Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ1906)
    Hi guys
    Any advice for a first year Economics student to make the most of uni in terms of applying for Spring Week or just things to do to impress employers? Would be very grateful
    We are all 1st years here. Spring weeks apps are coming to an end, I would suggest you get going/preparing for / with Summer weeks as most places will have already started interviewing, filling up their positions for the Spring by now. Think most of us have prepared for over half a year for this time!

I would say, start writing down how will you approach employers through your CL, pimping out your CV and networking, finding out which division is right for you and all before the summer.

Some places such as GS are still worth applying to though as they are not rolling. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if if get rejected from BMAL for spring will i still be able to apply for the summer insight? or is it one application per year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidMonk)
    anyone know if if get rejected from BMAL for spring will i still be able to apply for the summer insight? or is it one application per year?
    of course you can its not like you will be black listed! if u got rejected now, it is because maybe there was something lacking, but from here to the time the SW rolling begins, u could have gained more knowledge. so i would say of course you can! & sorry to hear !!

PS, were u interviewed?

ReputationRep:
    Telephone interview for Morgan Stanley, I have no idea what to expect, but I'm excited

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    any more news today from JP morgan for anyone? who else has applied IBD and Risks? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calculon13)
    I agree with your point - I'm not too sure how they arrived at their conclusion. I think maybe some of their candidates who scored in the highest percentile performed badly. I just don't know who they would compare it with assuming they used a similar benchmark to the one you estimated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    GS don't use tests because they're more interested in you as a person, your personality etc. and believe that considering you've already been tested to death (remember those GCSE, A Level and Uni exams?) that they are good enough guidance of your abilities - they think meeting you and interviews are better indicators of fit/performance. They trust their own judgement more when hiring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    GS don't use tests because they're more interested in you as a person, your personality etc. and believe that considering you've already been tested to death (remember those GCSE, A Level and Uni exams?) that they are good enough guidance of your abilities - they think meeting you and interviews are better indicators of fit/performance. They trust their own judgement more when hiring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course they're not wrong, the issue is, how do you then select who to interview from the thousands of applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was simply regurgitating what a HR rep said at a STEM students event last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Of course they're not wrong, the issue is, how do you then select who to interview from the thousands of applicants?
    Maybe they interview quite a lot? Valid point though.

ReputationRep:
    Cv and 300 word cover letter? I've head they use a software that filters people out of they don't use certain words in their cover letter but can't attest to the veracity of that

I think they probably do interview quite a lot, especially at spring level; they take way more than other banks and they only have one 30 min interview.
    Compared to DB who interview 50-60. GS probably interview 500-600, maybe more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aenigma)
    Cv and 300 word cover letter? I think they probably do interview quite a lot, especially at spring level; they take way more than other banks and they only have one 30 min interview.
    Compared to DB who interview 50-60. GS probably interview 500-600, maybe more

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the only way their method works is if they actually interview considerably more people. Do you know which 'words' apparently you need to have included in the cover letter to not get filtered?

ReputationRep:
    I think the only way their method works is if they actually interview considerably more people. Do you know which 'words' apparently you need to have included in the cover letter to not get filtered?
    Nope, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any info on which Banks offer Summer Insight Weeks? Aside from Bank of America? Thanks very much :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bpt1206)
    Does anybody have any info on which Banks offer Summer Insight Weeks? Aside from Bank of America? Thanks very much :-)
    RBS, I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been invited to schedule an AC for HSBC's First Year Summer Internship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcoburn)
    CS offer baby. is there anywhere we can find the dates for spring weeks of other banks? i have to choose which week over easter to do CS
    I considered this for CS too, I picked 23rd of March so it wouldn't clash with DB, also for you I think consider that most banks will schedule their SWs in the week commencing 13th April e.g. GS, JP, Citi, UBS, BAML

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blix2)
    We are all 1st years here. Spring weeks apps are coming to an end, I would suggest you get going/preparing for / with Summer weeks as most places will have already started interviewing, filling up their positions for the Spring by now. Think most of us have prepared for over half a year for this time!

I would say, start writing down how will you approach employers through your CL, pimping out your CV and networking, finding out which division is right for you and all before the summer.

Some places such as GS are still worth applying to though as they are not rolling. Good luck
    Sorry, what do you mean by CL?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econ1906)
    Sorry, what do you mean by CL?
    Cover Letter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limpan142)
    Has anyone been invited to schedule an AC for HSBC's First Year Summer Internship?

Yep. I have done it. There were 5 of us. We all got rejected. They are running one today or tomorrow as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackR7821)
    Yep. I have done it. There were 5 of us. We all got rejected. They are running one today or tomorrow as well.
    What did you do during the AC?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.