Maths Uni Chat Watch

Sooz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
It is going to be massively changed - Linear Algebra has been moved to first year.
I meant more by the change of lecturer than that. I don't think the move of linear algebra would affect it that much, except maybe make it go a bit faster as concepts that we hadn't done yet in linear algebra had to be taught to us in codes first as well.
Was still a fun module though as was geometric topology.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sooz)
I meant more by the change of lecturer than that. I don't think the move of linear algebra would affect it that much, except maybe make it go a bit faster as concepts that we hadn't done yet in linear algebra had to be taught to us in codes first as well.
Was still a fun module though as was geometric topology.
They are doing two versions of codes next year - the current one which will have a little more material in it, along with a cryptography module.
Sooz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They are doing two versions of codes next year - the current one which will have a little more material in it, along with a cryptography module.
Ooooo... just looked at the modules for next year. I can't believe they are getting rid of ANT. I decided not to do it in my second year but have wanted to sit in on it every year since. I thought I would finally have the chance to next year and they go and get rid of it. Hopefully the Elementary Number Theory and the Algebra courses will cover what I want.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sooz)
Ooooo... just looked at the modules for next year. I can't believe they are getting rid of ANT. I decided not to do it in my second year but have wanted to sit in on it every year since. I thought I would finally have the chance to next year and they go and get rid of it. Hopefully the Elementary Number Theory and the Algebra courses will cover what I want.
Algebra II I think is its replacement. Really the ANT material has been split across two courses, where most of the basics on groups seems to have been moved onto the Cryptography course. ANT wasn't going to last though, most people found it horrendously difficult.

You could of course just get Fraleigh's book out of the library, it has it all and more.
Sooz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Algebra II I think is its replacement. Really the ANT material has been split across two courses, where most of the basics on groups seems to have been moved onto the Cryptography course. ANT wasn't going to last though, most people found it horrendously difficult.

You could of course just get Fraleigh's book out of the library, it has it all and more.
I may just read up on stuff like that but I think I would enjoy a lecture course on it. (Also slighty wanted to see what the course was like and if I had made the correct choice in avoiding it in second and by not doing it avoiding any sort of pure maths from then on.)
xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh this is cool :teeth: :slowpoke:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey–...louffe_formula
ForGreatJustice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
postin in da thread and it's all late and shizzle
My Alt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ForGreatJustice)
postin in da thread and it's all late and shizzle
Very cool. Churchill Spring Ball tonight, anyone coming. I suppose not, but hey, I will not have slept for 25 hours in lectures tomorrow.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh god, second semesters going horrible. Calc i dont understand, LA i dont understand, sequences is ok, matlabs easy but shall soon turn to stats. And I'm out far too much and on games far too much! Argh! I think "F It, 40%" is a very accurate description of how I feel right now
around
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
D&R examples sheets are depressing :<

too many vectors
Mr Dactyl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by around)
D&R examples sheets are depressing :<

too many vectors
Too many algebras.
ForGreatJustice
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just looked at analysis sheet 2 and all i can say is this:

wat
Dadeyemi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

wat
I really liked that sheet.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm going to start going to propositional logic lectures, although it a second year modular. But, lol if I can increase my logical capacity then maybe I can start to think better and yeah I'm too dumb at the moment, need to get smarter.

P.S. Lol, a alarm has been going for ten minutes, its ******* annoying. My bloody ears hurt. Some body needs to turn the damn alarm off, aaaaaarrrrrrrrrhgggggggggggghhhh hhhhhh. But, lol fire alarm turn off. Finally, it has stopped, but lol my ears are ringing.

P.P.S. Might sneak into other courses as well, hmm they can't possibiliy deduce and if I'm in the wrong lecture I will just lie and say I made a mistake or something like that.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by ste0731)
Oh god, second semesters going horrible. Calc i dont understand, LA i dont understand, sequences is ok, matlabs easy but shall soon turn to stats. And I'm out far too much and on games far too much! Argh! I think "F It, 40%" is a very accurate description of how I feel right now
calc, hmm how can't you understand that?

Hmm, LA is brillent. The best subject ever, one of the best lecturers ever.

Anyway, if you need help you can always ask me, particularly since I would have failed badly if you didn't help me on stats and numbers part of sets, numbers and functions.
ste0731
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
I'm going to start going to propositional logic lectures, although it a second year modular. But, lol if I can increase my logical capacity then maybe I can start to think better and yeah I'm too dumb at the moment, need to get smarter.

P.S. Lol, a alarm has been going for ten minutes, its ******* annoying. My bloody ears hurt. Some body needs to turn the damn alarm off, aaaaaarrrrrrrrrhgggggggggggghhhh hhhhhh. But, lol fire alarm turn off. Finally, it has stopped, but lol my ears are ringing.

P.P.S. Might sneak into other courses as well, hmm they can't possibiliy deduce and if I'm in the wrong lecture I will just lie and say I made a mistake or something like that.
I think the problem with that is that year 2 semester 2 have 15 options. (+ the option to take 20 credits elsewhere) Number of kids in year 2 divided by 15 times 6 will be a smallish number. And you may get spotted :cool: Could be fun though. Maybe just get all their notes (All accessable and just read through and do their example sheets/answers etc)

Hmm cheers, Ill bug you later today. I need to get calculas and Linear algebra week 3 done before 4pm so i can go foam party :woo:

edit: Tsr is depressing today xD all a load of freaks saying "i need to love someone". Just as annoying as facebook will become once everyone wakes up I bet.
around
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

wat
There are about 3-ish questions which are really hard and the rest are alright once you get the hang of epsilon-delta definitions

(i haven't and i had my supervision on analysis I 2 on monday :< )
Totally Tom
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Any chance you guys got a link to the assignment sheet online?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Totally Tom)
Any chance you guys got a link to the assignment sheet online?
http://www.yougotrickrolled.com/

here.
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/site2002/teaching.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads