The Student Room Group

UKMT Senior Individual Maths Challenge 2016 - Preparation and Tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dididid
cambridge has no way of finding out if you've got a gold or not as the ukmt do not confirm nor deny any statements regarding the maths challenges you have made to universities. read this somewhere on there website . so you could essentially claim you've gotten gold and the uni would just believe it.

this is true, although, if you do really well on BMO1 or 2 it gets posted on their website/handbook
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Oh right ok! The thing is I've never had the opportunity to do one and this cropped up last minute.
Ok well I won't mention it ahaha and will just add other things. Shame though :s-smilie: really wanted that gold but looking at these mark schemes etc I definitely didnt get gold!
Wanting to apply to Trinity college as well which I heard has the most amount of mathematicians applying! So I'll be up against the best in the world when applying so wouldn't want anything making my results look weak.

Thank you for the advice!
Good luck on your application and keep us updated :smile: im sure you'll get an offer and meet/exceed it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same college! Hope to see you there in a couple of years :smile: (luck permitting...)

I personally tend to do well in this sort of thing (calculated mark this year, based on others' answers, as 116), but got 1 mark above a D in my M1 maths exam last year, and have to retake C3 and C4 too... Which doesn't look too good on my UCAS statement (altho GCSEs were good).

I've done these challenges every year since year 7 (and the PMC in year 5+6), and have practised (been forced to practise by strict parents - to whom I am now thankful i guess xd). But I know (and trinity will know) that many people haven't had the opportunity and encouragement that I have had. And this is really only one branch of maths. I know people applying to oxbridge for maths-related courses (eg maths and economics) who didn't get a medal last year, yet are good at school maths, and often even solve STEP questions I can't do.

Thanks for your kind words :smile:
@HapaxOromenon3 If you keep this terrible conduct up lad I swear I will put up posters in ashburnhams saying "HapaxOromenon3 is an idiot and deserves to be moved down a set or 2" just to make you sweat about whether your online cover is going to get blown :smile:

My results (got 25 wrong but nobody's perfect):

BDBCA DABCB ECADB DDEDE CCEBE

For nr. 25 I made the silly mistake of taking 2016 mod 6 instead of (2016-1)=2015. (tfw you find out you missed out on a clean sweep)
Original post by 123Master321
this is true, although, if you do really well on BMO1 or 2 it gets posted on their website/handbook

fair enough.
Original post by _capatult
@HapaxOromenon3 If you keep this terrible conduct up lad I swear I will put up posters in ashburnhams saying "HapaxOromenon3 is an idiot and deserves to be moved down a set or 2" just to make you sweat about whether your online cover is going to get blown :smile:

For nr. 25 I made the silly mistake of taking 2016 mod 6 instead of (2016-1)=2015. (tfw you find out you missed out on a clean sweep)

Got E as well for 25. I'm confident my method was correct...but must have slipped up someone. Left out 21 due to 'timing issues' (i.e. I spent 15 minutes on it and couldn't solve it xd)

I first read that as you said you 'got (all) 25 wrong' rather than 'number 25' xd

tbh such a feat would be truly impressive...even through guessing your average mark is 25.
Original post by _capatult

You're someone in Remove who I don't even know so I really won't care...
@HapaxOromenon3 fair enough
Original post by dididid
cambridge has no way of finding out if you've got a gold or not as the ukmt do not confirm nor deny any statements regarding the maths challenges you have made to universities. read this somewhere on there website . so you could essentially claim you've gotten gold and the uni would just believe it.

Ohhh ok! So potentially I could say I made it to the first round of the BMOs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote my name and centre number in pen, can the scan still see it? Has anyone been in this situation in the past?
Original post by tryeeme
Same college! Hope to see you there in a couple of years :smile: (luck permitting...)

I personally tend to do well in this sort of thing (calculated mark this year, based on others' answers, as 116), but got 1 mark above a D in my M1 maths exam last year, and have to retake C3 and C4 too... Which doesn't look too good on my UCAS statement (altho GCSEs were good).

I've done these challenges every year since year 7 (and the PMC in year 5+6), and have practised (been forced to practise by strict parents - to whom I am now thankful i guess xd). But I know (and trinity will know) that many people haven't had the opportunity and encouragement that I have had. And this is really only one branch of maths. I know people applying to oxbridge for maths-related courses (eg maths and economics) who didn't get a medal last year, yet are good at school maths, and often even solve STEP questions I can't do.

Thanks for your kind words :smile:

Omfg yay! When will you be applying?? Im applying for 2018 entry :smile:

Oh wow! I'm the exact opposite. I tend to get 100% in AS maths modules/GCSE maths but don't do as well as I hope in maths challenges. Probably got a bronze or a silver this year but not sure!
And oh ok! So you are retaking yr 13 again or doing a gap year?

I've never done these challenges and honestly hate my school for not letting us do it! It would've helped a lot in the long run as it's really good for applying maths knowledge to questions you don't really see on A Level papers!
Haha my strict parents just want me to do medicine so hopefully I'm not living on the streets next year when I told them I've applied for maths and not medicine!
Yes that's true! Many students apply with no certificates or even no experience with it and get in, however, I've been told countless times not to apply to Trinity College if I can't get a gold at least in this and go to the BMOs lol!

That's really incredible tbh. I've noticed people who are amazing at GCSE maths and AS/A2 maths based on the syllabus are not so good at these kind of challenges.
My friend got a B at GCSE maths but ended up at the BMOs whereas my friend who is amazing at school maths barely scraped a bronze!

Keep in touch! And hopefully we'll see each other in Trinity college in 2 years time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathspro2580
Do you guys think getting a silver is respectable if u want to do physics at a good university ( i really want to go to imperial)

Of course it is! That puts you in the top 30%, at least! :smile:
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
Yeah not to boast but I got A* in A-Level Maths in 2011, when I was in Year 5, so generally the first 15-20 aren't too difficult.

Boasting
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
nefas tibi est dicax adeo esse, nam *** illud repetiverim, tamen iustificatus sum hoc facere, ad intellegendum quam sapiens sim, ut nonnulli condicunt, quoniam dicitur a magno Caligula licere ullo odisse quin simul metuat. sed, ad claritatem, dicam me nolle odio tibi, Romanis quasi Poenicas, rem autem valde sensam, me maxime conspicientem esse optimumque ad ludum venitare. nunc his oppugnationibus decede, et accipe (si vis ac audes) te valde superavisse.

(The *** is the word 'c u m', which for some reason TSR wishes to censor, meaning when, since, although (+ subjunctive) in Latin)

I admit that you've been a bit OTT, but I appreciate the Latin. I'm currently in my first year of GCSE for the subject (only 5% of the year have done it). Congrats on your UKMT results.
Original post by sqrt(e/m)=c
I admit that you've been a bit OTT, but I appreciate the Latin. I'm currently in my first year of GCSE for the subject (only 5% of the year have done it). Congrats on your UKMT results.

Gratias maximas tibi ago.
Pretty good paper first year I was happy coming out of the exam!

Recon I think I got 21/25 (109), do you think that would qualify for BMO1?
Really want to get in as Cambridge Interviews could be coming soon for me!

BDBCADABCBECADBDDE-ECC---
Original post by river222
Pretty good paper first year I was happy coming out of the exam!

Recon I think I got 21/25 (109), do you think that would qualify for BMO1?
Really want to get in as Cambridge Interviews could be coming soon for me!

BDBCADABCBECADBDDE-ECC---

Yes, the highest ever qualifying mark was 104 if I recall correctly.
The past few years of thresholds have been (as of 2008, and 2012 for Kangaroo):
Bronze - 51, 54, 58, 52, 49, 53, 57, 50
Silver 61 64 70 63 62 67 71 65
Gold 75 79 85 79 77 82 84 82
Kangaroo 82 86 89 86
BMO1 87 91 96 90 93 100 101 104

What do you expect for the thresholds?
Original post by sqrt(e/m)=c
The past few years of thresholds have been (as of 2008, and 2012 for Kangaroo):
Bronze - 51, 54, 58, 52, 49, 53, 57, 50
Silver - 61, 64, 70, 63, 62, 67, 71, 65
Gold - 75, 79, 85, 79, 77, 82, 84, 82,