Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Welbeck is an interesting player, I don't think he is that far off from being a decent striker but he hasn't really made the next step in his development. Its been that case for a number of years. I'm glad we bought him and there's no need to overhaul our strike force but I don't think he will ever be our first choice striker.

The guy reminds a lot of Park Ji-Sung tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    There is developing talent and there's staying competitive while doing so. So either Wenger changes the style of play to be more pragmatic/hard to play against to utilise the weaker teams like other teams who focus heavily on player development more than getting ready made players(Atlético and Dortmund) or he gets some more ready made players in key positions. He could also do both(like Chelsea/Bayern have done recently) but it seems like Wenger is attempting both but just not at the standard required.

I get you with Welbeck. He has enough in his all round game and his pace alone will create chances for him in the future.
    Wenger's plan was always to develop our own talent mainly and then supplement them with international quality. Wenger is trying to build a squad that can challenge is all. I honestly wonder what level the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Welbeck, Theo, Ox and even Akpom, Woj and Gnabry to an extent will be at on the verge of Wenger's last year of his contract. We should have a very strong team with leaders and experience really.

But then again how could we lose to Monaco at home in such a pathetic manner with most of our key players completely fit bar Ramsey. It's a mentality problem tbh I've mentioned this before. The current crop of players are choir boys too mentally weak, they lack the courage and conviction to sustain a real challenge over the season for the CL and PL or affect key moment in games. I think Wenger is to blame for this. There's a reason our best players left they have a different mindset, they wanted to succeed at all costs. They were naturally aggressive and determined in doing so which made them our best players.

I still feel Wenger is as passionate as ever tbh There will come a time, possible on the verge of next season, where he'll be outright ruthless with certain players and the squad.

ReputationRep:
    get venga the **** out already. **** sake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Why would Benzema leave his comfy first team spot in the best club side in the world to join us? Same with Cavani, he is quickly becoming PSG's foreman with Ibra aging, and in a year or so, he will be the main man. Dybala would be overpriced for what he is worth and capable of, Falcao (lol, we already saw how that went). Martinez and Lacazette are good shouts except every team in Europe would go in for them if they knew they were available, Bacca not so much.
    Martinez is available, Porto aren't exactly known for holding onto their players when larger teams come knocking and his release clause has been widely touted, supposedly in the region of £30-35m which Porto will hold out for (or at least a value close to) which is why no one has taken a chance on him. The likes of Costa, Bony, Mandzukic, Higuain etc. all moved for a similar price tag (if not less), had similar/better goalscoring records in superior leagues and are all younger bar Mandzukic who moved for about half the price anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    Martinez is available, Porto aren't exactly known for holding onto their players when larger teams come knocking and his release clause has been widely touted, supposedly in the region of £30-35m which Porto will hold out for (or at least a value close to) which is why no one has taken a chance on him. The likes of Costa, Bony, Mandzukic, Higuain etc. all moved for a similar price tag (if not less), had similar/better goalscoring records in superior leagues and are all younger bar Mandzukic who moved for about half the price anyway.
    Well we will see which club he goes to, but in the end, buying players isn't going to help us as much as reshuffling training tactics and working on mentality. Our team is already good enough in every position to beat big teams, more than good enough, but we are too naive and too weak-willed. Buying players in won't fix that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Wenger's plan was always to develop our own talent mainly and then supplement them with international quality. Wenger is trying to build a squad that can challenge is all. I honestly wonder what level the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Gibbs, Welbeck, Theo, Ox and even Akpom, Woj and Gnabry to an extent will be at on the verge of Wenger's last year of his contract. We should have a very strong team with leaders and experience really. .
    Could have said (and many people did say) the exact same thing a few years ago about Denilson, Song, Vela, Gibbs, Bendtner, Djourou.

Or even a few years before that with Senderos, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Fabregas, Diaby, Eboue, Adebayor and Hleb.

ReputationRep:
    I don't look at our team and say we're lacking quality players.

I look at our team and say we're lacking quality management.

Same old, same old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Could have said (and many people did say) the exact same thing a few years ago about Denilson, Song, Vela, Gibbs, Bendtner, Djourou.

Or even a few years before that with Senderos, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Fabregas, Diaby, Eboue, Adebayor and Hleb.
    Each of those "teams" had their own strengths and weakness, distinctive styles with good and bad moments. There was always something missing from each of their sides.

But the main fact is that Wenger never had the ability to build due to the financial constraints, the rise of Chelsea and City plus constant poaching of our best players. He had to be careful not to put the club in danger.

It's different now because we have the extra revenue which allows the club to be stable. Wenger can build because we can keep our best players. We no longer need to cash to balance the books. There has been a massive change in Wenger's transfer policy. We've been buying established quality.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm not buying this young maturing squad bs anymore, the fact is we have the players to compete and they aren't really young on the whole, other than Coq and Bellerin the rest were all at least 25 yesterday most older.
    Also in terms of experience the experience in our team is crazy at a glance, World Cup winners, homed internationals, the problem is still pathetic immaturity when it comes to going one goal behind. we paniced after the first then went out all guns blazing in the second half just begging to be hit on the counter.

whether that is the managers fault or not I am sceptical about. But a top manager would have seen that we were going too crazy trying to grab an equaliser and gona ****ing mental at the team telling them to calm the **** down and that there's still the whole second leg left.
    Also nice to see all the English clubs in top 4 race making sure they get knocked out of Europe to make sure soton and united don't have less congested fixture lists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Because you've got nothing.

Typical flip flop u-turn Arsenal fan. Praise Arsene when we win; abuse him when we lose.
    Or because you've got no substance to your arguments and decided to start one with me when you've pretty much agreed with 80% of my points. Feel like you wanted to started an argument regardless of what I said.

Call me whatever you want rofl I've been In the same Stance from the start of the season :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Nah I'm not buying this young maturing squad bs anymore, the fact is we have the players to compete and they aren't really young on the whole, other than Coq and Bellerin the rest were all at least 25 yesterday most older.
    Also in terms of experience the experience in our team is crazy at a glance, World Cup winners, homed internationals, the problem is still pathetic immaturity when it comes to going one goal behind. we paniced after the first then went out all guns blazing in the second half just begging to be hit on the counter.

whether that is the managers fault or not I am sceptical about. But a top manager would have seen that we were going too crazy trying to grab an equaliser and gona ****ing mental at the team telling them to calm the **** down and that there's still the whole second leg left.
    Also nice to see all the English clubs in top 4 race making sure they get knocked out of Europe to make sure soton and united don't have less congested fixture lists

A bit of that is Mertaskar's fault and a bit of it is Wneger's fault. Mert is the captain and completely ****s the bed when we are a goal down. He doesn't even try to encourage the team, he just does nothing. And Wenger's job is to prepare the players mentally before games and he is not doing that.
    Ozil is a mixed character. If we are ahead first, he does his defensive work and has a high work rate, but if we go behind first he does not try.

Our tactics are non-existant. If we had a manager with proper tactics like Klopp, we have a chance to win CL.

ReputationRep:
    We really should go for Lacazette this season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    We really should go for Lacazette this season
    You could just take Falcao. Im sure with the chances you lot create, he'd score bucket loads of goals. :awesome:

Lacazette would be a great signing.
    Walcott Lacazette Sanchez.
    Great front 3 with Ox and Welbeck on the bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely wonder why Ozil flips off at the ref's for fair challenges on him and holds his hands up in distraught when he misplaces some passes. He's a world-class player but he needs to find his stride in our squad, build his strength aswell.

Don't see why people are agreeing with placing him on the wing ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    You could just take Falcao. Im sure with the chances you lot create, he'd score bucket loads of goals. :awesome:

Lacazette would be a great signing.
    Walcott Lacazette Sanchez.
    Great front 3 with Ox and Welbeck on the bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Falcao?

I'd rather have McGoldrick from Ipswich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefano93)
    Falcao?

I'd rather have McGoldrick from Ipswich.
    Wenger would probably sign McGoldrick :mmm: and maybe Danny Ings on a free transfer :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Lacazette looks a bit like Darren Bent, just me? Ok.

Yeah this is why I miss Pat Rice, even with Wenger just sitting there chilling he'd always go to the edge of the box and scream his head off. Again, I question how Steve earns a living at this club.

Wenger really wants to win the CL before he leaves, you can tell. The pundit panel even said it's obvious...he was so deflated after our game with Monaco, and why wouldn't he be. This was the same guy who said he's planning on going to Church to thank God for the draw. I don't want to blame Wenger for the result, yes there are things he could have done to help it like earlier subs maybe etc. I still stand that Mertasacker is the sole purpose for this loss. ****.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    It's different now because we have the extra revenue which allows the club to be stable. Wenger can build because we can keep our best players. We no longer need to cash to balance the books. There has been a massive change in Wenger's transfer policy. We've been buying established quality.
    Arsenal signings last two seasons:

Sanogo, Flamini, Ozil, Sanchez, Chambers, Welbeck, Debuchy, Ospina, Chambers, Paulista, Bielik

That lot cost £150m and I don't see much ''established quality'' there apart from the obvious two. Most of them are the same type of player that Wenger has always gone for. I have no doubt that he'll leave a fantastic squad for whoever succeeds him but there's still a lot of work to do. Is a defensive unit containing Ospina, Bellerin, Gibbs, Mertesacker & Coquelin good enough to compete for the Premier League and Champions League? Not even close.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    Controversial here but I see Debuchy, Gabriel and arguably Ospina as established quality. Ospina because he was decent in Nice and fantastic for Colombia at the WC.

You only mention Ozil and Alexis as established qualities because they've come from massive clubs. Not sure it works like that. Debuchy was solid for Newcastle as was Gabriel for Villarreal alike.

Not saying any of them are world class but they are still good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Wenger would probably sign McGoldrick :mmm: and maybe Danny Ings on a free transfer :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Plus a 15 year old who we've been scouting from Russia for 6 mths with a broken foot.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.