Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there really any logic in firming AND insuring with A*AA offers, though? Surely if you miss it you'll have to go into clearing or try a third year? I'm just thinking it's a little naive to assume that your insurance will DEFINITELY have spaces left for marginal candidates, and that insurers will come before firmers if it came to that.

I distinctly remember from a Bath econ talk being told that if you are firming Oxbridge/LSE, don't insure with Bath, because the grade offer is (roughly) the same, and if spare spaces are available for candidates who have fallen just short, firmers have the priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, just read the last few posts. Surely with clearing you're not going to be able to get onto anywhere near as good courses, though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    Is there really any logic in firming AND insuring with A*AA offers, though? Surely if you miss it you'll have to go into clearing or try a third year? I'm just thinking it's a little naive to assume that your insurance will DEFINITELY have spaces left for marginal candidates, and that insurers will come before firmers if it came to that.

I distinctly remember from a Bath econ talk being told that if you are firming Oxbridge/LSE, don't insure with Bath, because the grade offer is (roughly) the same, and if spare spaces are available for candidates who have fallen just short, firmers have the priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some unis specify the A* to be in a certain subject (Cambridge, LSE, UCL) whereas others may let you get the A* in anything, so you could still get into the insurance if you miss the firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Some unis specify the A* to be in a certain subject (Cambridge, LSE, UCL) whereas others may let you get the A* in anything, so you could still get into the insurance if you miss the firm.
    I understand that, that's why I said "roughly", I'm just wondering why it would make any sense if a candidate wasn't sure they'd get at least 1 A*.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I'm thinking of firming UCL but if I miss the A* in Maths but get it in say Physics, I will have met the insurance offer from say Warwick which doesn't specify the A* subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yllasjarvi)
    That's why I'm thinking of firming UCL but if I miss the A* in Maths but get it in say Physics, I will have met the insurance offer from say Warwick which doesn't specify the A* subject.
    Exactly, I'm in a similar position to you.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats, well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!
    How's things with you, university offers, firm/insurance choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SusanRose7)
    Thanks!
    How's things with you, university offers, firm/insurance choices?
    Fine thanks. Four offers, got my firm FIRST ^_^. Just waiting on the last offer to see if I can insure with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got my offer letter from Cambridge.
    A*A*A in 2 of Maths, Further Maths and Economics, B in Chemistry, 7.5 in IELTS with at least 7 in each element.
    A little bit demanding. Econ can be a hit and miss really, because of the essays (doing AQA) so aimimg to get A*A* in Maths and FM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    Got my offer letter from Cambridge.
    A*A*A in 2 of Maths, Further Maths and Economics, B in Chemistry, 7.5 in IELTS with at least 7 in each element.
    A little bit demanding. Econ can be a hit and miss really, because of the essays (doing AQA) so aimimg to get A*A* in Maths and FM.
    Finally! I guess you can have an A*AA as insurance now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally! . I guess you can have an A*AA as insurance now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In this case I will, I was really hoping for a nice A*AA offer.

ReputationRep:
    Fine thanks. Four offers, got my firm FIRST ^_^. Just waiting on the last offer to see if I can insure with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nottingham still haven't responded to me haha, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    Nottingham still haven't responded to me haha, how about you?
    They are deciding on Friday. I have been talking to their admissions tutor, I will get an offer, it just depends whether it is for L100 or L160 (Economics and International Economics BA/Bsc). Praying for it to be AAA or my negotiations have been fruitless - unless they do some sort of 'firm and we'll drop it by a grade' thingy, then I might actually do that - even though I prefer Bath :3.

I would feel like such a traitor, though. Hehe.

ReputationRep:
    They are deciding on Friday. I have been talking to their admissions tutor, I will get an offer, it just depends whether it is for L100 or L160 (Economics and International Economics BA/Bsc). Praying for it to be AAA or my negotiations have been fruitless - unless they do some sort of 'firm and we'll drop it by a grade' thingy, then I might actually do that - even though I prefer Bath :3.

I would feel like such a traitor, though. Hehe.
    ah ok, fair enough. haha what negotiations are these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    ah ok, fair enough. haha what negotiations are these?
    They emailed me telling me I was a marginal/maybe candidate for L100 and said that they'd definitely be able to give me an offer for another course in the school, just not definitely L100 its self.

ReputationRep:
    They emailed me telling me I was a marginal/maybe candidate for L100 and said that they'd definitely be able to give me an offer for another course in the school, just not definitely L100 its self.
    wow... which means i'm almost definitely getting rejected. FANTASTIC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    wow... which means i'm almost definitely getting rejected. FANTASTIC
    Not necessarily. I mentioned the topic in my PS and they suggested another course.

Besides, we both have our firm, right? Odds are the offer will be A*AA and it won't matter either way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So Nottingham are definitely either rejecting or giving offers to all applicants on Friday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcd1711)
    So Nottingham are definitely either rejecting or giving offers to all applicants on Friday?
    I think there may be a few more offers handed out after that, but I believe most L100 offers are being sorted out this Friday.

ReputationRep:
    I think there may be a few more offers handed out after that, but I believe most L100 offers are being sorted out this Friday.
    Waiting for friday now. :3

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.