after taking history at uni, hopefully Cambridge but we shall see how AS goes first!

Good luck to everyone starting sixth form, hopefully you all work hard and get the results you deserve!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    You sound like the ideal mate I'd like to have during sixth form. Doing same subjects as you excluding FM.
    Hey, that's pretty cool! Pleased to meet you (if you can consider talking to someone on an online forum as "meeting").

ReputationRep:
    Introduce yourself
    Hey I'm Milz, I'm 16 years old, from the midlands ish

What are your hobbies and interests?
    I like most things tbh, I watch a lot of TV shows, I like my cats, parties, food, sleep, doing well etc

What subjects are you planning to take?
    Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths

Your favourite subject(s)?
    pffft depends what mood I'm in

Your ideal future occupation?
    Medicine probably, but who knowssssss

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.