Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    This is sarcasm, yes. I'm not claiming that you couldn't have received the offer, but to me it seems extremely unlikely. Especially considering that IR is THE most competitive course at LSE, one of the most competitive universities in the world. If you really did - then this is simply amazing and you must have written one killer personal statement.
    http://prntscr.com/5xs3ve
    ^ there is it lmao. I got all 5 offers I can upload my personal statement if you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    This is sarcasm, yes. I'm not claiming that you couldn't have received the offer, but to me it seems extremely unlikely. Especially considering that IR is THE most competitive course at LSE, one of the most competitive universities in the world. If you really did - then this is simply amazing and you must have written one killer personal statement.
    I've received all 5 of my offers actually. Yeah, I can send you a copy of my PS if you want. It's great
    I hope the attachment works, uh, I tried to paste a prntscrn link but it's pending.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    Lol at "the most competitive course"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daltohn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, surely that would be Economics, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gohohome)
    I've received all 5 of my offers actually. Yeah, I can send you a copy of my PS if you want. It's great
    I hope the attachment works, uh, I tried to paste a prntscrn link but it's pending.
    I still can't know for sure that your grades are really ABCD, but I doubt that anybody would on purpose downgrade their grades. Wow. It is really impressive to be honest! Yes, I would love to have a look at your statement if that's alright with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gohohome)
    Yeah, surely that would be Economics, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    BSc Economics
    Applications 2013: 2,747
    First year students 2013: 211

BSc International Relations
    Applications 2013: 1022
    First year students 2013: 63

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    BSc Economics

well I see what you're saying but nahhhhhhh, econ all the way #420 #econlyfe #360RoadPricingNoScope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    well I see what you're saying but nahhhhhhh, econ all the way #420 #econlyfe #360RoadPricingNoScope
    ok lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    ok lol
    lol, the stats don't lie in fairness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    #LSEeconOrDyeTryin' #keepit3hunna #TheGoldmanSachs #MC=MR

ReputationRep:
    Haha yes Econ is obviously more competitive, the applicant pool is by far the strongest so percentages are irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    #MC=MR lmfao, dead

ReputationRep:
    Social Anthropology at LSE is more competitive than Cambridge Medicine by your logic lol, everyone knows Econ is the elite

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Social Anthropology at LSE is more competitive than Cambridge Medicine by your logic lol, everyone knows Econ is the elite

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not my logic. LSE Social Anthropology and Cambridge Medicine have absolutely different admission processes so you can't compare them like that without adjusting for it, if you didn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    That's not my logic. LSE Social Anthropology and Cambridge Medicine have absolutely different admission processes so you can't compare them like that without adjusting for it, if you didn't know.
    Why would that matter? Then you have to think that one of them is flawed, because both lead to acceptance or rejection. Explain why it's justified to say that IR is more competitive than Econ solely based on acceptance rate, but not that IR at LSE is more competitive than e.g. Yale and MIT (unless that is your opinion).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would that matter? Then you have to think that one of them is flawed, because both lead to acceptance or rejection. Explain why it's justified to say that IR is more competitive than Econ solely based on acceptance rate, but not that IR at LSE is more competitive than e.g. Yale and MIT (unless that is your opinion) .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because acceptance rate is the only data we have an access to, so making a judgement based on that is the only possible way to reach a conclusion without speculation.

Yale and Harvard have an absolutely different admission system and overall criteria, don't you get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    BSc Economics

First of all those stats are deceiving. They don't say how many offers were made but only how many people actually firmed and met their offers. So if that was your argument you might wanna factor applicants to offers ratio rather than applicants to acceptance.

And even if we did factor those in it doesn't give a fair reflection. For example, what's going to be harder breaking in a course with 5 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get A*A*A* or where there's 2 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get AAB? Ceteris Paribus. What matters is the quality of the competition not the amount, and I agree with Daltohn under this straight Econ wins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    Because acceptance rate is the only data we have an access to, so making a judgement based on that is the only possible way to reach a conclusion without speculation.

Yale and Harvard have an absolutely different admission system and overall criteria, don't you get it?
    I think few would disagree that Econ applicants are stronger in general, self-selection occurs when the best students apply to the most prestigious courses. You're the only one that needs data to see that. Instead you completely disregard the relative strength of the applicant pools.

So you can't say it's more difficult to get to play for Man United or Chelsea than your local sunday league team because the recruiting system is different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBowcat)
    Lololol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    First of all those stats are deceiving. They don't say how many offers were made but only how many people actually firmed and met their offers. So if that was your argument you might wanna factor applicants to offers ratio rather than applicants to acceptance.

And even if we did factor those in it doesn't give a fair reflection. What's going to be harder breaking in a course with 5 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get A*A*A* or where there's 2 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get AAB? Ceteris Paribus. What matters is the quality of the competition not the amount, and I agree with Daltohn under this straight Econ wins.
    I agree with your first point. But I don't think that it matters. We can only assume that they give an equal amount of offers to both Economics and IR applicants. At least I don't see any reason to think otherwise.

Where is the evidence that IR applicants are of such significantly lower standard than the Economics ones? In fact, if we look at the entry standards for Politics at LSE in 2015, it says 545 tariff points. For Economics it is 576. That's quite an insignificant difference. Furthermore, IR applicants usually have way more impressive ECs than economists. Apart from grades that also determines the quality of the applicant. So I wouldn't downgrade IR only because "everybody knows Econ is the elite" as Daltohn was so kind to point out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.