Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will the religious people realize there is NO afterlife ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Ah, I see what you mean, thanks for explaining. True, but such a scenario is unlikely because there is evidence that it is round.

It is interesting though as a comparison because there was a time when more people did believe the earth was flat. Most likely however because it didn't even occur to them that it might be round.

But yeah you're right, most people thought it was probably flat, and it turned out the earth is round. So the crowd was wrong. I don't see this as the same thing though personally, and you're of course welcome to disagree, because it 1) became a provable thing 2) probably wasn't debated until someone found some evidence that it was round.

And after all that, when talking about probability, there is a chance the theory is wrong sometimes. Something has to be for the theory to be proven right. At the moment there is no evidence for or against an afterlife. I think there probably isn't an afterlife personally, but there might be as there is no evidence there isn't.
    Yeah but people like Galileo (and there were people from well before the enlightenment) who believed the earth was a globe due to logical and observational based thinking. It wasn't like they were just making another guess. The masses thought it was flat because they didn't really think about it beyond the "earth is obviously flat because if it wasn't I would fall off" and "because the Pope will burn me if I don't". Where as the scientists/proto scientists had better reasons for believing what they believed. They looked at heavenly objects with telescopes and made calculations. Or just notice how a boat appears to dissapear over the horizon bit by bit.

If theists believes in God why don't they try and find proof for it? Like see if people who are sick are more likely to get better if they are Christians or someone prays for them.

Instead of giving everything equal consideration I think we should have a more "I don't believe in anything unless you show me why I should" attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly who cares? I just don't understand why people would want the option of an afterlife... If it lasts forever then you'll just get used to it and there would be no difference between heaven and hell... it's just a place your stuck in FOREVER. I would much rather die and have my mind at rest, but hey, that's just me. Religious people obviously think differently if they're willing to go to such lengths just to get in to heaven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    There is NO life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.
    sorry m8, but u can't prove any of this. either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    Of course, but you were not just referring to "trollish insults"; in fact you went to great lengths to say much more than that, which is why I offered the full explanation for why "respect" is often misunderstood in debate. If there is anything in there you disagree with or are unsure about, then by all means reply but repeating what we have both said already, i.e. that ad hominem attacks are fruitless, is a little tedious at this point.

So why are you here? Are you obligated to read those 7+ pages and get involved? I hear this argument often and it makes no sense at all. If you hadn't noticed, Europe (and soon the US) is experiencing an Islamism crisis and the Middle East, Jihadism, Islamic terrorism and immigration have dominated the news for the past three decades. Is it any surprise that religion's - and particularly Islam's - doctrines are being questioned? Criticism, discussion and debate of a religion which makes up a quarter of the world's population and has been centre stage in current affairs for some time is not only inevitable but absolutely necessary. Whether you're bored of it or not is irrelevant.

Another empty platitude.
    Dear God, you just have too much time on your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Dear God, you just have too much time on your hands.
    Feel free to leave and make better use of your limited time.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite clear they are believing what they want to believe - out of fear. It takes courage to be an atheist.

ReputationRep:
    There is NO life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.
    Nothing to see here guys. Just a random on the internet who cares WAY too much about how people live their lives. Next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    It would perhaps do you well to educate yourself on what scientific theories are. When used in science, the word "theory" does not mean a speculative guess or conjecture. It is the highest possible form of scientific proof backed up by mountains of evidence. So no, they're not "just theories", but fact.
    Sorry, but where in my post did I refer to scientific theory as "just theories", as you have so quoted in that lovely tone. My point in referring to them as theories was simply to illustrate that they are merely our current understanding of the world thus far, based on evidence sure, as you have so mentioned. Such "facts" have been disproved time and again as scientific research improves.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Also, evolution and God can perfectly co-exist, plenty of evolutionists are theists so that argument is redundant.
    I don't really understand your point. I am well aware of the ability of evolution and God to co-exist. Which part of my argument do you disagree with?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=macromicro;67467752]In other words, cherry-picking. How do you decide if this metaphysical claim is scientific and that metaphysical claim is metaphorical?/QUOTE]

Ok, I have already discussed earlier about how I interpret on of my goddesses Shakti known as the goddess of primordial cosmic energy and I have reasoned why it can be interpreted scientifically to explain the metaphysical. Metaphorical texts can be identified as they ventures deep into complex philosophical ideologies. Most of the Hindu scriptures contain more metaphorical texts compared to metaphysical.

[QUOTE=macromicro;67467752]I'm not saying you can't find connections between Hinduism and science, rather there are enough erroneous claims and unscientific assertions that to consider yourself a scientist and a Hindu is a gross contradiction of both positions./QUOTE]

Being a scientist and a Hindu is not a gross contradicton. Have a read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyaya
    http://www.srimatham.com/uploads/5/5...philosophy.pdf

[QUOTE=macromicro;67467752]Scientists don't do any such thing; religious beliefs are disproven indirectly as our understanding of science increases. So far, science and religion are incompatible, including Hinduism./QUOTE]

Give me an example from my religion.

[QUOTE=macromicro;67467752]This is called cherry-picking and reformation. Your religion will continue to change and divide and morph as science develops until it no longer exists, similar to what occurred with Genesis. I would never be so naive to think I could ever argue against Hinduism by virtue of this very fact you've described - you can twist and adapt your religion to suit any new scientific discovery and any change in society. You have an irrefutable position whereas I embrace my refutability. That's the fundamental difference between the theist and the scientist. Just look at how Christianity has been reformed with the surge in human rights over the past 100 years or so. Christianity today is an entirely different religion to that of the 19th century. This is what happens to religion: humans evolve and leave behind magic, myth and speculation in favour of truth. Religion was a necessary but erroneous development as we mature./QUOTE]

Cherry-picking is an oversimplification of this process. But still what is wrong with that? As Hindus we all respect each other's decision. The breadth of our religion enables us to do this. This does not mean we are delving outside the boundaries of our religion. We are still confined to the fundamental doctrines. Everyone is different and thus require different level of guidance.
    Our religion has been present for more than 5000 years and we have outlived the ancient Egyptian and Greek mythologies. Why wasn't Hinduism left behind? They all started around the same era(i.e. more than 3 millennia's ago).

(Original post by macromicro)
    Religion does not have monopoly over spiritualism. I would consider myself a spiritual person but my spiritualism is derived from the awe and wonder of the cosmos not ancient story books. Perhaps you should read this or this if you think atheists are not spiritual.
    The meaning of the term spiritual is very ambiguous and it is interpreted in many different ways.

My view on spirituality is that theists are like a river but people "who are spiritual but not religious" are more like a pond. The existence of god has given me the urge to seek for my spiritual destination and god is guiding me through this process hence I feel a strong connection with god. But those who are spiritual but not religious do not seek for a destination willingly as you seek comfort in that (so water stays in the same place). I feel that you are far too attached to the physical realm. We Hindu's argue that life itself is an illusion(Maya).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here died and then come back to tell us what it was like. NO. So how could one come to conclusions of there being no afterlife, kinda stupid....

ReputationRep:
    We are just a bunch of ****ing intelligent APES who live on a spinning rock in the middle of infinite vacuum .

AND WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE FOR ALL ETERNITY !!!!!!!!!!
    NO AFTERLIFE WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!.
    Seriously dude, why are you always repeating yourself??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Alisha*)
    Seriously dude, why are you always repeating yourself??

Cause he has autism lol

Btw you look really stunning in your profile pic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Cause he has autism lol

Btw you look really stunning in your profile pic
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hipsterrapunzel)
    Sorry, but where in my post did I refer to scientific theory as "just theories", as you have so quoted in that lovely tone. My point in referring to them as theories was simply to illustrate that they are merely our current understanding of the world thus far, based on evidence sure, as you have so mentioned. Such "facts" have been disproved time and again as scientific research improves.
    You said this:

"Big Bang/Evolutionary theory (and other theories) remain theories because evidence is still lacking as of present.", clearly implying that more evidence is needed to make them legitimate when it isn't. They are the highest possible form of empirical proof and would still be called theories even if all possible empirical evidence in their favour were discovered. So no, they don't remain theories because evidence is still lacking, they're called theories because that's what a well substantiated explanation of the natural world is called.

I don't really understand your point. I am well aware of the ability of evolution and God to co-exist. Which part of my argument do you disagree with?
    Well either you don't express yourself very well or you have completely forgotten what you wrote. You said this:

"If evolution was the be all end all, this conversation wouldn't be needed, because you would have your proof that God is a lie."

Here you are obviously implying that if evolution were proven beyond all reasonable doubt (and by the way, it has) that God would by extension also be debunked once and for all.

ReputationRep:
    kthx god is real

ReputationRep:
    We are just a bunch of evovled apes.
    We DON'T have a "soul".

We only live ONCE and then we are dead for all eternity.
    No one is going to be reborn or incarnated.
    Hopefully you change your mind when it's not too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carthaginian)
    It ticks me off.
    Religion is bullcrap!
    Yes, our ancestors were apes. Just look at evolution, it's the only plausible theory.
    Just think about it for a second, sure, God could exist. But Heaven and/or Hell?
    That's just stupid.
    Bruh, I'm Christian and a Biomedical Scientist. But disregarding the former, I have to break it to you that we do not evolve from Apes. We merely have a common ancestor which scientists haven't yet found (God's got a lot of explaining to do LOL)
    If we did evolve from Apes, by now they would have undergone some degree of evolutionary natural selection at a different rate to others depending on environment, but for the most part all apes would have evolved into Homo Sapiens by now.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...evolution-101/
    (evidence since you love it so much)

And I think you need to calm your tone down. I understand how strongly you feel about Religion and I can't jump in the way of your passion, but as a Christian I would never read your comments and think "wow, that person's so right! Their condescending tone and everything just makes me feel so dumb! Who is God anyways? Rah, I need to rethink my life!"

For people who try and encourage "acceptance" and "tolerance", you'd think you'd extend some back to religious people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Hopefully you change your mind when it's not too late.
    There is nothing to change one's mind about until convincing evidence has been provided and currently there isn't any.

ReputationRep:
    THIS life is the ONLY we will ever know.
    Once we are dead that's it folks , it's over FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!
    We are a bunch of ****ing APES not more no less.
    WE were not created by any imaginary god (jehova,allah the arab, jesus , buddah ,vishnu , the flyting spaghetti monster or any other invention) , we EVOLVED from a bunch of apes, and we don't have a "soul".

but how do we know that all animals dont have a soul or dont go to heaven? even ants and apes???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarjarbinkss)
    but how do we know that all animals dont have a soul or dont go to heaven? even ants and apes???
    No thing and no one have a "soul" because there is no such thing as a "soul".
    Only atoms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.