Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    4 negs just for mentioning the cl final we lost? I thought I was sore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    what makes theo think that wenger cant find a better center forward than him for 15-20mill?

hes a good wide man but as a front man you cant compare to the players were linked with like higuain etc
    I agree with you there but I just don't see it as a "ridiculous wish". He started five games as a striker this season and scored seven or eight goals. They might have been against the likes of Newcastle and Reading but you can only beat what's in front of you.

ReputationRep:
    Saw some stuff about how the jovetic story is all coming from his end trying to drum up other interest and wenger isn't really interested in him
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    http://eaglesthatlooklikearsenewenger.tumblr.com/

Amazing.

ReputationRep:
    So jovetic has 14 goals and 7 assists in 40 games.

Walcott 22 goals 11 assists in 43 games.

Podolski 16 goals 10 assists 42 games.

Why would we want jovetic for that price?

If he did those stats for us in his first season would that justify all that money, **** that

Higuain any day

ReputationRep:
    Name:  tumblr_mn4dfhd6jm1srin97o1_1280.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  225.0 KB

Lol wenger back in the days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Name:  tumblr_mn4dfhd6jm1srin97o1_1280.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  225.0 KB

Lol wenger back in the days.
    Haha, love the hairdo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Saw some stuff about how the jovetic story is all coming from his end trying to drum up other interest and wenger isn't really interested in him
    Would suit Wenger as well for other clubs to think he's got plenty of options.

Always skeptical about Jovetic as we'd have to change our system substantially to play with him. Would personally prefer Higuain for 19m .

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has already been posted:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Would suit Wenger as well for other clubs to think he's got plenty of options.

Always skeptical about Jovetic as we'd have to change our system substantially to play with him. Would personally prefer Higuain for 19m .
    Yeah Higuain makes more sense I think would love Benteke though personally

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Higuain makes more sense I think would love Benteke though personally
    wouldnt complain but we'd be buying him right at the peak of the hype around him after his first season. 25m probably. Think Wenger would resent having to fork out that much after Villa got him for 7m a year ago as well.

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Great post. I guess it's a good thing that we're less reliant on one player like in 2011/12 where if you shut down RVP, you shut down Arsenal. Without divulging to much into stats, Podokski, Walcott, Giroud and Cazorla have all chipped in with a good amount of goals and assists this season. Cazorla plays in Jovetic' best position so that's why I'm not sure about the signing. He could be used from the left but where does that leave Podolski? A player I think will flourish next season. Out of all our signings I think he has had the most diffuculty adjusting to the PL because he isn't the most athletic of players.

I agree with most of your post, especially your points on Giroud. He has 17 goals and 11 assists this season and that is a decent return for a first season. I wouldn't want to compare him to Drogba because of what he achieved in English football and I do not believe that Giroud is capable of reaching the 30 goals a season like what RVP and Drogba have done. Would love to be proved wrong though. In regards to his style of play, he has really good movement and good link-up play, was very much the focal point of our attack this season, just his finishing has been poor. But it's not like that can't be improved, so I see no reason why he can't reach 20 goals next season. Again, if we sign Jovetic that drops Giroud to the bench which is not the Wenger way of doing things.

I think Walcott is such an important player for us now tbh, he scored 22 goals and 17 assists, that is a phenomenal return for a winger, and even though he has been missing at points of the season, I think if we keeps up the consistency he is such a deadly weapon to have in the team with his pace and finishing ability. And of course Cazorla is just a beast and without him we would have struggled for creativity. if Jovetic does arrive I'm looking forward to the interplay between them and Wilshere :coma:

I guess if we do sign Jovetic over Higuain we will continue to have a a more collective ethos which is a good thing, I just find it hard to see where he'll play as I can only see him playing as our no.9 when that a place where he is not suited to. But who am I to judge, Wenger knows best. If he thinks Jovetic is worth £25m then I'll support him. This is a guy that unearthed RVP and Henry, he is more than capable of turning Jovetic into another gem.
    Thanks. :cute: Oh definitely, and not just in terms of goals either; until last season or so, we've always had creative players providing the spark on the wings in addition to at least one through the middle - Nasri, Arshavin, Hleb, Rosicky at times, and back to Pires. Podolski, though, as someone noted towards the beginning of the season, is in an entirely different mould, and while he can still be dangerous for us, it'll be in a very different way to the above; as both I and others have noted, especially towards the beginning of the season there seemed to be a pretty significant discrepancy in the ways the midfield and the attack were set up, with the former seeming to still be set up to retain possession while the latter was more suited for direct/counter-attacking play (this was especially evident in the period between Diaby's injury and Wilshere's return). As such, I think it would be really beneficial to have a creative sort of player up in attack (we can't really afford to cram another one in midfield with both Cazorla and Wilshere being pretty much set starters).

If Jovetic does arrive, this is how I'd imagine we'd line up:

Podolski Jovetic Walcott
    Cazorla
    Wilshere Arteta/Ramsey/NewCM

And once in a while:

Giroud
    Podolski/Gervinho Jovetic Walcott/Cazorla

Or:

Giroud
    Jovetic Cazorla Walcott

So while he could double-up as a more conventional playmaker in a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1, I'd prefer to see him in the central attacking role of a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/pseudo-4-2-1-1-2. Gives us a good deal of flexibility really, having a player like that. :yep: Giroud would essentially have to play second-fiddle, but I think Wenger always intended Giroud to be a rotational option, and I think Giroud expected the same really.

http://www.ftbpro.com/posts/sydney.n...ie-replacement

I don't come to take the place of Van Persie. It would be stupid of me to think this. He had a great season. He scored 30 goals and he has a great credibility here. Van Persie, you can say he is left-footed, like me, but I am confident that we can play together.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...place-him.html

When you make the decision to join a great club, you know there is already a great forward.

I know what to expect. Van Persie is a fantastic player who was outstanding last season.

He has been at Arsenal for eight years, I hope I will have time to adapt and improve. Anyway, I don’t go there to take his place.

ReputationRep:
    Would take Damio over higuain anyday. I know he plays in a crap league but from what ive seen of him internationally and in the olympics he seems a real talent. Plus AVB would get pissed off

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon he's just a smokescreen for bigger targets or a back-up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Do you reckon he's just a smokescreen for bigger targets or a back-up?
    Dunno everything today seems to suggest that all the frenzy yesterday was a mixture of twitter bull**** and self promotion from his agent and there is very little interest from Wenger but as ever take that with a pinch of salt
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Does anybody know when we're actually going to sign someone?? Is there like a specific date or something? Cos, lol don't blame me but I'm desperate for some big buys!

No but seriously, WHEN?!? :confused:
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    By the way... I don't suggest reading caughtoffside.com those guys are full of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Does anybody know when we're actually going to sign someone?? Is there like a specific date or something? Cos, lol don't blame me but I'm desperate for some big buys!

No but seriously, WHEN?!? :confused:
    Its been 3 days chill brother
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Its been 3 days chill brother

Ha, yeah I know but still. Fulham's already done their stuff so... Anyways guess ur right.

ReputationRep:
    Transfer window isn't even officially open yet. Heck some league aren't even over :lol:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.