Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm trying to see who else has got an offer, just out of interest/general social nature. Mine is A*AA for Christ's College, no particular subject, but I reckon the A*'ll be in Maths, then A in French and English (**FINGERS CROSSED!**). This thread probably exists but I couldn't find it amid the sea of people who use Linguist to mean MML student, which is understandable but confusing.

So anyway, yeah, Hiii! and just what's your offer/what subjects do you do/what have you read/how was your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heloise with an H)
    Hey! I'm trying to see who else has got an offer, just out of interest/general social nature. Mine is A*AA for Christ's College, no particular subject, but I reckon the A*'ll be in Maths, then A in French and English (**FINGERS CROSSED!**). This thread probably exists but I couldn't find it amid the sea of people who use Linguist to mean MML student, which is understandable but confusing.

So anyway, yeah, Hiii! and just what's your offer/what subjects do you do/what have you read/how was your interview?
    Hi

I have an unconditional for Newnham. (Currently on a gap year.)

For the interviews I read The Language Instinct (what a surprise ), then a couple of things to do with language acquisition and psycholinguistics, as those are what I'm most interested in - though I guess it all might change when we actually start the course.

I kind of enjoyed the actual interviews. I'm guessing we must have had the same linguistic puzzle questions at all the colleges?

How about you? And good luck with your exams!

ReputationRep:
    I have unconditional at King's, as I'm also on a gap year. Well, more accurately I was at uni last year studying Chinese but I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do. I enjoyed the modern language aspect, but history and Classical Chinese wasn't my thing, and I enjoy languages from an analytical viewpoint.so I decided to drop out and apply elsewhere for linguistics. The course at Cambridge looks really good and the professor at King's is really nice and was very helpful, when I was trying to decide between Cambridge and UCL. Can't wait to go in October!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquatius)
    I have unconditional at King's, as I'm also on a gap year. Well, more accurately I was at uni last year studying Chinese but I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do. I enjoyed the modern language aspect, but history and Classical Chinese wasn't my thing, and I enjoy languages from an analytical viewpoint.so I decided to drop out and apply elsewhere for linguistics. The course at Cambridge looks really good and the professor at King's is really nice and was very helpful, when I was trying to decide between Cambridge and UCL. Can't wait to go in October!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, I did that - switched to Linguistics from Chinese for the same reasons. Going into third year now

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! Were you at Cambridge before?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what will the linguistics interview be like? I am not english mothertongue, is that going to be a great disadvantage? I'm applying at King's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscopot)
    Anyone know what will the linguistics interview be like? I am not english mothertongue, is that going to be a great disadvantage? I'm applying at King's.
    The review was very relaxed for me. Basically just chatted for about 10-15 minutes about constructed languages. A lot of other people said they were given one or two tasks. English not being your first language shouldn't be a problem for those, as they're general linguistic deduction tasks. Also, as linguists themselves I'm sure the interviewers will be very accommodating

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Linguistics at Christ's - so now we wait for interview news...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliSayeed)
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've applied to Queens'. Do you have any particular interests within linguistics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjackett)
    Hi, I've applied to Queens'. Do you have any particular interests within linguistics?
    My application has a historical/comparative linguistics slant. I like philology - Indo-European, because I'm unadventurous.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Robinson's for linguistics, and gotten an interview - two, they're on the 11th of December - and now I'm terrified. Anyone else hear back?

ReputationRep:
    Two interviews from Christ's, on the 10th...

ReputationRep:
    1 interview from King's, 9th!

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone's interviews go? Mine was completely different to what I'd expected and it felt so short as well! I've got no idea if I did well or not, because the interviewers were so hard to read!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjackett)
    How did everyone's interviews go? Mine was completely different to what I'd expected and it felt so short as well! I've got no idea if I did well or not, because the interviewers were so hard to read!
    Mine was so different from I expected as well. Everyone told me there would be quiz with several sentences asking you to spot the significant points in there, but I was given some sort of african language asking me to tell what does each word mean. How about u, were u given any problem to solve? BTW Doctor Bert is really nice~

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was fun! Bert was very nice - and I had a general interview with Dr Vout, the classicist at Christ's, who was nice too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtenosHermes)
    Mine was so different from I expected as well. Everyone told me there would be quiz with several sentences asking you to spot the significant points in there, but I was given some sort of african language asking me to tell what does each word mean. How about u, were u given any problem to solve? BTW Doctor Bert is really nice~
    I had to decipher some kind of African language too! I think I managed to work it out, but it was quite scary because my interviews were sat directly opposite, looking at me. I tried to think out loud, so that there weren't any awkward silences.

I worked out which words were the verbs and the nouns. Then they asked me what the other word meant, but I can't remember what I said! My mind has gone blank on most of the experience!

ReputationRep:
    Do we know when we can expect to hear news of offers?

ReputationRep:
    Do we know when we can expect to hear news of offers?
    The admissions tutor at Queens' said from 4th January onwards, but this could vary from college to college :-)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.