Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    We wont be playing 4-2-3-1 all the time next season more 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1. If there ever was an indication were going to be using different formations is that were signing Jovetic
    I really don't understand why you're so adamant that we will return to the outdated 4-4-2 formation next season?

If we do get Jovetic, it's much more likely he will play primarily as a ST/LW (as well as offering cover for the RW/AM positions) rather than being the deepest of the 2 in a 4-4-2.

ReputationRep:
    Jovetic could play LW, up front or as a support striker. Extremely talented player who has scored goals in the Champions League and has been on the radar of top clubs for years. He is creative, good at beating players, has an instinct to find space and is more than capable of finishing chances. His goal tally is a bit low, yes, but I would expect that to rise under Wenger. Frankly there aren't many better players in our team, I think he would improve our front line massively. That's not even taking into account that he is young and has great potential to improve even more.

Seen far too many players slip through the net and go on to be game changers at other clubs over the last few years. We should go all out to get him. The price tag may be steep and I can understand people who are worried about this, but this is the market we face nowadays. I for one would rather spend a bit more on a quality player who will definitely rejuvinate our attacking play than gamble on a cheaper option who may or may not make this kind of impact a la Gervinho / Giroud.

Some exciting rumours today but that's all they are. As others have said, doesn't mean **** till its on the website.

ReputationRep:

:rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    I really don't understand why you're so adamant that we will return to the outdated 4-4-2 formation next season?

If we do get Jovetic, it's much more likely he will play primarily as a ST/LW (as well as offering cover for the RW/AM positions) rather than being the deepest of the 2 in a 4-4-2.
    Why would Wenger use Jovetic on the LW when he's a effective number 10. Wenger alreadly gave explanations on Podolski and Santi played on the wings

Btw I can see Bould going to Stoke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Nah they definitely didn't care..

This is beautiful. Apparently Alan Sugar spread the rumor that they equalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Jovetic on 70k per week. Bite their ****ing hands off for that.

Get rid of Podi now please.
    He's had a good first season mate and we wouldnt have got top 4 without him. Agree that he's not quite good enough for a title bid, but as a squad player he is definitely an asset. Not saying I'd turn my nose up at a 15m bid but there are bigger problems in the team for sure.

Not the biggest fan of stats but he has 16 goals and a similar number of assists, whilst playing mainly out wide and also whilst being substituted with 20 minutes to go in literally every match. Many of them also coming at crucial moments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Have any of you actually seen Jovetic play? He has 14 goals this season so I'm not entirely convinced. We need a lethal finisher, someone who will guarantee 20+ goals a season. So in that regard I would take Higuain over him.
    Im genuinely struggling to understand why Jovetic is going for 25m. To me he looks like a 15m player given his stats etc.

Given some of the other transfers recently like Suarez for 23m, Aguero for 35m, Hazard for 30m etc etc I really cant justify 25m for Jovetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Why would Wenger use Jovetic on the LW when he's a effective number 10. Wenger alreadly gave explanations on Podolski and Santi played on the wings

Btw I can see Bould going to Stoke
    It is a lot more conceivable that Wenger would play Jovetic on the left - a position he is comfortable in - rather than changing the whole formation because of one player. It's not like Wenger doesn't have previous for playing strikers on the wing :rolleyes:.

If Wenger really wants Jovetic to play as a number 10 then he will play him in the Cesc role as opposed to the Bergkamp role which requires a formation most of our current personnel are not suited to.

ReputationRep:
    ''Alright Jovetic, you'll be playing the Bergkamp role with Theo Walcott in the Henry role and Gervinho in the Pires role'' :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Im genuinely struggling to understand why Jovetic is going for 25m. To me he looks like a 15m player given his stats etc.

Given some of the other transfers recently like Suarez for 23m, Aguero for 35m, Hazard for 30m etc etc I really cant justify 25m for Jovetic.
    Imo £19m would be the price that reflects his ability/potential. We're currently shopping in the second-tier of strikers because to get a world-class striker right now (e.g. Falcao, Cavani, Lewandoski) we would need to be spending £30+ at the minimum. Higuain is pretty much the only other top striker within our budget and I can see why Wenger would want Jovetic instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    Imo £19m would be the price that reflects his ability/potential. We're currently shopping in the second-tier of strikers because to get a world-class striker right now (e.g. Falcao, Cavani, Lewandoski) we would need to be spending £30+ at the minimum. Higuain is pretty much the only other top striker within our budget and I can see why Wenger would want Jovetic instead.
    Yeah no doubt he's talented and still young, plus Wenger usually gets players for less than is reported. Case in point Gervinho who was said to cost 11m, but in actual fact Wenger's come out and said he cost 8m so for all we know Jovetic is going for 20m.

From what I've seen of Jovetic he's much more like Suarez than Bergkamp and I think we've missed a player like that for years. But I'd like to see us bring in a more traditional striker as well because I'm not sure how well Giroud would play with him tbh. Signing Higuain as well would be a massive statement.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person in here that had been disappointed by Higuain every time I've seen him play?

ReputationRep:
    Such a shame, pulis got unofficially sacked. He may have played route 1 football but he did it with flair.

It would be terrible for arsenal to buy another striker like giroud.

ReputationRep:
    Higuain is a good striker but IMO he doesn't fit in with arsenal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Such a shame, pulis got unofficially sacked. He may have played route 1 football but he did it with flair.

It would be terrible for arsenal to buy another striker like giroud.
    Jovetic is NOT like Giroud, althought they may share similar build & trait, but that doesn't mean Jovetic plays like Giroud...Jovetic is on a different scale IMO and would welcome him with open arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Higuain is a good striker but IMO he doesn't fit in with arsenal

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And how would he not fit in with arsenal?

(ps. genuine question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    And how would he not fit in with arsenal?

(ps. genuine question)
    Usually we are better with a more creative striker although signing giroud....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    Jovetic is NOT like Giroud, althought they may share similar build & trait, but that doesn't mean Jovetic plays like Giroud...Jovetic is on a different scale IMO and would welcome him with open arms.
    Think he meant higuain was like a bit of an upgrade on giroud

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Think he meant higuain was like a bit of an upgrade on giroud

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh, sorry Higuan > Giroud no arguments

ReputationRep:
    Well looks like Walcott isn't gonna get his ridiculous wish to play down the middle

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.