Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does Ed Mikliband still believe that we should join the Euro?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by levellingmcs)

I know I should leave this to Labour but I think he does just wouldn't admit to it in public.

ReputationRep:

Hi,
    In reply to your question, Ed Miliband said this when asked if he thought Britain would join the Euro:
    "very, very unlikely... I don't think it's going to happen... I can't see it in the foreseeable future".

On the contrary former Conservative cabinet minister Lord Heseltine in April said that he thought, Britain would join the Euro if the Euro survived...

We here at the TSR Labour Party are against Britain joining the Euro. Thank you for visiting our thread and asking this question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Hi,
    In reply to your question, Ed Miliband said this when asked if he thought Britain would join the Euro:
    "very, very unlikely... I don't think it's going to happen... I can't see it in the foreseeable future".

On the contrary former Conservative cabinet minister Lord Heseltine in April said that he thought, Britain would join the Euro if the Euro survived...

We here at the TSR Labour Party are against Britain joining the Euro. Thank you for visiting our thread and asking this question
    What would your rate of tax be for someone who earns £150,00 a year?

ReputationRep:
    Tony was in favour but Gordon was not, hence Gordon's tests

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    What are your views on this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19267308

Hi, thank you for your question. Our Shadow Health Secretary and Deputy Leader will be more than happy to answer your question

(Original post by TopHat)
    QFA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    What would your rate of tax be for someone who earns £150,00 a year?
    Hey, thank you for your question. Here at the 'TSR Labour Party QT thread' we like to give the relevant Shadow Secretary of State the chance to answer policy specific questions. This ensures the Sec of State gains exposure and you guys and people viewing this thread know who is who.

Our Shadow Chancellor will be more than happy to answer this question

(Original post by Maddog Jones)
    QFA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Tony was in favour but Gordon was not, hence Gordon's tests
    About the Euro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    About the Euro?
    Yes indeed

ReputationRep:
    Yes indeed
    Yep! Good ol' Gordon haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Hi,

Why not allow other countries to have the pound, and the ounce, the furlong, the yard and other great British units of currency or measurement? Except perhaps Ecuador if William Hague declares war on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Why not allow other countries to have the pound, and the ounce, the furlong, the yard and other great British units of currency or measurement? Except perhaps Ecuador if William Hague declares war on them.
    I doubt Hague will declare war on Ecuador. Personally I would not use the 1987 Act, the costs of doing so outweighs any benefit that we might gain. Best thing to do is sit and wait. Assange can not stay in the Ecuadorian embassy for the rest of his life..

ReputationRep:
    Does Her Majesty's Official Opposition agree with me that a Referendum is in order regarding the UK's Euro application when the time is right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Hi,

Hello,
    Thank you for trying to avoid the queation. You answer however, was okay. I would just like to inform you howeverm that I did not ask the Conservative stance on the Euro. Had I wanted to know that, I would of posted in their question time thread.

Hello,
    Thank you for trying to avoid the queation. You answer however, was okay. I would just like to inform you howeverm that I did not ask the Conservative stance on the Euro. Had I wanted to know that, I would of posted in their question time thread.

Please take into account that these are TSR Labour not real life Labour. Whilst some may be members in real life often they have different views and do not always tow the official party line.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Hi,

I did not avoid the question, I answered it directly and quite clearly. Thank you for posting

ReputationRep:
    Does Her Majesty's Official Opposition agree with me that a Referendum is in order regarding the UK's Euro application when the time is right?
    Just to confirm, is the Honourable Gentleman saying that the United Kingdom should have a referendum regarding whether to join the single currency?

If that is the case then we unfortunately disagree with the Honorable Gentleman. We do not envisage a situation in the near future where the British people will favour joining the single currency. We are proud of the British Pound and do not wish to give it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Just to confirm, is the Honourable Gentleman saying that the United Kingdom should have a referendum regarding whether to join the single currency?

If that is the case then we unfortunately disagree with the Honorable Gentleman. We do not envisage a situation in the near future where the British people will favour joining the single currency. We are proud of the British Pound and do not wish to give it up.
    Why does anyone have pride in a currency? It's simply a mechanism for transaction. Would you have pride in a piece of string were it used for such a purpose? The TSR Labour Party are pushing some odd ideas at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Why does anyone have pride in a currency? It's simply a mechanism for transaction. Would you have pride in a piece of string were it used for such a purpose? The TSR Labour Party are pushing some odd ideas at the moment.
    It is not just about the currency and mechanics of currency transaction. It is about the symbolism and status of the currency across the world. Having an autonomous currency which is personal and exclusive to your country and respected around the world is an immense source of pride.

Mr Speaker, if the member is not proud of having a strong currency which is respected around the world, then that is his opinion. We do not support his point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    It is not just about the currency and mechanics of currency transaction. It is about the symbolism and status of the currency across the world. Having an autonomous currency which is personal and exclusive to your country and respected around the world is an immense source of pride.

Mr Speaker, if the member is not proud of having a strong currency which is respected around the world, then that is his opinion. We do not support his point of view.
    What a freakishly affected manner of speech. You want us all to be patriotic zombies? Yay Britain yay, irrespective? Yay we bombed people? Yay British guns? What has happened to Labour's internationalism?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2018
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.