Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPD96)
    Thats applicants per place, not applicants per offer. I want to know applicants per offer- so if you apply what are the chances of getting an offer- because universities give out more offers than places
    I am a first year studying Econ at UCL and I've been helping out at the open days where you guys are given offers. If I am not mistaken there are 5 open days with 80 people invited to each one, so assuming that everyone who is invited actually attends (not very likely), there are approximately 400 offers given to UK students. Then since the international rate for Econ is approximately 50%, if we just assume that 400 offers are given to international students too.

So as a VERY rough estimate, there are about 800 offers given out, and 3000 applicants. So there are roughly 3.75 applicants per offer.

So between 3 and 4 applicants per offer is a good guide I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    I am a first year studying Econ at UCL and I've been helping out at the open days where you guys are given offers. If I am not mistaken there are 5 open days with 80 people invited to each one, so assuming that everyone who is invited actually attends (not very likely), there are approximately 400 offers given to UK students. Then since the international rate for Econ is approximately 50%, if we just assume that 400 offers are given to international students too.

So as a VERY rough estimate, there are about 800 offers given out, and 3000 applicants. So there are roughly 3.75 applicants per offer.

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)

Do you know when the next open days are??

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham or Bristol for straight economics? Like them both equally and can't decide which to firm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kriterz)
    Nottingham or Bristol for straight economics? Like them both equally and can't decide which to firm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am firming Nottingham(if Warwick don't give me an offer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill Twix)
    I am firming Nottingham(if Warwick don't give me an offer)
    Oh cool, sorry to hear about the rejection from bristol, would you have preferred Bristol over Notts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bristols course is a lot more mathematical (Notts is a BA right?) and business focused. Depends on if those factors appeal to you.

I'd go for Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Bristols course is a lot more mathematical (Notts is a BA right?) and business focused. Depends on if those factors appeal to you.

I'd go for Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I'm looking for as much maths as possible so I'm leaning towards Bristol, is there any difference in the strength of the departments or are they very similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm looking for as much maths as possible so I'm leaning towards Bristol, is there any difference in the strength of the departments or are they very similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very similar, both Top 10 unis. Employment prospects would be identical at both, although Bristol's course would arguably prepare you better for PostGrad.

ReputationRep:
    Very similar, both Top 10 unis. Employment prospects would be identical at both, although Bristol's course would arguably prepare you better for PostGrad.
    Oh ok cool thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'd go for Bristol.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied for BSC Economics at Nottingham!

Oh cool, sorry to hear about the rejection from bristol, would you have preferred Bristol over Notts?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not really.According to the CUG rankings,Notts is ranked 6th in the UK for Economics!But I would have preferred Bristol because the university is spread across the city!

ReputationRep:
    Not really.According to the CUG rankings,Notts is ranked 6th in the UK for Economics!But I would have preferred Bristol because the university is spread across the city!
    Ah fair enough, I'm going to go to the post offer days and decide then. I don't know whether I trust the league tables either as Bristol is 35th or something in the guardian league table and I think they put middlesex above them which is nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I've gone for Economics and Finance at Bristol after an unsuccessful application for the straight Economics course!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for BSC Economics at Nottingham!
    My point still stands. The fact that you only need an A in GCSE Maths means the starting level must be pretty basic.

According to the CUG rankings, Notts is ranked 6th in the UK for Economics!
    And Bristol is ranked 7th so the difference is negligible. It is irrational to pick a uni based on something trivial like rankings which fluctuate year on year.

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough, I'm going to go to the post offer days and decide then. I don't know whether I trust the league tables either as Bristol is 35th or something in the guardian league table and I think they put middlesex above them which is nonsense!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think we can all safely ignore the Guardian's tables - I have literally no idea how they've come up with their list!

Putting East Anglia, Strathclyde, Lancaster, Aston and Leeds above the likes of St Andrews, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol? What a load of utter trollop.

On another note, who else is still waiting for Warwick? I'm seriously considering withdrawing my application and just firming Bath...really cbf with this waiting any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMR1997)
    I think we can all safely ignore the Guardian's tables - I have literally no idea how they've come up with their list!

Putting East Anglia, Strathclyde, Lancaster, Aston and Leeds above the likes of St Andrews, Bath, Nottingham and Bristol? What a load of utter trollop.

On another note, who else is still waiting for Warwick? I'm seriously considering withdrawing my application and just firming Bath...really cbf with this waiting any more.
    Yeah I agree their league table seems to be very inaccurate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have offers from both, I'm firming notts if I don't get my other offers. They're almost identical, I slightly prefer notts campus. Job prospects and the quality of the courses are basically the same at both. Notts isn't just a BA, its either BA/Bsc depending on your module choices I think so u can make it mathsy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pat.bateman)
    I have offers from both, I'm firming notts if I don't get my other offers. They're almost identical, I slightly prefer notts campus. Job prospects and the quality of the courses are basically the same at both. Notts isn't just a BA, its either BA/Bsc depending on your module choices I think so u can make it mathsy
    Oh right cool, I haven't seen the Notts campus yet but I heard it's great but the City itself isn't as good? I also like the accounting modules that Bristol have to offer, do you know whether the accounting and finance modules involve a lot of maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done!Who's your firm and insurance?
    Not sure atm, but I'll probably firm Leicester or Reading, if I get an offer from Reading that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username13)
    I withdrew my Warwick application too and firmed one of my other choices. Feel a lot more motivated for my a levels now and depending on the uni could get you better accommodation maybe ?

But I can understand if you want to wait it out as well.
    That must be a relief.. Where did you decide on eventually?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.