(Original post by kitchentowel1)
    St Catherines!
    You?
    I've applied to Oriel!
    Have you sent your application off yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artfanatic)
    Keble and I assume because the entry requirements for humanities are AAA
    I'm going for Keble too!!! Ensuites FTW! and I see... I think it'll be a lot different for maths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JME_CHG)
    I'm going for Keble too!!! Ensuites FTW! and I see... I think it'll be a lot different for maths...
    I know of one successful maths applicant from my school (4years since she went) Think she had all A*s at GCSE and then again at A2... so perhaps you are right :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artfanatic)
    I know of one successful maths applicant from my school (4years since she went) Think she had all A*s at GCSE and then again at A2... so perhaps you are right :shock:
    At GCSE, I got 8A*, 6A, 1B (RE (lol)) but MY SCHOOL WAS VERY BELOW AVG!! Over 3 standard deviations below the mean!!!

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE, I got 8A*, 6A, 1B (RE (lol)) but MY SCHOOL WAS VERY BELOW AVG!! Over 3 standard deviations below the mean!!!
    I am sure you will make a competitive application! I would imagine like most subjects the pre-interview test is a big factor in it all so don't despair if you see others with near to/'perfect' grades! [they know what they are looking for so just put your trust in them!]

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a pain, can anyone link me to the page about what they recommend for putting on reference? It's a flash page made by the university i think
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    And I'm actually uncertain about the last 2 subject, I'm highly certain I'll deffo do 4, but if it gets too much I can always wing the last 3 subjects since it's not part of my offer right?
    If you apply with 6 subjects you can't just drop the "extra" subjects without prior agreement from any unis you have accepted offers (firm/insurance) from.

Much better not to apply with six, four is more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by googolplexity)
    Sorry to be a pain, can anyone link me to the page about what they recommend for putting on reference? It's a flash page made by the university i think
    this?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying for Maths at St Hugh's but I'm worried about my chances as my school haven't had a successful Oxford applicant in three years . I got 11A*s at GCSE and 4 As in AS Maths, Fmaths, Chemistry and Physics. Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    If you apply with 6 subjects you can't just drop the "extra" subjects without prior agreement from any unis you have accepted offers (firm/insurance) from.

Much better not to apply with six, four is more than enough.
    But if they give A*A*A offer then surely this means they don't care what happens to the other 3?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    But if they give A*A*A offer then surely this means they don't care what happens to the other 3?
    They may or may not care, but you have contracted to them that you are taking 6 a-levels. Any change in the terms of your application must be notified to the universities.

It's likely they won't mind, but they may. And if you don't tell them then technically they can withdraw your offer.

ReputationRep:
    They may or may not care, but you have contracted to them that you are taking 6 a-levels. Any change in the terms of your application must be notified to the universities.

It's likely they won't mind, but they may. And if you don't tell them then technically they can withdraw your offer.
    Alright what if I say on UCAS I'm doing 4 but in reality do 6? Isn't this still against the contract?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    17 turning 18, is rather different to 15 turning 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are 2-3 students aged 17 in most years. It is not a huge issue but there are a few things that all Universities have to put in place for students aged under-18. In brief, your parents/guardians have to co-sign a tenancy agreement, give permission for emergency medical treatment (in the unlikely event you require it), and there are restrictions on drinking that apply until your 18th birthday. If your parents/guardians live overseas then guardians who live in the EU must usually also be nominated.

Admission at ages below 16 presents a much bigger issue because Universities are predominantly adult learning environments and will not act in loco parentis - which means that a parent or guardian assumes caring responsibilities. In practice, most students aged below 16 either study from home or wait until they are 17 before commencing study.

PS our bar license does permit under-18 year-olds to enter and there are a lot of social activities that take place here unrelated to drinking or tangentially related. It is just alcoholic beverages that are off-limits until a student turns 18.

ReputationRep:
    Will being a dedicated arsene wenger fanboy help my application??
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Admission at ages below 16 presents a much bigger issue because Universities are predominantly adult learning environments and will not act in loco parentis - which means that a parent or guardian assumes caring responsibilities. In practice, most students aged below 16 either study from home or wait until they are 17 before commencing study.
    And would that be possible for Medicine?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Alright what if I say on UCAS I'm doing 4 but in reality do 6? Isn't this still against the contract?
    I would think so.You are required to tell UCAS about all your achieved and expected qualifications for the current year.

And why risk the hassle?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    And would that be possible for Medicine?
    We admitted a Fresher aged 17 to read Medicine a few years ago and there were no issues.

We are not sure what the position would be for anyone under-16 and suggest that you contact the admissions administrator for Medical Science direct: [email protected]

Our feeling is that age is not a criteria for selection and there are no health and safety issues for which reasonable adjustment could not be made in the case of a student who is a minor.

Personal characteristics form part of admissions selection for Medicine and all applicants have to meet these. At very young ages it might be more difficult to meet some of these (eg empathy) but age is not in and of itself an impediment to entry:
    • Motivation: a reasonably well-informed and strong desire to practise medicine
    • Communication: ability to make knowledge and ideas clear using language appropriate to the audience
    • Honesty and integrity
    • Ethical awareness
    • Ability to work with others
    • Capacity for sustained and intense work
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    We are not sure what the position would be for anyone under-16 and suggest that you contact the admissions administrator for Medical Science direct: [email protected]
    Thanks.

Although, it's not for me... it's tehtarik who is applying for entry as a 15yo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niall kanemyass)
    Will being a dedicated arsene wenger fanboy help my application??

:top:
    It will definitely get you close to that offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hii there
    I was thinking about applying to Oxford for Medicine, really not too sure though after looking at statistics
    I have 6A* 5A with extenuating circumstances ( and also at a state school)
    4A at AS
    Predicted 4A* 1A in EPQ
    Any advice? Realistically
    Thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.