Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ζ(s))
    \begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{x} \, dx & = \int_{0}^{1} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{n+1}\,dx =  \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{n+1}\,dx \\& = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)(2n+2)} = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)^2}  \\& = \frac{1}{2} \left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{(n+1)^2} = \frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} \\& = \frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{\pi^2}{6} \right) = \frac{\pi^2}{24}. \end{aligned}
    beautiful username bernhard

ReputationRep:
    Not at all a contribution to this thread, and I know the title is obviously tongue in cheek since most of the stuff in here is not trivial but...

I absolutely think the sentence "the proof is trivial" should ABSOLUTELY BE BANNED from university lecture notes.

I cannot stand it when you open a set of lecture notes on something you understand precisely nothing about, and within the first couple of pages the author is stating theorem after theorem "leaving the proof of the theorem to the reader" because "the proof is trivial" . Yes it may be trivial IF you understand the topic but if I understood said topic I wouldn't be reading the first couple of pages on a set of notes for it...

/Rant over .
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ζ(s))
    \begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{x} \, dx & = \int_{0}^{1} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{n+1}\,dx =  \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{(-1)^nx^{2n+1}}{n+1}\,dx \\& = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)(2n+2)} = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n}{(n+1)^2}  \\& = \frac{1}{2} \left(1-\frac{1}{2}\right)\sum_{n=0}^{ \infty} \frac{1}{(n+1)^2} = \frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} \\& = \frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{\pi^2}{6} \right) = \frac{\pi^2}{24}. \end{aligned}
    This is a thing of beauty. I would have just contour-integrated, and my answer would have been horrible.

ReputationRep:
    Now how about

Problem 467**

\displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{1 + x} \, dx ?

though perhaps the way I did it was over-complicated, I don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjpneed1)
    Now how about

Problem 467**

\displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{1 + x} \, dx ?

though perhaps the way I did it was over-complicated, I don't know
    Solution 467

\displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{1 + x} dx

=\displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{1} dx + \displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{x} dx

= \frac{\pi^2}{24}+-2+\frac{\pi}{2}+log(2)

Using the previous result and integrating log(1+x^2) by parts (basic integral, nothing worth showing).

EDIT: I've just realised this is a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Solution 467

=\displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{1} dx + \displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln(1 + x^2)}{x} dx

Using the previous result and integrating log(1+x^2) by parts (basic integral, nothing worth showing).
    How did you get from the first line to the second line?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by majmuh24)
    Can you break up a fraction from the sum in the denominator like that? I thought that only worked in the numerator

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't (usually) so it's either an error or a special case in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Solution 467

Not correct I'm afraid, I've never seen an integral broken up like that before but I guess you had a reason?

ReputationRep:
    Not correct I'm afraid, I've never seen an integral broken up like that before but I guess you had a reason?
    Did you use integration by parts?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've used the substitutions x=\tan \theta, then u=1+\tan \theta and I've ended up at:

\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \dfrac{\log(1+x^2)}{1+x} \text{ d}x & \ \overset{x=\tan\theta}= \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \dfrac{\log(1+\tan^2 \theta) \sec^2 \theta}{1+\tan \theta} \text{ d}\theta \\ & \overset{u=1+\tan\theta}= \int_{1}^{2} \dfrac{\log(u^2 - 2u + 2)}{u} \text{ d}u \end{aligned}

Edit: I'm going to try and express everything in terms of \sin \theta and \cos \theta after the first substitution.

Edit2: Nope, nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like integrals. But you guys sure do. Here's one I can only do via complex analysis; I wonder if anyone can manage it without it:

Problem 468***

\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}\dfrac{  \cos^2 x}{5+4\cos x}\ dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireGarden)
    I don't like integrals. But you guys sure do. Here's one I can only do via complex analysis; I wonder if anyone can manage it without it:

Problem 468***

\displaystyle\int_0^{\pi}\dfrac{  \cos^2 x}{5+4\cos x}\ dx
    You're joking right?

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Khallil)
    Did you use integration by parts?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've used the substitutions x=\tan \theta, then u=1+\tan \theta and I've ended up at:

\begin{aligned} \displaystyle \int_{0}^{1} \dfrac{\log(1+x^2)}{1+x} \text{ d}x & \ \overset{x=\tan\theta}= \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}} \dfrac{\log(1+\tan^2 \theta) \sec^2 \theta}{1+\tan \theta} \text{ d}\theta \\ & \overset{u=1+\tan\theta}= \int_{1}^{2} \dfrac{\log(u^2 - 2u + 2)}{u} \text{ d}u \end{aligned}

Edit: I'm going to try and express everything in terms of \sin \theta and \cos \theta after the first substitution.

Edit2: Nope, nothing.
    In case you're interested in how I did it, here's a hint:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    differentiation under the integral sign

ReputationRep:
    You're joking right?
    Why would I be joking? Have you seen half the integrals in this thread.. I just wolfram'd this thing and it has one gnarly antiderivative, but even then, some integrals in this thread don't even have antiderivatives at all.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I be joking? Have you seen half the integrals in this thread.. I just wolfram'd this thing and it has one gnarly antiderivative, but even then, some integrals in this thread don't even have antiderivatives at all.
    Surely you would try long division before complex analysis?? Then it's just a t-sub away :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khallil)
    How did you get from the first line to the second line?

(Original post by majmuh24)
    Can you break up a fraction from the sum in the denominator like that? I thought that only worked in the numerator

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by keromedic)
    You can't (usually) so it's either an error or a special case in this situation.

I din't do anything special, my brain just stopped functioning.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you would try long division before complex analysis?? Then it's just a t-sub away :confused:
    Well, I did say I don't really like integrals! If a sledge hammer I have I know will work and I have no other immediate ideas, I usually get on with it. Have you tried it, though?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I did say I don't really like integrals! If a sledge hammer I have I know will work and I have no other immediate ideas, I usually get on with it. Have you tried it, though?
    Oh fair enough, I apologise! Yeah I did try it and got  5\pi/24

ReputationRep:
    Oh fair enough . Yeah I did try it and got  5\pi/24
    That's what I got. Indeed, my integration ability is embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    That's what I got. Indeed, my integration ability is embarrassing
    No way, if I knew complex analysis I'd try and use it on every problem, it's pretty cool
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    No way, if I knew complex analysis I'd try and use it on every problem, it's pretty cool
    Nah, DUTIS is way cooler. It seems like absolute magic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Nah, DUTIS is way cooler. It seems like absolute magic.
    If cool is what we want, here's the coolest evaluation of an integral I've seen.

We want to evaluate \displaystyle\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ax^2}\ dx = f(a).

We will proceed with dimensional analysis. Suppose x represents some length, so it has dimension [L]. The exp function is required to have dimensionless input (as it is dimensionless itself), so a must have dimension [L]^{-2}, and dx of course has dimension [L].

Overall the LHS has dimension [1][L]. Thus f(a) has these dimensions too, so f(a)=\frac{k}{\sqrt{a}} where k is a dimensionless constant. In particular, f(1)=\sqrt{\pi} which defines this constant, hence f(a)=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.