Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Have any of you actually seen Jovetic play? He has 14 goals this season so I'm not entirely convinced. We need a lethal finisher, someone who will guarantee 20+ goals a season. So in that regard I would take Higuain over him.
    :yep: Jovetic is very technically talented and I think he'd fit in here very well indeed. People have been talking about Giroud struggling to adapt to the league, and as with pretty much all new signings there have been comments about adapting to the physicality of the Prem; clearly, though, that's not really the issue with Giroud. The comparisons with Drogba and his first couple of seasons here have been drawn upon again and again by his supporters - but I think they're relevant: Drogba was, like Giroud, criticized for looking awkward on the ball in his initial season - but he did adapt very well, and it wasn't really a matter of pure technicality; he adapted to the pace of the league, and that's what Giroud's struggling to do at the moment (I talked about Carroll to Liverpool and Lukaku at Chelsea and West Brom a couple of weeks ago; I think it's the same principle, moving from a smaller team to a bigger one. For the record, I think Podolski's facing the same difficulty). When we were talking about Benteke earlier, I noted the difference in how much and quickly Benteke was closed down by opposition when playing for Villa and how much Giroud was closed down playing for Arsenal - and, centrally, how much he was used to being closed down at Montpellier; this is the main issue a player like Giroud, who doesn't rely too much on technicality in his game, has, I think. That's the reason I was hesitant about Benteke, that's the reason I was hesitant about Huntelaar - and that's the reason I think Jovetic would adapt quickly to the Prem.

Regarding his goal-tally - he doesn't play as a goalscorer for Fiorentina, no, and he probably won't play so much as a goalscorer as a creative striker for us. I doubt he's going to add a great number of goals to our game. But firstly, the number of goals we're scoring currently is hardly bad; what we've been missing isn't quantity in goals, but quality in attacking play, and I feel Jovetic would certainly add to that. Higuain - I'm not so sure. He's not quite like Giroud, he's more mobile and he's more dangerous from more positions, but he does rely on the creativity of others, and particularly from wide positions. He'd have been fantastic at Arsenal until a couple of seasons ago, when we had the likes of Hleb and later Nasri playing out wide. The sort of wide players we have now, though, are of a very different mould and, particularly with pace and directness, offer a very different sort of threat - which I think would be best unleashed by having someone like Jovetic playing a proper trequartista role. The way I see it: if the plan with Higuain goes very well, we're looking at him getting 25-30 goals but Podolski and Walcott, further isolated on the wings, getting less than this season; if the plan with Jovetic goes well, we're potentially looking at 15-20 goals from all of our front three. Higuain might potentially work, but we'd need to change our wingers again, which would raise questions about the likes of Chamberlain, not to mention Walcott and Podolski who are only in the first year of lucrative four-year deals.

Also, while I don't expect Jovetic to score a bucketload of goals, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did. I think he's pretty similar in his attributes to van Persie - and I wouldn't have predicted the latter to get 25-30 goals a season until recently either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Well looks like Walcott isn't gonna get his ridiculous wish to play down the middle
    Hardly a ridiculous wish. If anything, it's that desire to be a goalscorer that has seen him bang in the goals. Definitely had a good season - good on him and may he continue to improve. Not gonna lie, but when you watch each of his goals, 8/10 are sweet finishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Well looks like Walcott isn't gonna get his ridiculous wish to play down the middle
    I don't know why it's a ridiculous wish. He's a good striker. I'd like to see him play from the left. I remember him playing there against Blackburn a few years back and he was man of the match. Chamberlain on the right with Cazorla behind a new striker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliearlie)
    I don't know why it's a ridiculous wish. He's a good striker. I'd like to see him play from the left. I remember him playing there against Blackburn a few years back and he was man of the match. Chamberlain on the right with Cazorla behind a new striker.
    what makes theo think that wenger cant find a better center forward than him for 15-20mill?

hes a good wide man but as a front man you cant compare to the players were linked with like higuain etc

ReputationRep:
    Now that Pulis is gone, I hope Stoke gets relegated. What they did to Ramsey is unforgivable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    :yep: Jovetic is very technically talented and I think he'd fit in here very well indeed. People have been talking about Giroud struggling to adapt to the league, and as with pretty much all new signings there have been comments about adapting to the physicality of the Prem; clearly, though, that's not really the issue with Giroud. The comparisons with Drogba and his first couple of seasons here have been drawn upon again and again by his supporters - but I think they're relevant: Drogba was, like Giroud, criticized for looking awkward on the ball in his initial season - but he did adapt very well, and it wasn't really a matter of pure technicality; he adapted to the pace of the league, and that's what Giroud's struggling to do at the moment (I talked about Carroll to Liverpool and Lukaku at Chelsea and West Brom a couple of weeks ago; I think it's the same principle, moving from a smaller team to a bigger one. For the record, I think Podolski's facing the same difficulty). When we were talking about Benteke earlier, I noted the difference in how much and quickly Benteke was closed down by opposition when playing for Villa and how much Giroud was closed down playing for Arsenal - and, centrally, how much he was used to being closed down at Montpellier; this is the main issue a player like Giroud, who doesn't rely too much on technicality in his game, has, I think. That's the reason I was hesitant about Benteke, that's the reason I was hesitant about Huntelaar - and that's the reason I think Jovetic would adapt quickly to the Prem.

Regarding his goal-tally - he doesn't play as a goalscorer for Fiorentina, no, and he probably won't play so much as a goalscorer as a creative striker for us. I doubt he's going to add a great number of goals to our game. But firstly, the number of goals we're scoring currently is hardly bad; what we've been missing isn't quantity in goals, but quality in attacking play, and I feel Jovetic would certainly add to that. Higuain - I'm not so sure. He's not quite like Giroud, he's more mobile and he's more dangerous from more positions, but he does rely on the creativity of others, and particularly from wide positions. He'd have been fantastic at Arsenal until a couple of seasons ago, when we had the likes of Hleb and later Nasri playing out wide. The sort of wide players we have now, though, are of a very different mould and, particularly with pace and directness, offer a very different sort of threat - which I think would be best unleashed by having someone like Jovetic playing a proper trequartista role. The way I see it: if the plan with Higuain goes very well, we're looking at him getting 25-30 goals but Podolski and Walcott, further isolated on the wings, getting less than this season; if the plan with Jovetic goes well, we're potentially looking at 15-20 goals from all of our front three. Higuain might potentially work, but we'd need to change our wingers again, which would raise questions about the likes of Chamberlain, not to mention Walcott and Podolski who are only in the first year of lucrative four-year deals.

Also, while I don't expect Jovetic to score a bucketload of goals, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did. I think he's pretty similar in his attributes to van Persie - and I wouldn't have predicted the latter to get 25-30 goals a season until recently either.
    :ditto:

30million is a BIG ask though maybe if we could get him for 20-25million I'd be happy.

(Original post by kidomo)
    :ditto:

30million is a BIG ask though maybe if we could get him for 20-25million I'd be happy.
    I'll admit 30 mil is rather more than what I had in mind. :sadnod: Hopefully we can haggle it down to 25-27 mil euros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)

Great post. I guess it's a good thing that we're less reliant on one player like in 2011/12 where if you shut down RVP, you shut down Arsenal. Without divulging to much into stats, Podokski, Walcott, Giroud and Cazorla have all chipped in with a good amount of goals and assists this season. Cazorla plays in Jovetic' best position so that's why I'm not sure about the signing. He could be used from the left but where does that leave Podolski? A player I think will flourish next season. Out of all our signings I think he has had the most diffuculty adjusting to the PL because he isn't the most athletic of players.

I agree with most of your post, especially your points on Giroud. He has 17 goals and 11 assists this season and that is a decent return for a first season. I wouldn't want to compare him to Drogba because of what he achieved in English football and I do not believe that Giroud is capable of reaching the 30 goals a season like what RVP and Drogba have done. Would love to be proved wrong though. In regards to his style of play, he has really good movement and good link-up play, was very much the focal point of our attack this season, just his finishing has been poor. But it's not like that can't be improved, so I see no reason why he can't reach 20 goals next season. Again, if we sign Jovetic that drops Giroud to the bench which is not the Wenger way of doing things.

I think Walcott is such an important player for us now tbh, he scored 22 goals and 17 assists, that is a phenomenal return for a winger, and even though he has been missing at points of the season, I think if we keeps up the consistency he is such a deadly weapon to have in the team with his pace and finishing ability. And of course Cazorla is just a beast and without him we would have struggled for creativity. if Jovetic does arrive I'm looking forward to the interplay between them and Wilshere :coma:

I guess if we do sign Jovetic over Higuain we will continue to have a a more collective ethos which is a good thing, I just find it hard to see where he'll play as I can only see him playing as our no.9 when that a place where he is not suited to. But who am I to judge, Wenger knows best. If he thinks Jovetic is worth £25m then I'll support him. This is a guy that unearthed RVP and Henry, he is more than capable of turning Jovetic into another gem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    ''Alright Jovetic, you'll be playing the Bergkamp role with Theo Walcott in the Henry role and Gervinho in the Pires role'' :lolwut:
    Loool I chuckled at this

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Currently watching the 2006 UEFA Champions League final on sky sports 3... All those feels coming back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Without watching Jovetic, you can't really make snap judgements like those about him can you? He plays excellently for Fiorentina week in, week out. I'd say he's worth the money we're paying and he'll offer a lot more than just goals. If we can sign him quickly, I'll be chuffed because our interest is as concrete as it was with Mata and we all know how that turned out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Currently watching the 2006 UEFA Champions League final on sky sports 3... All those feels coming back

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Saw a couple minutes of that this morning, ruined my day tbh

ReputationRep:
    Wenger never spends any money on players WENGER OUT

wait...we made a £25m bid for a player? WENGER THAT'S TOO MUCH STOP WASTING ALL OUR MONEY WENGER OUT FFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Wenger never spends any money on players WENGER OUT

wait...we made a £25m bid for a player? WENGER THAT'S TOO MUCH STOP WASTING ALL OUR MONEY WENGER OUT FFS
    Not complaining about him spending 25m, actually hope he spends the full 70m . But just wondering whether Jovetic is actually worth that amount. Wenger's a good judge of player so hopefully he pulls it off but for closer to 20m.

ReputationRep:
    Thing with giroud is that he scores a lot of headers, from what I saw of his final season at Montpelier he useto score a few finesse shots and volleys which he hasn't done in england. Thats the main reason why Im disappointed with because it seems unless someone puts it on a plate for him hes unlikely to score half chances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Not complaining about him spending 25m, actually hope he spends the full 70m . But just wondering whether Jovetic is actually worth that amount. Wenger's a good judge of player so hopefully he pulls it off but for closer to 20m.
    Yeah wasn't meant as a dig to anyone specifically. Yeah I trust Wengers judgement with transfers fully, even though there's been a few buys which haven't been world class (of the Jeffers, Squllaci calibre), i know that 9 times out of 10 if Wenger buys a player then he must be good. Look at Koscielny, doubt any other PL manager even knew who he was when Wenger bought him.

Wenger's a great haggler too - I know Malaga are in the **** financially but still, to buy Cazorla for only £12m is incredible. So it wouldn't surprise me if he did get Jovetic's price tag to 20m (that is, even if the rumours that we've bid for him are true). I know for many games this season there's been somewhat difficulities in the midfield linking up with the attack, and imo even when we've had control of a game stats and possession wise, if a team sits back against us it is very hard for our midfield and attack to combine together effectively do do anything about it. So if Jovetic is seen by Wenger as the missing link then to me that's worth £25m. Sure, some people would rather Higuain but think about it - he's at Real, one of the best teams in the world and has world class players in midfield supplying him with goalscoring opportunities, in that position you're always going to score goals, aren't you? Not taking anything away from him obviously, whenever I've watched Real this season I remember he's looked good, but considering Jovetic got 13 goals and 11 assists or something similar for Fiorentina and wasn't even the main striker that's just as impressive. He was pretty much their key player this season, and I know it's trendy to bash Serie A but considering they came an inch away from CL qualification, it shows you good signs about him.

Anyway...transfer window isn't even open yet, and the football season only finished a matter of days ago! Going to have to stay away from too many football rumours or it'll drive me mad this summer...

ReputationRep:
    Can see us missing out Jovetic if we're only going as high as 20-22million for him. Looks like Arsene hasnt learned his past lessons at all! SPEND SOME FREAKIN' MONEY ARSENE!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=eh13;42749782]Can see us missing out Jovetic if we're only going as high as 20-22million for him. Looks like Arsene hasnt learned his past lessons at all! SPEND SOME FREAKIN' MONEY ARSENE!!!!

Spending more than 30 million on jovetic wouldn't be worth it tbh

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=goofymark13;42749946]
    (Original post by eh13)
    Can see us missing out Jovetic if we're only going as high as 20-22million for him. Looks like Arsene hasnt learned his past lessons at all! SPEND SOME FREAKIN' MONEY ARSENE!!!!

Spending more than 30 million on jovetic wouldn't be worth it tbh
    Id go to the 27-28 million pounds that his release clause is at

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eh13)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you dont want to over pay for a player, wenger might be apprehensive about spending big but thats because hes not stupid, look at what kenny dalglish did with andy carrol, downing, and henderson.

certainly would not go from 20mill to 30mill for jovetic

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.