6.19%
Other (9)
3.98%
camstudent123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it just me or am I the only Conservative party member who dreads boris getting elected? The man is a buffoon, he hasn't announced any sane policies as of yet and when he comes up with something he gets caught out. I think it would be a disaster for our party if he was elected in the run up to a general election.

BUt then that makes me think who I should vote for
I'm not a fan of Ken, and some of his friends are quite unsavoury, but unfortunately (in political terms) he has done quite well in london. I'm a cyclist and have had trouble with bendy buses once or twice but nothing terrible. Yes they cause accidents but the statistics I've seen show not significantly more than other buses.

Free bus fares for the over 60s and children seems like a sensible policy, given that the mayor can't impact on taxation. And oyster cards save a lot of of time for me. I top up at home and get straight on the underground at stations without queues. I frankly dont give a damn if foreigners pay 4 quid for a single. That subsidies my next journey.

I've also been appalled by the behaviour of some of the consevative assembly members in relation to their expenses. The Labour ones are also pretty bad are even worse however(booing ken as independent and suddently miraculously converting when he rejoins)

I also dislike the lib dems intensely. At uni they put leaflets through my door saying the conservatives can't win here vote for us and yet at home where they cant win they say vote for us, if you dont vote for what you want you wont get it...

One Nation/Veritas/UKIP seem up their own arses.

BNP are idiots economically

Greens seem to by only other option for someone like me unfortunately as seems only way of voting for neither ken nor boris without voting for some other idiot. And their candidate is well, not bad looking! But can I really vote for them?!

It seems a shame that all the candidates so terrible
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
100% Ken- due primarily to the £25 congestion charge which Boris is against, also because of Ken's oyster fare commitments.
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by camstudent123)
Is it just me or am I the only Conservative party member who dreads boris getting elected? The man is a buffoon, he hasn't announced any sane policies as of yet and when he comes up with something he gets caught out. I think it would be a disaster for our party if he was elected in the run up to a general election.

BUt then that makes me think who I should vote for
I'm not a fan of Ken, and some of his friends are quite unsavoury, but unfortunately (in political terms) he has done quite well in london. I'm a cyclist and have had trouble with bendy buses once or twice but nothing terrible. Yes they cause accidents but the statistics I've seen show not significantly more than other buses.

Free bus fares for the over 60s and children seems like a sensible policy, given that the mayor can't impact on taxation. And oyster cards save a lot of of time for me. I top up at home and get straight on the underground at stations without queues. I frankly dont give a damn if foreigners pay 4 quid for a single. That subsidies my next journey.

I've also been appalled by the behaviour of some of the consevative assembly members in relation to their expenses. The Labour ones are also pretty bad are even worse however(booing ken as independent and suddently miraculously converting when he rejoins)

I also dislike the lib dems intensely. At uni they put leaflets through my door saying the conservatives can't win here vote for us and yet at home where they cant win they say vote for us, if you dont vote for what you want you wont get it...

One Nation/Veritas/UKIP seem up their own arses.

BNP are idiots economically

Greens seem to by only other option for someone like me unfortunately as seems only way of voting for neither ken nor boris without voting for some other idiot. And their candidate is well, not bad looking! But can I really vote for them?!

It seems a shame that all the candidates so terrible
Not just economically...
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Of course you can vote Green! -- you get two votes. If your first choice (e.g. Sian, Green) doesn't get enough votes in the first round they're eliminated and your second vote (e.g. Livingstone) counts instead.

I'll be voting 1: Sian, 2: Livingstone (which happens to be what the Green Party recommends).

BNP are actually quite far left economically, they're just very authoritarian and racist. I.e. you can have cheap public transport so long as you're white.

I'll be embarrassed as a Londoner if Boris wins. We don't need a clown running the city, we've already got one running the country.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xaxa)
We don't need a clown running the city, we've already got one running the country.
QFT.
Choupinet
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)

The constituents of his that I know would take exception to that...
How many constituents of Henley do you know? I wonder if it is enough to actually be a fair sample of them.....

Also, one point if I may.

Boris Johnson was elected to Henley with a majority of 8,458 in 2001.

Boris Johnson was re-elected to Henley with a majority of 12,793 in 2004. (150th largest majority out of 635 MPs)

He wouldn't still be elected, let alone have a greater majority if he wasn't meeting at least general approval in his actions.
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Choupinet)
He wouldn't still be elected, let alone have a greater majority if he wasn't meeting at least general approval in his actions.
If we turn that around, then Ken Livingstone is a very popular mayor, which I'd think you would take exception to. Stats aren't everything...
Choupinet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If we turn that around, then Ken Livingstone is a very popular mayor, which I'd think you would take exception to. Stats aren't everything...
Good point.

However, I quoted Boris and his majority for Henley statistics in order to assert (with some substance) that Boris has been good as Henley MP and has had success there.

Ken Livingstone indeed has been popular and won 2 elections, however they were not against Boris. So indeed Livingstone was 're'endorsed twice when the potential opposition was just people like Steven Norris, Jeffrey Archer and Frank Dobson. Livingstone's re-election would suggest/prove that he was more favoured and popular than people like him, but it doesn't seem that he'd have similar success (he may still win but all I'm saying is he isn't looking to have a landslide) against Boris.

I'm totally fine in accepting that people like Norris or Archer weren't perfect, but I just seem so 'fervent' in support of Boris since I know actually that he is also genuinely seriously intelligent (and I don't just assume what his character is like from the popular 'buffoon' persona).
Socrates
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He is serious and intelligent, of that there is no doubt. That, however, does not translate into the fact that he will make a good mayor of Lodnon.
Choupinet
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He is serious and intelligent, of that there is no doubt. That, however, does not translate into the fact that he will make a good mayor of Lodnon.
Out of interest, this is not some sort of 'combative' question but, what would you say then is needed to be a 'good mayor' of London? (So, what does Boris lack that Ken would likely then have?)

Also, if I may ask the extra question, would you say Brian Paddick has similiar 'qualifications' or worse than Boris in potential?
Surprise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
according to his policies page in the candidates booklet, Boris wants to 'give Londoners more bang for their buck' and 'crack down on the culture of casual disorder'

wow great. I can't believe this man is being considered as mayor of an international city with population of over 7 million people when he has no real policies or specific targets apart from bringing back Routemaster buses.

he's not going to be able to rely on his contrived 'lovable' bumbling character to make things better when London has to deal with another major terrorist attack is he?

vote Ken!
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Surprise)
according to his policies page in the candidates booklet, Boris wants to 'give Londoners more bang for their buck' and 'crack down on the culture of casual disorder'
Quite right too. The former is, presumably, what all politicians intend to do, the latter is an extremely significant priority which would make a massive difference to the people of London.

he's not going to be able to rely on his contrived 'lovable' bumbling character to make things better when London has to deal with another major terrorist attack is he?
Ah, it's funny how the left can suddenly start using terrorism to scaremonger when it suits them.

The Labour Party is dead in the water, and all this negative campaigning nonsense is one of the major causes of it.
xaxa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Boris used the word "London" once in the House of Commons before he started his campaign to be mayor. That pretty well sums up his interest in London, don't you think?

Also, Jeremy Paxman asked him *12 times* how much his new (dangerous...) buses would cost, and he either didn't know or didn't want to admit it was too much. It's on Youtube!

I'll still vote Green (and I'd like you to do the same, you can still put Ken 2nd, and the voting system means your vote isn't wasted if Green don't win!).
EggCustard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have no idea who I'm voting for in the Mayor of London elections let alone the London assembly bit!!

might have to vote green for my first vote and boris for the 2nd vote... have no idea for the other elections.. how am I suppose to choose out of that lot?

I've only received a leaflet which doesn't tell me much at all.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Surprise)
Remind me again of Ken's contribution to the bombings?
tkane
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
------------------------
xaxa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
EggCustard -- didn't you get a booklet posted to you with all the candidates manifestos? I did...

If Green would be your first choice then Ken Livingstone should really be second -- his views are much closer to the Green party views than Boris's.
Amy_J
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Boris Johnson, without a second's hesetation.
aminalia89
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ken, my brain is fully functioning :p:
xaxa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Amy_J)
Boris Johnson, without a second's hesetation.
Why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
10.53%
They might tell the bully (3)
15.79%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
15.79%
It might lead to more bullying (6)
31.58%
There's nothing they could do (5)
26.32%

Watched Threads