Turn on thread page Beta

Japanese Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    Welp, my way to remember かいわ is definitely going to be 会社に会話がる! OK, so you'd set up a 'for the sake of' sentence, then? If I'm translating it right, literally it'd be "I have to search for a teacher for the sake of practicing conversation?". Thank you so much for your help! And ack, wait, I need to look up those two words -- oh gosh, the infamous keigo and sonkeigo :/ I've decided that since A Level Japanese (I've decided I want to do GCSE next year, in year 12, and AS in year 13) doesn't require it as far as I can tell, I'll leave the formal formal language to last.... It's incredible that you learnt Japanese in Japan; I'd never have the confidence to do something like that! GCSE is sort of N4 equivalent, I've been told, and AS Level a high N3/low N2, so those are what I'm aiming for at the moment. I do want to get the N3 certification at some point, though - maybe the winter before my AS Level?
    I will definitely study hard enough that I can speak Japanese like a Japanese person soon, thank you so much for your help!!
    Your more than welcome. I went over there not speaking a word of the language, I reckon if you have the basis (which you seem to) then you would pick up the spoken aspect of the language a lot quicker. If you want easy spoken Japanese to listen to try watching ドラえもん, there are loads of episodes on youtube. For reading and vocab, try looking at the NHK News Web Easy. It has news stories from Japan written in mind for foreigners learning the language, for example they will use the furigana above the kanji so you can read it. Immersing yourself in the language is the way to do it, though it is so hard to do when you are outside the country, but persist and you'll get where you want to go! 頑張れ!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floyd Pinkerton)
    Your more than welcome. I went over there not speaking a word of the language, I reckon if you have the basis (which you seem to) then you would pick up the spoken aspect of the language a lot quicker. If you want easy spoken Japanese to listen to try watching ドラえもん, there are loads of episodes on youtube. For reading and vocab, try looking at the NHK News Web Easy. It has news stories from Japan written in mind for foreigners learning the language, for example they will use the furigana above the kanji so you can read it. Immersing yourself in the language is the way to do it, though it is so hard to do when you are outside the country, but persist and you'll get where you want to go! 頑張れ!
    OK, yeah, definitely amazing! And that's what I'm hoping, too >-<. Ah, I've heard of doraemon! I will definitely look it and the NHK site up; thanks so much! I'm plodding through vocab and grammar, but more reading practice will definitely help me a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeriKG)
    I imagine.

Can you tell me if the pronunciation is similar to the Italian one?
    Yo! Might not be that helpful, but I find that Japanese pronunciation, bar a few sounds, is pretty close to Spanish? So in turn, it should be decently similar to Italian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    A year for me, but on and off

Only recently started getting back to it
    Ah, I totally get losing interest or focus; the only reason I'm managing to keep on track right now is because I have a definite goal to work towards! (I've been doing vocabulary every single day since the 2nd of this month, I'm very impressed with myself :P it means that I'll be finishing the 1183 word GCSE vocab list by the end of this month.... so, of course, I'm sure that absolutely nothing will actually stick in my mind! )

ReputationRep:
    Yo! Might not be that helpful, but I find that Japanese pronunciation, bar a few sounds, is pretty close to Spanish? So in turn, it should be decently similar to Italian?
    And that is why Spanish folks learning Japanese have no problem with the Japanese 'r' sound

ReputationRep:
    And that is why Spanish folks learning Japanese have no problem with the Japanese 'r' sound
    ...Is that why there are so many Spanish people who are into Japanese shiz on the internet? I mean, I started delving into Japanese before Spanish and just straight away started pronouncing everything as if it were Japanese, and then got told that my Spanish accent was lovely (I like languages. It's awful. I need to be stopped.) so I'm in no position to confirm or deny this but, it'd certainly explain a lot.
    My name, funnily enough, is the only Indian name I know with a Japanese 'r' - so I never really had to learn how to make the sound!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I totally get losing interest or focus; the only reason I'm managing to keep on track right now is because I have a definite goal to work towards! (I've been doing vocabulary every single day since the 2nd of this month, I'm very impressed with myself :P it means that I'll be finishing the 1183 word GCSE vocab list by the end of this month.... so, of course, I'm sure that absolutely nothing will actually stick in my mind! )
    It is not about losing interest, in fact my interest still very strong, but it is about fitting it around other commitments... Also you have the issue of immersion in the language i.e using it 24/7 which is not completely possible....

ReputationRep:
    It is not about losing interest, in fact my interest still very strong, but it is about fitting it around other commitments... Also you have the issue of immersion in the language i.e using it 24/7 which is not completely possible....
    I'm impressed, I have the attention span of a goldfish Summer break is the best time to try immersion though! Seriously. I've been watching way too much anime lately by excusing it as 'listening practice'.

ReputationRep:
    ...Is that why there are so many Spanish people who are into Japanese shiz on the internet? I mean, I started delving into Japanese before Spanish and just straight away started pronouncing everything as if it were Japanese, and then got told that my Spanish accent was lovely (I like languages. It's awful. I need to be stopped.) so I'm in no position to confirm or deny this but, it'd certainly explain a lot.
    My name, funnily enough, is the only Indian name I know with a Japanese 'r' - so I never really had to learn how to make the sound!
    Probably. I can't confirm or deny But I imagine that sort of enthusiasm is the same for anyone who is serious about Japanese! I'm one of them. I love the culture (not the otaku culture), the food and the onsens! I'm definitely crazy about onsen!

ReputationRep:
    Probably. I can't confirm or deny But I imagine that sort of enthusiasm is the same for anyone who is serious about Japanese! I'm one of them. I love the culture (not the otaku culture), the food and the onsens! I'm definitely crazy about onsen!
    True, true! I've always been really interested in how polite Japanese culture is, and how the language reflects that u v u though I won't lie and say I never had a weeb phase. 10 year old me was appalling. I got through it with blood, sweat, and tears goddamnit - I've earned my place as a non-otaku Japanese learner!

ReputationRep:
    I'm impressed, I have the attention span of a goldfish Summer break is the best time to try immersion though! Seriously. I've been watching way too much anime lately by excusing it as 'listening practice'.
    Haha I wouldn't use shonen anime to learn Japanese! A lot of slang words/phrases which would be considered very rude and childish lol Maybe seinen anime...But I found the best way is to find a Japanese person and interact either in person or via Skype, or watch loads of J-drama/J-movies....

ReputationRep:
    Any body trying to learn Kana( Hirigana and Katakana)should use Dr.Moku mobile app, took me about a week to learn both with it! And Remembering the Kanji is a brilliant book for well learning and remembering Kanji... Oddly enough!

ReputationRep:
    True, true! I've always been really interested in how polite Japanese culture is, and how the language reflects that u v u though I won't lie and say I never had a weeb phase. 10 year old me was appalling. I got through it with blood, sweat, and tears goddamnit - I've earned my place as a non-otaku Japanese learner!
    Hahah everyone had that phase, including me, it was embarrassing.....Anyway, you'll be suprised when you go there....

ReputationRep:
    Haha I wouldn't use shonen anime to learn Japanese! A lot of slang words/phrases which would be considered very rude and childish lol Maybe seinen anime...But I found the best way is to find a Japanese person and interact either in person or via Skype, or watch loads of J-drama/J-movies....
    Not shonen, slice of life high school flicks - is that even worse...? There are some cute ones (cough TARI TARI cough) out there! It's good for that elated feeling you get when you recognise a word you just learnt u v u I clearly need to make more friends of the Japanese nature, though...

ReputationRep:
    I clearly need to make more friends of the Japanese nature, though...
    You should check out Hellotalk.

I've been studying Japanese for about a year and a half now, and in that time I've been through many apps/websites/textbooks etc. but Hellotalk is definitely one of the most useful. I'd recommend it. The people I've met on there have been so helpful.

Think Whatsapp for language learners. It connects you to native speakers of the language that you're learning, who are also learning your native language.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose so. I heard that Japanese has just 5 vowels, like Spanish. Italian is a little bit up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    You should check out Hellotalk.

I've been studying Japanese for about a year and a half now, and in that time I've been through many apps/websites/textbooks etc. but Hellotalk is definitely one of the most useful. I'd recommend it. The people I've met on there have been so helpful.

Think Whatsapp for language learners. It connects you to native speakers of the language that you're learning, who are also learning your native language.
    !! That sounds amazing, thank you so much!

(Original post by KeriKG)
    I suppose so. I heard that Japanese has just 5 vowels, like Spanish. Italian is a little bit up
    Ah, yeah there are only 5 vowels. I guess the number of overall sounds might be a little less than Italian, though?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Anyone been to Japan recently?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    Anyone been to Japan recently?
    Not in a while but Japan's come to me, I've had some friends over and I've been taking them sightseeing and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    this thread is great

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.