Turn on thread page Beta

AQA English Language B - ENB5 - The Big Pre-release Thread! watch

• View Poll Results: Which pack of pre-release are you focusing on?
    The Pendle Witches
    27.43%
    Dyslexia
    41.59%
    Both
    30.97%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza07)
    OMG I can't believe I'm gonna admit this but I'm rather enjoying the Pendle Witches pack. :eek: I'm summarising each paragraph of the Old English texts in a couple of words and it's slowly working and I'm slowly getting there.
    I'm really enjoying at as well I think it's really interesting

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to enjoy the Pendle Witches pack but i'm really struggling to understand the old english texts such as texts F and G.

ReputationRep:
    yeah same i don't really understand text F

ReputationRep:
    Any help from anyone who does understand it would be hugely appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah-mai)
    I actually went to a recording last month - it was amaaazing. The studio is much tinier than it looks on TV and I spent most of the three hours freaking out about how I was a mere few feet away from Stephen and Alan! They both seem every bit as lovely and amusing in real life. Stephen is an absolute giant though - apparently he's 6'5", but he looked at least 7 ft to me!! Look out for the Fight & Flight themed episode...Alan in flying gear was very cute. If we both get into Bristol, we should set up a Quite Interesting society!

...I should probably focus on actually getting there first though - back to ENB5, I think! Wow krisholland, that's the most amazingly useful and comprehensive first post I've ever seen - thank you! I suppose I should prepare both packs since everyone else seems to be... at least then I'll have a choice of 4 questions, and I think everyone is right about the the dyslexia one having potentially awful questions due to it being so straightforward. I can't wait til this exam is over!
    Oh lordy, QI Society ftw! Which accommodation have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    Erm in the dyslexia pack, text N, i dont understand who the comments are supposed to be made by :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introspectre)
    Oh lordy, QI Society ftw! Which accommodation have you applied to?
    Woodland Court and Richmond Terrace... both seem pretty popular though, so fingers crossed I get one of them! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    My English Teacher said he thought the Pendle Witches question might be something targeted at children. I've nearly finished annotating the texts in it and I am inclined to agree with him. The texts just seem to repeat themselves but in an easier format each time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouz)
    Erm in the dyslexia pack, text N, i dont understand who the comments are supposed to be made by :s
    I know what you mean, I really don't like that text and doubt I'll end up using it. But I think the website is suggesting that those are common thoughts of parents of children with dyslexia, so basically, if you've ever thought more than a few of those things about your child... their behaviour could be down to dyslexia, so you might want to get them tested. Something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Woodland Court and Richmond Terrace... both seem pretty popular though, so fingers crossed I get one of them! How about you?
    Oooh, good choices! I picked Durdham Hall and Richmond Terrace, which are just as oversubscribed! I love them both though! Am I right in thinking Woodland Court's in the precinct?
    Eee, we're right off topic now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siofra)
    My English Teacher said he thought the Pendle Witches question might be something targeted at children. I've nearly finished annotating the texts in it and I am inclined to agree with him. The texts just seem to repeat themselves but in an easier format each time.

so it could be like a history book or website or something aimed at children..have you annotated texts F and G because I am really stuck!

ReputationRep:
    It could be something like that, yeah. He didn't really elaborate much because he isn't allowed to, obviously.I've done my best at annotating them, but they aren't very good. I just picked out the bits I could understand and wrote a sentence next to it in my own words, so it is only the basic gist of the texts. Text G really confused me, it seemed to say that the power would have come from God but that just doesn't seem right at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Introspectre)
    Oooh, good choices! I picked Durdham Hall and Richmond Terrace, which are just as oversubscribed! I love them both though! Am I right in thinking Woodland Court's in the precinct?
    Eee, we're right off topic now
    Durdham Hall looks really good... I was going to apply there but I'm so lazy that I thought I'd probably miss loads of lectures due to not wanting to/not having enough time to walk from Stoke Bishop every day, after getting up late! Yep, Woodland Court is the newest one built right on the precinct - that was part of the appeal!! I actually prefer Richmond Terrace (I looked around inside on an open day and liked it - pretty from the outside but modern on the inside!) but put it as my reserve choice as Woodland Court is so oversubscribed that I doubt I'll get a place...

Haha, we're taking over this thread with our off topic Bristol/QI chat! So that this post isn't entirely ENB5-less: does anyone else like me almost want a radio 4 script to come up :blushing: ? I'm probably going to get ordered to leave the thread now!! It's just that I can see a lot of potential for the dyslexia one, e.g. having a professional on, a parent, someone who's dealt with dyslexia...

ReputationRep:
    Durdham Hall looks really good... I was going to apply there but I'm so lazy that I thought I'd probably miss loads of lectures due to not wanting to/not having enough time to walk from Stoke Bishop every day, after getting up late! Yep, Woodland Court is the newest one built right on the precinct - that was part of the appeal!! I actually prefer Richmond Terrace (I looked around inside on an open day and liked it - pretty from the outside but modern on the inside!) but put it as my reserve choice as Woodland Court is so oversubscribed that I doubt I'll get a place...

Haha, we're taking over this thread with our off topic Bristol/QI chat! So that this post isn't entirely ENB5-less: does anyone else like me almost want a radio 4 script to come up :blushing: ? I'm probably going to get ordered to leave the thread now!! It's just that I can see a lot of potential for the dyslexia one, e.g. having a professional on, a parent, someone who's dealt with dyslexia...
    Lol, I made the thread so I declare myself thread God and I will talk about what I like :P I wrote a radio script for Women's Hour about Grace Darling and I got right into it! Bless us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felicity07)
    I'm starting to enjoy the Pendle Witches pack but i'm really struggling to understand the old english texts such as texts F and G.
    For anyone struggling with the Old English texts:
    http://www.pendlewitches.co.uk/content.php?page=demdike

It translate's some of the paragraphs into modern english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazza07)
    For anyone struggling with the Old English texts:
    http://www.pendlewitches.co.uk/content.php?page=demdike

It translate's some of the paragraphs into modern english.

thankyou so much that was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Ok, £20 says theres gonna be a website question. I feel it in my bones, it's gonna be there. Probably some sort of audio guide, maybe a magazine article, but theres definitely gonna be a website question, I put money on it:yy:

ReputationRep:
    totally agree on website. no website on the pendle witches pack. coincidence? think not.
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Lol i thought that ^. Detective skills! I'd quite like to do a website, but i dont understand how youd draw the different pages, with the links :s

ReputationRep:
    do a page just on layout before you write your answer (or add to it as you go along)
    like draw blank boxes, when you write the text you can put "Text box 1" before you write it. something like that =] and you can put "note to editor: such n such a font" and stuff like that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.