Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    best part about being a mathmo is that your PS takes 20 minutes to write and nobody even bothers reading it

ReputationRep:
    best part about being a mathmo is that your PS takes 20 minutes to write and nobody even bothers reading it
    How has your summer been so far? Excited for results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    How has your summer been so far? Excited for results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lots of no maths. Had surgery. Chilled on the island. Currently engrossed with No Man's Sky. Not really thought about results day. I presume you've been productive as usual?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of no maths. Had surgery. Chilled on the island. Currently engrossed with No Man's Sky. Not really thought about results day. I presume you've been productive as usual?
    You had a surgery! What happened?

Yeah, I've been working through Beardon's textbook and hoping to finish it by beginning of September so I can get some example sheet/past paper going.

I hope you get all the grades that you want and need for Cambridge on results day. If I do meet my offer, I will probably write a big appreciation post of how much help you've given me in STEP ever since January (whoah, it was like 7 months, been a long journey). I presume you will be on TSR on Thursday? I am not sure when you get your results in Mauritius.

Either way, thanks for everything and I hope I hear some great news from you when you get your results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    You had a surgery! What happened?

Yeah, I've been working through Beardon's textbook and hoping to finish it by beginning of September so I can get some example sheet/past paper going.

I hope you get all the grades that you want and need for Cambridge on results day. If I do meet my offer, I will probably write a big appreciation post of how much help you've given me in STEP ever since January (whoah, it was like 7 months, been a long journey). I presume you will be on TSR on Thursday? I am not sure when you get your results in Mauritius.

Either way, thanks for everything and I hope I hear some great news from you when you get your results.
    Nothing drastic, had to get my wisdom teeth removed.

Damn, the usual for you then. You should find a week and give yourself a week off, just for some good 'ol relaxation, you won't get a free holiday like this ever again.

Thanks! I'm sure you've met your offer from the way your paper went. I'll be sure to congratulate you on Thursday. And yeah, I'll be getting my STEP results online on Thursday along with the rest of you, although my A-Level results take a day longer for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    To me this seems like one of those cases where the applicant is bright but isn't actually good enough to focus all their effort on one subject to get really good at it so just spends lots of time padding it out with random A levels. I mean it reminds me of those occasional stories of 12 year olds who do a gcse or a level and then people jump to the conclusion that they are much better than most other A level candidates whereas they are just ahead compared to the average 14 year old for instance. Not to say 5 good A levels isn't impressive, just that the Guardian probably doesn't understand the difference between that and having 4 A levels and 3 STEP grades like the average maths applicant
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Can't sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    To me this seems like one of those cases where the applicant is bright but isn't actually good enough to focus all their effort on one subject to get really good at it so just spends lots of time padding it out with random A levels. I mean it reminds me of those occasional stories of 12 year olds who do a gcse or a level and then people jump to the conclusion that they are much better than most other A level candidates whereas they are just ahead compared to the average 14 year old for instance. Not to say 5 good A levels isn't impressive, just that the Guardian probably doesn't understand the difference between that and having 4 A levels and 3 STEP grades like the average maths applicant
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    For III aswell? I think III will be lower and I and II will be higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm I'd think III would be lower too. It's not much if a metric I suppose, but this year's III did seem harder than the III past papers I'd solved to me at least

I actually spent a lot of time on my PS, I was quite hurt that it wasn't (seemingly) read.

(Original post by Mathemagicien)
    I actually spent a lot of time on my PS, I was quite hurt that it wasn't (seemingly) read.
    They probably did glance over it before your interviews

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    They probably did glance over it before your interviews
    Maybe, but not thoroughly. Some of my answers to interview questions clearly surprised them, even though I had answered them in the Personal Statement.

I'm not complaining, I'm sure they had a lot of paperwork, and PSes for maths are useless; but it did surprise me.

ReputationRep:
    How's No Man's Sky? I've been thinking of buying it

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that for sciences Personal Statements are more important?
    Like come on, why wouldn't you read it!

(Original post by BioOx)
    Maybe at least for biology; I imagine that there are work experience things you can include.

I imagine they are drowning in paperwork around the interview period

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioOx)
    In my first NatSci interview they asked a question on an experiment I mentioned on my ps. Then in second interview a DoS said at the beginning "we've read your personal statement and I can see very much where you're coming from " or something like that. We had some spare time at the end so the DoS asked about my work experience... Idk I don't think they counted towards too much but at least it gave me something to show my interest in the interview...

ReputationRep:
    In my interviews at Fitzwilliam I was actually asked about my Personal statement and they asked me to go through the proofs of Eulers Basel Problem(mentioned it in PS explaining how he proof was done) lol.
    Thank god i knew it and understood it otherwise I would've been screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe at least for biology; I imagine that there are work experience things you can include.

I imagine they are drowning in paperwork around the interview period
    There are colleges that have like 5-6 applicants per course.I would be freaking surprised if they did not red their PS. I totally understand for Maths since some colleges have up to 70 applicants and you would have to talk only about competitions and etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    How's No Man's Sky? I've been thinking of buying it
    It's epiiiiic!! I've logged at least 6 hours over the past two days on it, it's not perfectly optimised and I needed to trade some graphics settings for playability, but that's to be expected on a laptop and a newly released game. Otherwise, the actual game is great, but not worth the $60... (I didn't buy it, I went the... other route).

How efficient is Cambridge at confirming offers on Track on results day? Are they usually quite slow, or can we except to know from 8am?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.