Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Does anyone know how quickly we become official members of the college? The thing is, apple give a students discount, but one has to be registered with the University for it first. Should I just give up the discount? It's 15%... ;(
    You will be able to authorise Unidays as soon as you get your cam email and can access intranets etc

I believe this is after results day, latest freshers week
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    You will be able to authorise Unidays as soon as you get your cam email and can access intranets etc

What about deferred students? When do they get a Cam email?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)

Thank-you It's very annoying that I can't just get it now. Ah, well.

(Original post by jneill)
    If you google you can find ways of getting student discounts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there another way of getting a similar discount?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thank-you It's very annoying that I can't just get it now. Ah, well.

Is there another way of getting a similar discount?
    You have pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    considering applying. Did you all get 95% UMS+ ? If you could tell me what you applied for and your UMS it would really demystify the process, having real life examples. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Blue Machine)
    considering applying. Did you all get 95% UMS+ ? If you could tell me what you applied for and your UMS it would really demystify the process, having real life examples. Thanks
    Medicine, 92% avg, wasn't pooled. The 95% + thing is a myth, as long as it's 85% + it shouldn't really be a problem assuming there are other good bits to your application

ReputationRep:
    Giving an indication on whether you are an Arts/Science student will help.

Generally I find, Arts students can get away with 85%+ UMS. If you have extenuating circumstances however you could get in with possibly lower than that. What's really important is getting across your dedication/passion for your subject. At times, your degree could get quite tedious, the workload may get incredibly intense and your morale may decrease rapidly. So showing a genuine interest at the interview will help with your chances.

I suppose the same applies for the sciences except I imagine UMS demands are higher.

ReputationRep:
    There's actually a 2016 applicants thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3370493
    What're you applying for? I applied for physical natural sciences having either an 88% or 89% average ( still not sure how it's calculated), which is considered low. I think individual cases are less likely to demystify the process than knowing that, generally, offer holders have anything between 85%-100% in a normal-ish distribution.
    If you fall within this range (excluding extenuating cirumstances), then apply. Simples

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how quickly we become official members of the college? The thing is, apple give a students discount, but one has to be registered with the University for it first. Should I just give up the discount? It's 15%... ;(
    You can set up a web account before you arrive. Theres also an apple store so you could perhaps do it on the first day if the discount is available in store

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    tomfailinghelp you might like this [nothing to do with apple discounts...]:

Philosophy sessions 'boost primary school results'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33464258

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    You can set up a web account before you arrive. Theres also an apple store so you could perhaps do it on the first day if the discount is available in store

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The discount is available in store, I bought my MacBook there and all they wanted was to see my CUSU ID.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Medicine, 92% avg, wasn't pooled. The 95% + thing is a myth, as long as it's 85% + it shouldn't really be a problem assuming there are other good bits to your application

Congratulations my parents really want me to do medicne, but I prefer english. When you say other good bits, do you mean extra curriculars? Are these taken into account?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations my parents really want me to do medicne, but I prefer english. When you say other good bits, do you mean extra curriculars? Are these taken into account?
    Thanks No not really. For me one of the key factors was that I did very well on the BMAT (Medicine Admissions Test) which definitely helped. Having said that, I did some further reading which formed quite a large part of my interview so that would probably be helpful, I'm not sure how useful that'd be for English though. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aworldalone)
    Giving an indication on whether you are an Arts/Science student will help.

Generally I find, Arts students can get away with 85%+ UMS. If you have extenuating circumstances however you could get in with possibly lower than that. What's really important is getting across your dedication/passion for your subject. At times, your degree could get quite tedious, the workload may get incredibly intense and your morale may decrease rapidly. So showing a genuine interest at the interview will help with your chances.

I suppose the same applies for the sciences except I imagine UMS demands are higher.
    I want to do english, so a competitive arts subject. I do have extenuating circumstances, so I only did 2 AS Levels ( English, RE) this year. Next year, I'll do 2/3 more AS levels( History, chemistry, Biology) and finish of 2A2s( English, RE). Therefore I'll apply with 2A2s and 3AS levels, Would they look at my A2 UMS marks too? Why do you need higher UMS for science ? Yes, I imagine it's hard work ! But I know out of any degree, english would be my first choice, I love analysing literature. Thanks
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I want to do english, so a competitive arts subject. I do have extenuating circumstances, so I only did 2 AS Levels ( English, RE) this year. Next year, I'll do 2/3 more AS levels( History, chemistry, Biology) and finish of 2A2s( English, RE). Therefore I'll apply with 2A2s and 3AS levels, Would they look at my A2 UMS marks too? Why do you need higher UMS for science ? Yes, I imagine it's hard work ! But I know out of any degree, english would be my first choice, I love analysing literature. Thanks
    They look at all the UMS of any completed units. AS and A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    tomfailinghelp you might like this [nothing to do with apple discounts...]:

Philosophy sessions 'boost primary school results'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33464258
    I saw! Unfortunately, they mean 'Philosophy' rather than Philosophy, and in any case the correlation seems unlikely to be related to the specific topics since it also purportedly improves handwriting skills to a similar degree.

ReputationRep:
    Update:

There were some very very strange discrepancies on my results breakdown:

French - I got a 7 in my written assignment (externally marked coursework) and then a 3 in my written exam :/
    English - 19/20 on Paper 1 and then 17/25 in Paper 2 the day after
    Physics - Level 6s across the board and then a 4 in Paper 2
    Maths - I got different levels in each paper, but the same scaled mark (UMS)

Also, all of my coursework was moderated down by 2-4 marks (when out of 25, this can make a significant difference)

Whilst my careers advisor initially seemed dubious about the likelihood of me meeting my offer, she is now far more hopeful (I don't think she'd give me false hope). She says it seems as though I've been hit with the worst bad luck. My dad had to fork out £410 for remarks and script returns and the waiting game for them is increasingly frustrating.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Whilst my careers advisor initially seemed dubious about the likelihood of me meeting my offer, she is now far more hopeful (I don't think she'd give me false hope). She says it seems as though I've been hit with the worst bad luck. My dad had to fork out £410 for remarks and script returns and the waiting game for them is increasingly frustrating.
    My god... I hope you get marked up! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    Update:

There were some very very strange discrepancies on my results breakdown:

French - I got a 7 in my written assignment (externally marked coursework) and then a 3 in my written exam :/
    English - 19/20 on Paper 1 and then 17/25 in Paper 2 the day after
    Physics - Level 6s across the board and then a 4 in Paper 2
    Maths - I got different levels in each paper, but the same scaled mark (UMS)

Also, all of my coursework was moderated down by 2-4 marks (when out of 25, this can make a significant difference)

I hope there's a reimbursement for remarks if they go up...

French looks like it's guaranteed to go up
    That 4 in physics

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    My god... I hope you get marked up! Good luck!
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I hope there's a reimbursement for remarks if they go up...

French looks like it's guaranteed to go up
    That 4 in physics

Best of luck
    I've spoken to all my teachers individually and they're all pretty confident at this point. I'd never gotten anything below 21/25 in that English paper when we'd done it under timed conditions in class or as homework either.

Physics was always going to be the death of me lol, but Paper 1 and Paper 2 are on the same content, so no one understands why there's such a large disparity :hide:

Thanks, for the much needed luck! :jumphug: :jumphug:

My exams officer thinks there's a reimbursement, but has not officially confirmed it. All I keep thinking is: imagine if this happened to someone who is unable to pay that kind of money for remarks etc. It could cost them their future.. if this is a mistake (and let's hope it is), it's appalling that this can happen.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.