Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    What would you include on sidereal and solar days though?

The only things I could think of are:

Sideral days take 23 hours and 56 minutes
    A day is the time taken for a star to return to the same position in the sky, as seen from Earth (for Earth to rotate 360 degrees in respect to the position of that star)
    Solar days take 24 hours
    A day is the time taken for the sun to return to the same position in the sky, as seen from Earth (for Earth to do a full 360 degree rotation whilst orbiting the Sun)
    Sidereal days are 4 minutes less than Solar days because the Earth has to do a full 360 degree rotation whilst orbiting the Sun.
    I'd also mention that the solar day happens because the Earth orbits the sun in the same direction in the same direction it spins on its axis. It also could ask you about the moon as well (25 hours) and maybe that this is longer than a solar day as the Moons orbit of Earth is shorter than the Earths orbit of the Sun. But yeah it's quite unlikely I guess, quite possible for a 4 mark though

EDIT: could ask for a diagram too perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    What would you include on sidereal and solar days though?

The only things I could think of are:

Sideral days take 23 hours and 56 minutes
    A day is the time taken for a star to return to the same position in the sky, as seen from Earth (for Earth to rotate 360 degrees in respect to the position of that star)
    Solar days take 24 hours
    A day is the time taken for the sun to return to the same position in the sky, as seen from Earth (for Earth to do a full 360 degree rotation whilst orbiting the Sun)
    Sidereal days are 4 minutes less than Solar days because the Earth has to do a full 360 degree rotation whilst orbiting the Sun.
    You could also include solar days are longer because they are orbittibg/rotating in the same direction, if it was opposite directions i think a solar day would be shorter? And it could ask to explain with diagrams(for that 6th mark)

ReputationRep:
    What would you say with this?

1. 6. explain why the pressure and volume of a gas vary with temperature using a molecular model

When you increase the pressure and decrease the volume, then the temperature increases. Decreasing the volume means that there's less space available for the gas particles, so that they're in a more confined space. Increase the pressure means that there will be more collisions in the small space, so a greater amount of force will be exerted in the collisions, so that there's more kinetic energy between the particles. This means that there'll be even more collisions, so the temperature in the container will increase.

Is this right or...?

ReputationRep:
    What would you say with this?

1. 6. explain why the pressure and volume of a gas vary with temperature using a molecular model

When you increase the pressure and decrease the volume, then the temperature increases. Decreasing the volume means that there's less space available for the gas particles, so that they're in a more confined space. Increase the pressure means that there will be more collisions in the small space, so a greater amount of force will be exerted in the collisions, so that there's more kinetic energy between the particles. This means that there'll be even more collisions, so the temperature in the container will increase.

Is this right or...?
    Looks good to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricalvibe)
    You could also include solar days are longer because they are orbittibg/rotating in the same direction, if it was opposite directions i think a solar day would be shorter? And it could ask to explain with diagrams(for that 6th mark)
    Ah thank you! I wouldn't have thought about including the same direction - that's what'd probably push up the marks too.

(Original post by azo)
    I'd also mention that the solar day happens because the Earth orbits the sun in the same direction in the same direction it spins on its axis. It also could ask you about the moon as well (25 hours) and maybe that this is longer than a solar day as the Moons orbit of Earth is shorter than the Earths orbit of the Sun. But yeah it's quite unlikely I guess, quite possible for a 4 mark though

EDIT: could ask for a diagram too perhaps?
    Thank you too! Yup, same as the above poster ^ I wouldn't have thought about including the fact about them rotating in the same direction, so thank you! Yup, I if it included the moon then I could definitely see it being a 6 marker.

(Original post by Krollo)
    Looks good to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I really need to ace this exam the best that I can, so I'm trying to cover some spec points clearly with the correct answers that could probably come up in the exam and have a lot of marks connected to them - so thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyHylian)
    "Is Alevel maths hard".
    Yes, yes it is XD
    I'm taking French, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, General Studies and Level 3 Extended Project 'Alevel'. (They force us to do general studied and EPA at Notre Dame. :/)
    Another fellow futur triplelist
    What you hoping to do at Uni?

(Original post by studentscience04)
    What subjects are people taking in a level
    Im still in year 10 only doing physics this year, but is as/a level maths hard?
    I do sometimes sturggle with gcse maths though lol
    Anyone taking chemistry, economics or pyscology? I also heard english language is really easy
    Most say it's not too bad at AS, I've done the first core topic which isn't too bad, and it's more challenging but in a good way and you feel like your learning 'proper' maths, however the topics I've done are the easier parts of A-level maths and it get's harder but from what I've seen and heard better

Don't worry about if you strugle with maths too much, just try and get a good grasp of algebra and graphs and that'll give you a good foundation for it all, that's what C1 basically is( and differentiation and intergration and some sequences stuff but they're not too bad)

I'm taking the sciences and maybe psychology aswell(or philosophy, still debating ) and maths

ReputationRep:
    Another fellow futur triplelist
    What you hoping to do at Uni?

Most say it's not too bad at AS, I've done the first core topic which isn't too bad, and it's more challenging but in a good way and you feel like your learning 'proper' maths, however the topics I've done are the easier parts of A-level maths and it get's harder but from what I've seen and heard better

Don't worry about if you strugle with maths too much, just try and get a good grasp of algebra and graphs and that'll give you a good foundation for it all, that's what C1 basically is( and differentiation and intergration and some sequences stuff but they're not too bad)

I'm taking the sciences and maybe psychology aswell(or philosophy, still debating ) and maths
    I hate sequences... so glad on AQA that they come up at C2 instead of C1

ReputationRep:
    I'm like the only one in my school taking all sciences and maths for a level

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate sequences... so glad on AQA that they come up at C2 instead of C1
    Ah, lucky! It's boring and because of that my teacher spent like 1 lesson on it wheb i did additional maths(are you doing that?) :lol: i love the algebra in it though, it's like reallly top tier gcse algebra so it's a fun challenge solving it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DDan123)
    I'm like the only one in my school taking all sciences and maths for a level

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But you stick with your options because at university you want to [fill in here]?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, lucky! It's boring and because of that my teacher spent like 1 lesson on it wheb i did additional maths(are you doing that?) :lol: i love the algebra in it though, it's like reallly top tier gcse algebra so it's a fun challenge solving it
    We've just finished our exams for AQA Level 2 Further Maths, but that didn't contain any sequences as such like that, just the general linear, quadratic and expressing n as a limiting factor --> infinity. It contained some great things though, like equations of normals, tangents, max, min, stationary etc and that was fun. It even had matrices, which AQA abused on our exams. I can't wait for A Level Maths though! We've practically covered 2/3 of it apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyHylian)
    Think how awesome you'd look with 3 super good science grades though at GCSE
    Meh xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olmyster911)
    Meh xD
    Have you done any P7 or are you going to blag it?

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any P7 or are you going to blag it?
    I have to try the hardest with revision for P7, because physics was never the focal point () of my revision at the start of the exam season. You?

ReputationRep:
    We've just finished our exams for AQA Level 2 Further Maths, but that didn't contain any sequences as such like that, just the general linear, quadratic and expressing n as a limiting factor --> infinity. It contained some great things though, like equations of normals, tangents, max, min, stationary etc and that was fun. It even had matrices, which AQA abused on our exams. I can't wait for A Level Maths though! We've practically covered 2/3 of it apparently.
    I'd say it covers about 3/4 of C1 and about 3/5 of C2. The only things that come to mind that aren't included are arithmetic and geometric sequences, ambiguous triangles (as cool as they sound), integration, and some bits of coordinate geometry. If you look at some C1 and C2 past papers, you can judge for yourself how much more you need to cover.

For AS there's also an applied module you have to do, normally Stats 1 or Mechanics 1 but occasionally Decision 1. Stats 1 is fairly easy, the first half is a recap of GCSE and there's nothing too difficult after that. There's a lot of tedious formula use though. Mechanics 1 (which I have yet to self teach) looks a damn sight more interesting, but also a bit more difficult. Decision 1 is apparently very easy, but also very boring. Unis don't look too highly on it.

A2 is a whole different ball game. Suffice to say that trig identities get harder, the differentiation goes up a notch, but there's also some light relief in graph sketching, numerical methods (read - bashing numbers into a calculator for ten minutes) and vectors in 3D.

How did AQA abuse the matrices? I thought they were reasonable questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olmyster911)
    I have to try the hardest with revision for P7, because physics was never the focal point () of my revision at the start of the exam season. You?
    Yup I've been trying to focus but I just can't get the momentum to get the work done. I'm just constantly refracting away from P7 - however, it is really interesting though. In the CGP book, you can more or less ignore the second to last page as it's common sense, similarly with the E.T life section I find.

I love science jokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    I'd say it covers about 3/4 of C1 and about 3/5 of C2. The only things that come to mind that aren't included are arithmetic and geometric sequences, ambiguous triangles (as cool as they sound), integration, and some bits of coordinate geometry. If you look at some C1 and C2 past papers, you can judge for yourself how much more you need to cover.

For AS there's also an applied module you have to do, normally Stats 1 or Mechanics 1 but occasionally Decision 1. Stats 1 is fairly easy, the first half is a recap of GCSE and there's nothing too difficult after that. There's a lot of tedious formula use though. Mechanics 1 (which I have yet to self teach) looks a damn sight more interesting, but also a bit more difficult. Decision 1 is apparently very easy, but also very boring. Unis don't look too highly on it.

A2 is a whole different ball game. Suffice to say that trig identities get harder, the differentiation goes up a notch, but there's also some light relief in graph sketching, numerical methods (read - bashing numbers into a calculator for ten minutes) and vectors in 3D.

How did AQA abuse the matrices? I thought they were reasonable questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup they were nice questions but it was the fact that I've never really seen that many questions on them across both papers (Paper 1 was reasonable with the expanding) but Paper 2 had the expanding of the given matrix when it was cubed which had a lot of working out and then more questions on OABC.

I've never really liked matrices though, I understand them but I just find them a pain.

ReputationRep:
    Yup I've been trying to focus but I just can't get the momentum to get the work done. I'm just constantly refracting away from P7 - however, it is really interesting though. In the CGP book, you can more or less ignore the second to last page as it's common sense, similarly with the E.T life section I find.

I love science jokes.
    I suppose physics lens itself to this kind of wordplay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup they were nice questions but it was the fact that I've never really seen that many questions on them across both papers (Paper 1 was reasonable with the expanding) but Paper 2 had the expanding of the given matrix when it was cubed which had a lot of working out and then more questions on OABC.

I've never really liked matrices though, I understand them but I just find them a pain.
    Unless you do a Further maths! you need never see them again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I love science jokes.
    At least you have potential energy to put the work in! I just can't get into the flow because I dislike the topic so much! Me and P7 just seem to repel. Hopefully we both overcome our mental resistance and we do well in the exam!

Me too :cool:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.