UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

iheartvet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
at least then you know in more time where to apply. if you do badly on the ukcat then you can regroup and reconsider.
alternatively, if one should be so fortunate as to do well, then maybe other schools will be considered.
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i just did the quantitative section in the passing UKCAT book and got 16/20 so i'm well pleased!
Got 6/20 in the verbal reasoning bit though so not too keen!
Verbal reasoning is just HARD!
I spose common sense just isn't common to me!
iheartvet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i feel like some of the answers in the verbal reasoning in that UKCAT book are questionable.
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
i just did the quantitative section in the passing UKCAT book and got 16/20 so i'm well pleased!
Got 6/20 in the verbal reasoning bit though so not too keen!
Verbal reasoning is just HARD!
I spose common sense just isn't common to me!
did you do all 20 questions and can i ask which ones you got wrong.??

i got 10/20 on the Verbal questions they are quite hard, and some of them seem dodgy!!!!
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Eden01)
Were you there on the 24th?
No, I went on the 28th (yesterday).
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hyeree)
we are having "UKCAT study sessions" the week before at school since there are about 10+ wanting to do medicine...
That's the thing - you can't study for it, you can only practice. I'd rather practice in my own time under my own guidance than be amongst pressures within a group which is why I'm preparing on my own.

As for doing it early, well, really it's to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. There's only so much I can do and I really don't think leaving it till September 30th will give me a better/worse score than when I do it on August 12th. That's just my two cents though.
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
That's the thing - you can't study for it, you can only practice. I'd rather practice in my own time under my own guidance than be amongst pressures within a group which is why I'm preparing on my own.
but i'd rather practice within a group though. because the group mostly consists of my friends =) so i'd be studying it with them anyway minus teacher, who's pretty useless imo but oh well, it's a start at least
Medicine Man
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jjkkll)
did you do all 20 questions and can i ask which ones you got wrong.??

i got 10/20 on the Verbal questions they are quite hard, and some of them seem dodgy!!!!
yeah i just about finished all 20 questions but some were pretty obvious from the options given and didn't require much 'thinking/working out time' so i picked those. Its also a huge guessing game! I guessed some too!
Got questions 3,7,12 and 16 wrong! I know, some of these were the simpler ones, but i just have to keep practising - its always those ones that catch me out!

Yeah verbal reasoning is dodgy! I thought i was reasonable at it until i got my score. And the wierd thing is that i actually finished before the time limit (which i didn't get the chance to do with the quantitative questions), had a look back at some answers i'd picked already (which i also didn't get the chance to do with the quantitative questions) and still did better on the quantitative section! lol

I'm really worried now!
Eden01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
No, I went on the 28th (yesterday).
Ahh... I didnt know they had a med open day then?
Nvm, yeah, its a nice place, I went on the 24th - may consider if UKCAT is okay!
OriginofSymmetry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why are so many people buying books and doing so much work toward it? It's an aptitude test. You can't study for it (except go through the test 2/3 times). The website and every University does not recommend buying books and whatnot. I went over the test once or twice and got an average of 702.5.

And for those worrying about it being 4 weeks ago, calm down! Nerves will only hinder your performance.
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how do you convert the marks you get in the SHORT test into the proper scores?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
how do you convert the marks you get in the SHORT test into the proper scores?

no one knows :mwuaha: its a well guarded secret!!!
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quick question: in the actual exam, do you have to scroll down the screen and stuff like on the practices on the UKCAT website, or does it all fit on the screen? Cheers.
OriginofSymmetry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
Quick question: in the actual exam, do you have to scroll down the screen and stuff like on the practices on the UKCAT website, or does it all fit on the screen? Cheers.

You have to scroll down on some, about 50% I would say. It's rather annoying.
IcarusExMachina
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
Why are so many people buying books and doing so much work toward it? It's an aptitude test. You can't study for it (except go through the test 2/3 times). The website and every University does not recommend buying books and whatnot. I went over the test once or twice and got an average of 702.5.

And for those worrying about it being 4 weeks ago, calm down! Nerves will only hinder your performance.
Exactly like me (except the score...i got a bit higher :P - but the only doing the practice website questions!)
i'm no superman
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
13 days now left till I sit it.
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
couldn't you always rearrange it if you don't feel comfortable taking it at this time?
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Mine is Right Now in 7 days!!!!! YAY , i refuse to worry about it, i will prepare for it 3/4 days before the examination.

couldn't you always rearrange it if you don't feel comfortable taking it at this time?

He could but i think getting the results the day before the AS results is prety much the perfect time for it, as if he does well then hell only have one day to see if his dreams will come true.

Where as i will have to wait a week driving myself nuts, as without the AS grades the UKCAT means nothing!!! nothing at all.
Isometrix
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this AR section is annoying me...
anyone got any tips for getting better at AR? i.e. what to look for and how to find the common trend in each of the sets.
jjkkll
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this AR section is annoying me...
anyone got any tips for getting better at AR? i.e. what to look for and how to find the common trend in each of the sets.

when u doin urs?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (215)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
6.93%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.57%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (259)
47.26%

Watched Threads