Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from Monckton after the first round invite last Thursday? They said they'd call and fix it for this week.

ReputationRep:
    I might also jump on this bandwagon re Nexus and Farringdon. Nexus is of particular concern as it looks like they intend to hold multiple rounds of interview going by their website yet there still seems to be radio silence...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2266permit)
    Anyone heard from 9-12?
    Not yet...

ReputationRep:
    More of the same. Has anybody heard from 2 Harcourt Buildings Chambers? I was told we'd hear by the 7th at the very latest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalLab)
    I might also jump on this bandwagon re Nexus and Farringdon. Nexus is of particular concern as it looks like they intend to hold multiple rounds of interview going by their website yet there still seems to be radio silence...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I haven't heard from Nexus but I wonder if since they are a non-gateway set they have decided to take their time in reviewing the applications. The deadline was before the PG deadline so I was hoping to have heard something by now! The waiting continues I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Fenners are abiding by the PG timeline or whether they will be interviewing later because of the change in closing date?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack this thread, although it is pupillage related. I've just had some bad news in the form of my BPTC results. I received a marginal fail in my Ethics (my Achilles heal) which means that, despite my other results, I will only be able to get a "Competent" overall - assuming I pass next time.

Most chambers will only look at applicants that have a VC or above "save for exceptional circumstances" so I would be reliant on my situation, in which I will have ended up with 4 Outstandings, 5 VC's, 3 C's and a weighted average of 77%, falling within said exceptional circumstances.

The alternative is that I repeat the BTPC from scratch in an attempt to improve my grade - is that just bonkers?

Any experiences from people (either first hand or friends) of friends who have tackled this process with a BPTC graded "Competent" would be gratefully received.

Thanks (feeling pretty bruised).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not Not Amused)
    Sorry to hijack this thread, although it is pupillage related. I've just had some bad news in the form of my BPTC results...
    Sorry to hear that you've fallen short. That's a strong average considering you'd be capped at "Competent".

Are you saying that you've been in "exceptional circumstances" (as in illness, family bereavement etc), or are you saying that you consider a high average to be exceptional circumstances? If the latter then I don't think that would count.

By all means keep trying for pupillage, but on a quick paper sift the phrase "Competent" might leap off the page and into the reject pile. I do think that re-sitting the BPTC, with no guarantee of pupillage, would be folly. You also risk being in the same situation again next time; because there's no guarantee you wouldn't do the same again, though I know you'd do everything in your power to avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack this thread, although it is pupillage related. I've just had some bad news in the form of my BPTC results. I received a marginal fail in my Ethics (my Achilles heal) which means that, despite my other results, I will only be able to get a "Competent" overall - assuming I pass next time.

Most chambers will only look at applicants that have a VC or above "save for exceptional circumstances" so I would be reliant on my situation, in which I will have ended up with 4 Outstandings, 5 VC's, 3 C's and a weighted average of 77%, falling within said exceptional circumstances.

The alternative is that I repeat the BTPC from scratch in an attempt to improve my grade - is that just bonkers?

Any experiences from people (either first hand or friends) of friends who have tackled this process with a BPTC graded "Competent" would be gratefully received.

I assume it is the same through all to providers however my understanding is that failing one exam exempts you from an outstanding; failing 2 exempts you from a VC (that certainly is the case at the university of law). Perhaps it's worth double checking?

ReputationRep:
    Barelylegalz is right. When I read the post I presumed you'd already failed one module previously. My understanding is one fail = capped at VC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthynines)
    Sorry to hear that you've fallen short. That's a strong average considering you'd be capped at "Competent".

Are you saying that you've been in "exceptional circumstances" (as in illness, family bereavement etc), or are you saying that you consider a high average to be exceptional circumstances? If the latter then I don't think that would count.

By all means keep trying for pupillage, but on a quick paper sift the phrase "Competent" might leap off the page and into the reject pile. I do think that re-sitting the BPTC, with no guarantee of pupillage, would be folly. You also risk being in the same situation again next time; because there's no guarantee you wouldn't do the same again, though I know you'd do everything in your power to avoid it.
    I know several people with a Competent who have gained pupillage, even with a 2:1 at undergrad. Just make sure when you put your grade on include the percentage, which should be enough if you are otherwise a strong candidate. At the end of the day, all the advice that anyone gives here or anywhere else should always be taken with a pinch of salt. This process is largely random, and if they like you enough they will give you leeway regardless of results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthynines)
    Barelylegalz is right. When I read the post I presumed you'd already failed one module previously. My understanding is one fail = capped at VC.
    Thanks for all your replies and sorry to single out one particular post but I couldn't seem to get the multi-quote feature to work.

Regarding the capping of grade, I did explore whether failing only 1 subject albeit twice could still get me a VC but the current BSB rules are quite specific that this still counts as 2 fails and so C is the best grade available. I also checked with my provider and the course director said that, although the wording used to be more ambiguous, it has always been that a failure of 2 sittings, regardless of same or different subjects, would always result in the overall capped at Competent - even in the days of the BVC, I'm sort of glad to have it verified so specifically as I can stop wasting time and energy pursuing that avenue.

It's good to know it isn't necessarily game over, the advice from my tutors this afternoon was along similar lines - maybe they're not the money grabbing institutions people sometimes portray them as or they would have wanted to bite my hand off to get another £20k out of me. Sorry, I forgot, this isn't legal cheek - people are actually nice here

ReputationRep:
    9-12 Bell Yard second round invites are out.

ReputationRep:
    Any news from Iscoed recently?

ReputationRep:
    Iscoed are supposed to be holding a meeting this evening.

ReputationRep:
    Anything from 30PP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshpupilmaybe)
    Anything from 30PP?

Nothing here

ReputationRep:

I think with one fail you can still get a VC

I know some people who have repeated the whole course, its expensive and time consuming!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies and sorry to single out one particular post but I couldn't seem to get the multi-quote feature to work.

Regarding the capping of grade, I did explore whether failing only 1 subject albeit twice could still get me a VC but the current BSB rules are quite specific that this still counts as 2 fails and so C is the best grade available. I also checked with my provider and the course director said that, although the wording used to be more ambiguous, it has always been that a failure of 2 sittings, regardless of same or different subjects, would always result in the overall capped at Competent - even in the days of the BVC, I'm sort of glad to have it verified so specifically as I can stop wasting time and energy pursuing that avenue.

It's good to know it isn't necessarily game over, the advice from my tutors this afternoon was along similar lines - maybe they're not the money grabbing institutions people sometimes portray them as or they would have wanted to bite my hand off to get another £20k out of me. Sorry, I forgot, this isn't legal cheek - people are actually nice here
    Personally, I would just emphasise your overall grades and explain the reasoning for you getting a Competent. There's a prevailing view that the BPTC is a farce and I think that's validated by the fact that a person who gets lower than 70% overall but has 8 VCs receives a higher award than someone who scores 77% overall. In any case, if you re-sat the BPTC, you'd be left with a one year gap that you'd have to explain. I'm sure you might be overlooked by some chambers but if you're going to spend £16,000+ you could probably do it more constructively than re-siting the BPTC.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up with a Competent (despite coming in at well over 70% overall) and while it's made it slightly more difficult, I've still managed to get interviews on the back of the rest of my form and scholarships etc. The interviews haven't gone to plan per se, but I got them. Which is good news.

Speaking of, has anyone had an interview time email from Charter Chambers yet? I know they said the week commencing 11th but just in case...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.