Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ILovePancakes)
    I've spoken to all my teachers individually and they're all pretty confident at this point. I'd never gotten anything below 21/25 in that English paper when we'd done it under timed conditions in class or as homework either.

Physics was always going to be the death of me lol, but Paper 1 and Paper 2 are on the same content, so no one understands why there's such a large disparity :hide:

Thanks, for the much needed luck! :jumphug: :jumphug:

My exams officer thinks there's a reimbursement, but has not officially confirmed it. All I keep thinking is: imagine if this happened to someone who is unable to pay that kind of money for remarks etc. It could cost them their future.. if this is a mistake (and let's hope it is), it's appalling that this can happen.
    If GCSE & A-Level are remarked upwards you get the cost refunded. idk about IB but i'd have thought it would be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken to all my teachers individually and they're all pretty confident at this point. I'd never gotten anything below 21/25 in that English paper when we'd done it under timed conditions in class or as homework either.

Physics was always going to be the death of me lol, but Paper 1 and Paper 2 are on the same content, so no one understands why there's such a large disparity :hide:

Thanks, for the much needed luck! :jumphug: :jumphug:

My exams officer thinks there's a reimbursement, but has not officially confirmed it. All I keep thinking is: imagine if this happened to someone who is unable to pay that kind of money for remarks etc. It could cost them their future.. if this is a mistake (and let's hope it is), it's appalling that this can happen.
    That's awesome news though if there's a good chance of them going up, especially after you see the papers.

Yeah, at GCSE I didn't remark a few of my subjects because of the money, but they weren't bad results so I wasn't too bothered. But if it was AS/2 I'd have been gutted.

It's a shame it happens tbh, you'd think the fact they have a couple months would mean they have the time to ensure everything is thorough and properly done. Remarks shouldn't even have to be a thing

ReputationRep:
    After reading these comments I'm very surprised... I was under the impression all schools paid for remarks/scripts etc? Is it just mine? And do you guys have to pay the fee to sit your exams too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    After reading these comments I'm very surprised... I was under the impression all schools paid for remarks/scripts etc? Is it just mine? And do you guys have to pay the fee to sit your exams too?
    My school pays the exam entry fee, but not for resits i dont think and any remarks they wont pay for either - Im pretty sure thats the case with most state schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bafid)
    My school pays the exam entry fee, but not for resits i dont think and any remarks they wont pay for either - Im pretty sure thats the case with most state schools
    I was gonna say... that would be incredibly harsh if they didn't even pay for your exam sittings

ReputationRep:
    Mine pay for first sittings of exams. Not resits or remarks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Update:

There were some very very strange discrepancies on my results breakdown:

French - I got a 7 in my written assignment (externally marked coursework) and then a 3 in my written exam :/
    English - 19/20 on Paper 1 and then 17/25 in Paper 2 the day after
    Physics - Level 6s across the board and then a 4 in Paper 2
    Maths - I got different levels in each paper, but the same scaled mark (UMS)

Also, all of my coursework was moderated down by 2-4 marks (when out of 25, this can make a significant difference)

Whilst my careers advisor initially seemed dubious about the likelihood of me meeting my offer, she is now far more hopeful (I don't think she'd give me false hope). She says it seems as though I've been hit with the worst bad luck. My dad had to fork out £410 for remarks and script returns and the waiting game for them is increasingly frustrating.
    Good luck! Hope you go up!
    Had a 4 in Physics Paper 2 as well, but my results were odd as well. Maybe we got the same examiner and he was a rookie...
    Oh, and i believe you do get refunded if they change the grade. but i definitely agree, I'm only getting 1 remark, but I feel bad for people who need more and can't afford it...

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone's holiday going? Does anyone know if we get a reading list if we meet our offers? I have about a million things to read at the moment so I sort of hope not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    How's everyone's holiday going? Does anyone know if we get a reading list if we meet our offers? I have about a million things to read at the moment so I sort of hope not!
    I think you do. I think maths people get problem sheet so you guys probably get a reading list or somethibg of that kind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    I met my offer for law at Magdalene, but I received my college's own preliminary reading list about two weeks before my results (IB) came out. I didn't start reading anything until after results day though... didn't want to jinx it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShellySpielberg)
    Good luck! Hope you go up!
    Had a 4 in Physics Paper 2 as well, but my results were odd as well. Maybe we got the same examiner and he was a rookie...
    Oh, and i believe you do get refunded if they change the grade. but i definitely agree, I'm only getting 1 remark, but I feel bad for people who need more and can't afford it...
    Thank you, you too!

The whole grading seems to be really erratic.. but let's hope so and that we get what we need in the end :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    Desperately desperately desperately want to meet my offer arghhhgggggggh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculina)
    Desperately desperately desperately want to meet my offer arghhhgggggggh
    What subject/college and offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    What subject/college and offer?
    MML French and Italian ab initio at St Catz, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    MML French and Italian ab initio at St Catz, wbu?
    Aah les deux langues que j'aime beaucoup ! Dovrà parlare con mi (a Cambridge)

I'm Christ's NatSci

How are you feeling? Did your exams go to plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Aah les deux langues que j'aime beaucoup ! Dovrà parlare con mi (a Cambridge)

I'm Christ's NatSci

How are you feeling? Did your exams go to plan?
    Tout à fait !
    Oh cool! Bio or phys?
    I think they went well, but I do all essay subjects so it's impossible to tell... Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Tout à fait !
    Oh cool! Bio or phys?
    I think they went well, but I do all essay subjects so it's impossible to tell... Yourself?
    Physical, although just a technicality, and if I carry on with NatSci I'll be going into more biological.
    Was just easier to get in with physical :mmm:

Ah which a2s? I think mine went well thanks, bar one physics. But it should work out overall, I hope...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just got my letter from my college confirming my place. It says I have to send them the "Financial Notification" form confirming my EU-status. If I understood correctly you get this through Student Finance England, right? My problem is I don't want to apply for a loan. What am I supposed to send my college?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1www1)
    Hi, I just got my letter from my college confirming my place. It says I have to send them the "Financial Notification" form confirming my EU-status. If I understood correctly you get this through Student Finance England, right? My problem is I don't want to apply for a loan. What am I supposed to send my college?!
    You can apply for a loan of £0 through sfe. I think that's what they encourage eu citizens to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    You can apply for a loan of £0 through sfe. I think that's what they encourage eu citizens to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.