The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

PeeLee
If once i get my results I get into my firm, if i ring up and ask to be released, will i go into clearing or would i then be accepted by my insurance?

It depends on what you ask them to do. A firm university can either reject you (and so you're handed on to your insurance choice) OR they can release you into clearing.

Make it very clear which you want to happen or you might end up having to arrange a release from your firm only to find yourself still tied you your insurance (ie double the number of nagging phone calls...)
coco_pops1
does any body know how to change the address on ucas??

I presume you've already applied.

If so, log onto track, click on welcome and then on main menu, then click on Personal details and change it from there. :smile:
javjamoll
Well I got a reply from the admissions guy for the clearing course, he said he'll email me again shortly with more info. SHould I bother putting it on UCAS yet? or just wait a little while longer?

Don't apply for a place in Clearing via Track until explicitly instructed to by a uni

If you haven't had a response from an email then try phoning - emails are always the lowest priority during results weeks - the people who ring up get answers quicker. If you aren't getting any clear answers on the phone then make sure to ask for (and WRITE DOWN) the name and job title of the people you speak to on the phone.
Usually how long should a conversation over the phone with a university in clearing take? I many need to phone several unis and I don't want the places to be filled up whilst I'm still talking to uni #1.
Why would there be a standard length of time for conversations when every individuals case is different?
Shayilalraya
Usually how long should a conversation over the phone with a university in clearing take? I many need to phone several unis and I don't want the places to be filled up whilst I'm still talking to uni #1.

Places don't fill up that quickly - within a week or so yes but not within hours.

In 2007 there were still thousands of places available a fortnight after results.
PQ
Don't apply for a place in Clearing via Track until explicitly instructed to by a uni

If you haven't had a response from an email then try phoning - emails are always the lowest priority during results weeks - the people who ring up get answers quicker. If you aren't getting any clear answers on the phone then make sure to ask for (and WRITE DOWN) the name and job title of the people you speak to on the phone.

I did phone up yesterday, then the admissions guy for the course told me to send an email to the admissions at the Faculty of Science where he would continue it... I got a reply yesterday night from him. Not heard anythign yet... so I should just wait?
javjamoll
I did phone up yesterday, then the admissions guy for the course told me to send an email to the admissions at the Faculty of Science where he would continue it... I got a reply yesterday night from him. Not heard anythign yet... so I should just wait?

Either wait or phone again and ask whether they've decided yet and if not when they'll decide.

Don't assume that a delay or lack of response means that they want you to apply.
sleekchic
Why would there be a standard length of time for conversations when every individuals case is different?

i didnt say standard length of time; i said usually
PQ
Places don't fill up that quickly - within a week or so yes but not within hours.

In 2007 there were still thousands of places available a fortnight after results.

certain courses fill faster than others...there may be thousands of places a fortnight after results but not everyone would want to go to those courses
Shayilalraya
certain courses fill faster than others...there may be thousands of places a fortnight after results but not everyone would want to go to those courses

yes - but only 50% of the people who found a place in clearing in 2007 had had their place officially confirmed TWO WEEKS after results day - and that's taking into account all the clearing places made after the Scottish results.

If you're the right person for a course then you wont lose a place because you phoned up at midday rather than 11am on results day - if you leave it a week to start ringing around then you're not going to have many options but places aren't GONE within hours of clearing opening - even the universities don't want people making snap decisions - they want applicants making reasoned CALM decisions and making the RIGHT choice.
If you don't meet your offer for either your Firm or Conditional, does the status change to "Unsuccessful" or remain "Conditional"?

I can't bear the thought of refreshing the page to see Unsuccessful. At least if the status remains Conditional I can kid myself into thinking my track hasn't updated until I get my results. :rolleyes:
i think it says unsuccessful
Reply 273
Vicious Fishes
If you don't meet your offer for either your Firm or Conditional, does the status change to "Unsuccessful" or remain "Conditional"?

I can't bear the thought of refreshing the page to see Unsuccessful. At least if the status remains Conditional I can kid myself into thinking my track hasn't updated until I get my results. :rolleyes:

It depends how quicly your uni gets to you. Ulitmqtely it will say unsuccessful but some change much sooner than other. There's no realy way of judging.
UNconditional
UNsuccessful

They both look the same! :eek4:
Thanks guys, I actually found the answer here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UCAS_Track_on_results_day

You really should be able to delete threads.
Reply 276
!MEna
UNconditional
UNsuccessful

They both look the same! :eek4:

I thought i was the only one who had trouble distinguishing between the two , thank goodness.
Apparently UCAS changes on the 19th of August to say whether the uni has accepted you or not??
Wondered if this was true becuase i go on holiday on the 19th and really would like to know if iv gotten in before i go!
:smile: thanks
Reply 278
It doesn't, it updates on 20th, at about 6-7am, provided the uni has sent UCAS the information.
Last year, the year above me (previous year 13's) got their results by text message at mid-night, does that happen for most universities this year?

Latest

Trending

Trending