Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Wow, I've seen fatties, but I didn't know that could actually happen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickwickian_syndrome

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link!

Ok, turns out I have come across this, I just didn't know it was because of the guy's obesity or that it had a name. It all makes much more sense now.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    The chaperone one is just odd. And slightly sleazy.
    Haha, I went for this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    You haven't heard that figure of speech or don't have money to spend?
    It means - I think that our cleaner is worth the money they cost... even though I think I probably clean more thoroughly the trade-off of not spending my spare time doing it from scratch is worth it. Luxury!
    Oh I know what it means, just yes, the luxury! Students hiring cleaners!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    Elles is qualified :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Elles is qualified :confused:
    I suppose it's not obvious Becs- she doesn't have Elles - FY2!!!! plastered everywhere... :O

ReputationRep:
    Two flatmates and I finally finish PBL write up. Cheeky celebratory pint at 5am? I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Two flatmates and I finally finish PBL write up. Cheeky celebratory pint at 5am? I think so.
    LAD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    When I was flathunting, I went to see a place in Central that was lovely, when I met by potential flatmates, the first thing they said was 'We're sorry, its not portered'...Well, thats that one out of the running then...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    spent all day with the orthopods yesterday on take. Ortho isn't all that bad!

ReputationRep:
    SSC day + having finished SSC = freedom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    I respect this.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I'm firing questions

"Describe the pathology and likely cause of pulmonary embolus in this case"

So would that just be discussing things like: Caused by a thrombus in the lower limb, goes through circulation into IVC, lodges in pulmonary arteries, can cause RHF etc (obviously in more detail). I don't think I understand the wording.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)

So would that just be discussing things like: Caused by a thrombus in the lower limb, goes through circulation into IVC, lodges in pulmonary arteries, can cause RHF etc (obviously in more detail). I don't think I understand the wording.
    I could be wrong, but I thought lower limb thrombi actually very rarely progressed to pulmonary embolism cos the veins there are quite small, but a thrombus from the pelvis is going to be much larger and therefore more likely to lodge in the pulmonary vessels? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

Whoa, you're racing through our assignment I think you're on the right lines here, how an embolus forms and how it progresses into a PE. As the pt just had surgery, maybe look for some papers with stats and info regarding PE's after surgery. You're a first year at soton as well aren't you? Who are you (PM)?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I could be wrong, but I thought lower limb thrombi actually very rarely progressed to pulmonary embolism cos the veins there are quite small, but a thrombus from the pelvis is going to be much larger and therefore more likely to lodge in the pulmonary vessels? :dontknow:
    The assignment doesn't say exactly where the patient injured his leg. Looking at one paper, it says trauma/operations on the pelvis/hip/thigh/knee are most likely to damage endothelium. 25% of cases of PE occur 15-30 days after surgery. But I may be barking up the wrong tree!

(Original post by Alex D)
    Whoa, you're racing through our assignment I think you're on the right lines here, how an embolus forms and how it progresses into a PE. As the pt just had surgery, maybe look for some papers with stats and info regarding PE's after surgery. You're a first year at soton as well aren't you? Who are you (PM)?
    I'm trying to get it done as quickly as possible :p:. I'm just not sure if we stop at how the embolus got lodged, or carry on and discuss the consequences like RHF. I'll send you a PM but I'll be surprised if you know who I am :p:

ReputationRep:

You might also want to mention other causes for the embolism apart from a thrombus such as fat etc which might happen after trauma such as falling while rock climbing in the Andes
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phryx)
    You might also want to mention other causes for the embolism apart from a thrombus such as fat etc which might happen after trauma such as falling while rock climbing in the Andes
    :adore: Thanks! How's year 2 treating you?

ReputationRep:
    :adore: Thanks! How's year 2 treating you?

Ye year 2 is good. Lots of people will try and scare you with talk of January Neuro exams but they're not actually too bad. Although roughly 30% of the year did fail semester 3. Also in Year 2 you only have to do 1 reflective essay which you write as a group! 1000 words split 5 ways!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onychophagia)
    LAD.
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I respect this.
    So one pint turned into many. We did he "PBL write up challenge" which consisted of a gin and tonid, a int of strongbow, a pint of perry cider (8% might i add), a pint of deperadoes, a bottle of iwne. oh and two shots ofr htis psycick bull**** which tasted like vomit.

I had bpbl at 9 which i turned up to mashed and without sleep. I am such a mess. I turned up absolutly ****ing krebs cycled. Like sluring and mixing up words. I'd been sick once outside. It was 9am.

Instead of doing my SAQs I turned the sheet over and drew a massive welsh dragon in biro. I scored 1/10 for effort. Apparently I admitted not doing my PBL cause I was up till 5am doing my write up then went and got hammered with overpriced drink from the 24hour near me. Then when he asked my qeustion to the person next to me I appaerntly shouted "AT LEAST I'VE GOT MY ATTENDANCE MARK!" then sat back in my chair looking reall smug.

I just had to go apologise to my pbl tutor while still being half cut so he won't rport mne. He's a prtety nice guy so i dont think he will though. He seemed to like my apology and accepted my write up with bno isseues.

worst opf all, I have the hardest exam of the first year. Ojn friday. Which is three days away. I have done no work. I am ****ed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.