Turn on thread page Beta

Music Snobbery watch

• View Poll Results: Music Snobbery
    I am guilty of music snobbery, but it's a bad thing.
    16.18%
    I am guilty of music snobbery, but it is excusable/understandable.
    56.02%
    I am not guilty of music snobbery, and it's a bad thing.
    18.67%
    I am not guilty of music snobbery, but it is excusable/understandable.
    9.13%

ReputationRep:
    music snobbery ftw!
    Though theres always going to be someone whose more of a music snob than you so its alright really you can always be put back in your place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Is that a self-portrait? It's remarkably life-like; well done.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Is that a self-portrait? It's remarkably life-like; well done.
    That is a photo of Adolf Hitler, he was the leader of the Nazi party in 1940's Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler

ReputationRep:
    'unknown pleasures' by Joy Division is the greatest album ever, closely followed by highway 61 revisited by Bob Dylan, however, Led Zeppelin IV is also up there, radiohead have to be the most overrated band of all time. Of Course this is only my opinion so.......

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm not guilty of it. I've listened to various genres during 18 wonderful years of my life. :yep: I was a bit of a snob about 5 years ago though.

My brethrens ocassionally cuss me with "LOLZ U HAV RUBBISH TASTE, YOU LISTEN TO THE BEATLES AND PINK FLOYD" which I just take in my stride. Got better things to do, like listening to more music. :cool:

I used to be and sometimes it still bugs me when people suddenly love a band but don't even bother to listen to their previous 2 or 3 albums but I wouldn't class that as snobbery.
    Other than that I say you music snobs should get out more :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulgarity)
    And we look down on the percussion...
    I thought we were talking about "music"?

Percussionists aren't even musicians

(Original post by Stray_talk)
    I used to be and sometimes it still bugs me when people suddenly love a band but don't even bother to listen to their previous 2 or 3 albums but I wouldn't class that as snobbery.
    In our defense, we just don't have time to sit around and listen to a million discographies, as much as we'd like to. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    That is awesome. I want to find more of this kind of stuff.. any recommendations? I love some Aphex Twin (Vordhosbn is amazing) but I usully listen to albums rather than songs and have never got into any of his albums as wholes..

so yeah, any recommendations? I like dark, and extreme.
    If you've heard Vordhosbn then I presume you've listened to the rest of drukqs, no? Thats pretty dark as it is - my favourite Aphex release, as such. It's a shame that he hasn't done more material like Vordhosbn, Meltphace 6 or Mt. Saint Michel..., as for me that was the really peak of his more messed up material. People go on about The Richard D. James Album or Come to Daddy (if anything, the helpaphextwin_2.0 remix by V/Vm is my favourite version) and Windowlicker but eh, I'm really not a huge fan of all that. It feels far too happy, jumpy and more like his acid AFX works, which I love, but I sort of wish he could of kept them a little seperate.

''Ventolin'', however, is a step in the right direction and might be what you're looking for when it comes down the darker, more extreme stuff, as is [Symbol] from the Windowlicker EP. Esp. dark and moody is the Selected Ambient Works albums, but moreso SAW II for tracks like ''Blue Calx'' and ''[cliffs]''

You can't go wrong with the drukqs and SAW albums, notably the second, though. Easily his darkest and moodiest works and in my opinion, his best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 61e.CR)
    If you've heard Vordhosbn then I presume you've listened to the rest of drukqs, no? Thats pretty dark as it is - my favourite Aphex release, as such. It's a shame that he hasn't done more material like Vordhosbn, Meltphace 6 or Mt. Saint Michel..., as for me that was the really peak of his more messed up material. People go on about The Richard D. James Album or Come to Daddy (if anything, the helpaphextwin_2.0 remix by V/Vm is my favourite version) and Windowlicker but eh, I'm really not a huge fan of all that. It feels far too happy, jumpy and more like his acid AFX works, which I love, but I sort of wish he could of kept them a little seperate.

''Ventolin'', however, is a step in the right direction and might be what you're looking for when it comes down the darker, more extreme stuff, as is [Symbol] from the Windowlicker EP. Esp. dark and moody is the Selected Ambient Works albums, but moreso SAW II for tracks like ''Blue Calx'' and ''[cliffs]''

You can't go wrong with the drukqs and SAW albums, notably the second, though. Easily his darkest and moodiest works and in my opinion, his best.
    I like the dark and moody, but I find alot of electronic music incredibly boring.. Ive heard the whole of drukqs and SAW and I just get bored... I like Vordhosbn for the glitch and the undercurrents and textures, layers.. I guess im after something a bit more extreme, verging on noise, but still maintaining the hooks underneath. Ventolin is alright.. but i dunno, doesnt hold my attention.

This is Xinlisupreme who I adore for the layered noise..

(Original post by =nuke=)
    In our defense, we just don't have time to sit around and listen to a million discographies, as much as we'd like to. :p:

Ok then, at least a few songs from a previous album :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Ok then, at least a few songs from a previous album :p:
    All real music snobs know that debut albums are always the best (or even better, obscure EPs and demos) and every band has sold out by album 3 :p:

on a less sarcastic note... I was wondering today whether it was possible to be a pop music snob?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    All real music snobs know that debut albums are always the best (or even better, obscure EPs and demos) and every band has sold out by album 3 :p:

on a less sarcastic note... I was wondering today whether it was possible to be a pop music snob?
    Every band has definitely sold out by album three.

Hell, that's why I came up with the term "three album death", as seen on urbandictionary.

ReputationRep:
    Although it's a shame that some bands do change their sound to sell records, we can't expect them to make the same record over and over again... unless they're U2.

Cue Clubber Lang. :p:
    You do know that U2 were on the brink of bankruptcy in 1997 and had a lot of unsold out shows due to them releasing music different from their norm donctha?

Only their last 2 albums have been very 'mainstream'.

ReputationRep:
    radiohead fans are like a bad smell.

(Original post by Clubber Lang)
    You do know that U2 were on the brink of bankruptcy in 1997 and had a lot of unsold out shows due to them releasing music different from their norm donctha?

Only their last 2 albums have been very 'mainstream'.
    As always, it'll depend on your definition of 'mainstream'. Their videos appearing on Top Of The Pops throughout my childhood is enough for me. :p:

ReputationRep:
    As always, it'll depend on your definition of mainstream. Their videos appearing on Top Of The Pops throughout my childhood is enough for me. :p:
    Thats pretty different from my idea of mainstream...albums like Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby were hardly pop type mainstream albums

Its not really their fault that some of their albums sold millions of copies - that was kind of the point for artists back then (and even now i assume)

I don't see how Muse for example would be any different

You;d only have aproblem with them if you were purposefully into bands who are not mainstream at the cost of listening to 'good music' your loss

But to say they don't try new stuff is definitley incorrect.

I don't see how Muse for example would be any different
    In terms of 'mainstream' popularity? No, neither would I.

You;d only have aproblem with them if you were purposefully into bands who are not mainstream at the cost of listening to 'good music' your loss
    I have a problem with them because I don't like their music. Most of the bands I listen to are 'mainstream'.

ReputationRep:
    then you can't diss U2 for it

Plsu they don;t release the same music over and over..so bow down!

Anyway you will be glad to know U2 domination is coming in the enw year... I am desperate for a 'non mainstream' album but just to annoy you i hope they release something mega mainstream and popular!

ReputationRep:
    then you can't diss U2 for it

Plsu they don;t release the same music over and over..so bow down!

Anyway you will be glad to know U2 domination is coming in the enw year... I am desperate for a 'non mainstream' album but just to annoy you i hope they release something mega mainstream and popular!
    Last album was 10 million and has the second best selling tour of all time after it, I think it's going to be huge.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.