Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, there --

So... I'm having a bit of a struggle, and I thought maybe you guys could help.

I've been offered a place in the Centre of African Studies, but I haven't heard anything about funding yet. I was given to understand that if I didn't hear anything by the end of June it wasn't a good sign, but when I contacted Cambridge Trust they told me that my application was still under consideration and they would e-mail me when they knew for sure. I've been offered $32,000CA to go to school in Queen's University in Kingston, and I need to sign a lease soon if I decide to go with that option. The problem is that the idea of turning down my offer from Cambridge makes me feel sick to my stomach; as though I'm throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime.

Do you guys think there is any chance I could still end up with some funding from Cambridge at this point? If not, is it worth it to go so much into debt in order to go?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ejbarner)
    Hey, there --

So... I'm having a bit of a struggle, and I thought maybe you guys could help.

I've been offered a place in the Centre of African Studies, but I haven't heard anything about funding yet. I was given to understand that if I didn't hear anything by the end of June it wasn't a good sign, but when I contacted Cambridge Trust they told me that my application was still under consideration and they would e-mail me when they knew for sure. I've been offered $32,000CA to go to school in Queen's University in Kingston, and I need to sign a lease soon if I decide to go with that option. The problem is that the idea of turning down my offer from Cambridge makes me feel sick to my stomach; as though I'm throwing away the opportunity of a lifetime.

Do you guys think there is any chance I could still end up with some funding from Cambridge at this point? If not, is it worth it to go so much into debt in order to go?
    Most of the folks on this thread are undergrad applicants so it's probably not the best place to ask.

Try contacting Cambridge direct, or maybe ask here:

Cambridge 2015 Postgraduate Entry
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2829973

ReputationRep:
    Any Natsci students offers changed because of extenuating circumstances applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azita2008)
    Any Natsci students offers changed because of extenuating circumstances applied?
    I don't think they would change an offer for extenuating circumstances, but they might be more understanding on results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By being more understanding would they lower the grade boundary?

ReputationRep:
    Or accept a lower grades?

ReputationRep:
    Not unless you've warned them, circumstances that only become extenuating when you miss your offer are always suspicious in my view. However if you have legitimate issues and warn them in advance then they will be able to decide with due consideration to circumstances rather than a repeal submitted on results day which *I* would regard with a fair dash on cynicism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tompkins Table 2015 released. Pembroke falls from 2nd to 5th. Turning down my offer now. Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on what the circumstances were and if they thought they were enough to accept lower grades. Have you already got your results or are you just expecting to not reach it? It would also depend on how close you were to reaching your offer- if you were just one mark off then I suspect they would accept you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Tompkins Table 2015 released. Pembroke falls from 2nd to 5th. Turning down my offer now. Pathetic.
    And Christ's down from 9th to 14th. Used to be consisently in top 5. Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    And Christ's down from 9th to 14th. Used to be consisently in top 5. Oh dear...
    I guess that means it isn't a academic pressured college :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Absolutely how I felt, roll on Edinburgh.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I guess that means it isn't a academic pressured college :woo:
    It might be now...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone worried that they won't get in??

So jealous of everyone who did the IB and already have their results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Physical, although just a technicality, and if I carry on with NatSci I'll be going into more biological.
    Was just easier to get in with physical :mmm:

Ah which a2s? I think mine went well thanks, bar one physics. But it should work out overall, I hope...
    Haha awesome!

I did French, history and English lit... Was it OCR? I remember everyone at my school being really upset with one the OCR physics exams. Best of luck with results, it sounds like you did well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by draculina)
    Haha awesome!

I did French, history and English lit... Was it OCR? I remember everyone at my school being really upset with one the OCR physics exams. Best of luck with results, it sounds like you did well!
    Ah nice!

Yeah it was an ocr one, it wasn't too hard, I just had a really bad exam day. Couldn't think of anything :lol:

But if many people were upset with it, that bodes well!

ReputationRep:
    Ngl I find it pretty amazing that 40% of the people who go to Trinity get firsts, and I say that as a Trinity offer holder.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by bored565)
    Ngl I find it pretty amazing that 40% of the people who go to Trinity get firsts, and I say that as a Trinity offer holder.
    They are mostly mathmos at Trinity and we know how easy it is to get a first in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody got advice about accommodation?

Loads of people on the Christs Facebook page are saying that they specified a particular area (New Court) because they believed that other Freshers would be there - I didn't think about that when I sent off my accommodation form! Should I change it? There are some rooms that I prefer, but obviously being around others first years is more important to me than having a room that I like.

I dunno what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Anybody got advice about accommodation?

Loads of people on the Christs Facebook page are saying that they specified a particular area (New Court) because they believed that other Freshers would be there - I didn't think about that when I sent off my accommodation form! Should I change it? There are some rooms that I prefer, but obviously being around others first years is more important to me than having a room that I like.

I dunno what to do!
    Haha yeah I put new court down, what did you put instead?

C/D/E are nice but few rooms and a whole court away.

Blythe and Z Annex etc are also quite separate.

Apparently even Staircase 4 is quite isolated compared to others, but I just put it down because rooms are huge

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.