Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Why does anyone have pride in a currency? It's simply a mechanism for transaction. Would you have pride in a piece of string were it used for such a purpose? The TSR Labour Party are pushing some odd ideas at the moment.
    What a freakishly affected manner of speech. You want us all to be patriotic zombies? Yay Britain yay, irrespective? Yay we bombed people? Yay British guns? What has happened to Labour's internationalism?
    I'd just like to say that Labour aren't "pushing some odd ideas". There's not many official party lines, I prefer to see the party as a collection of individuals joining together because they have a similar mindset. Each member is free to choose their views and the answers they give, and that may not be indicative of what the party in general thinks, and I'm more than happy to accept that. Each member speaks on behalf of themselves, as members of the Labour party. No one member speaks on behalf of the whole Labour party, as I like to give people certain fluidity in their views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I'd just like to say that Labour aren't "pushing some odd ideas". There's not many official party lines, I prefer to see the party as a collection of individuals joining together because they have a similar mindset. Each member is free to choose their views and the answers they give, and that may not be indicative of what the party in general thinks, and I'm more than happy to accept that. Each member speaks on behalf of themselves, as members of the Labour party. No one member speaks on behalf of the whole Labour party, as I like to give people certain fluidity in their views.
    Then it should be made clear to your respondents that they are speaking for themselves. If Labour wants us to patriotically wallow in the pound then admit it. If it is merely the bloke eho said it, then make that clear. Either way, I've seen clearer answers in a can of mushy peas.

ReputationRep:
    Then it should be made clear to your respondents that they are speaking for themselves. If Labour wants us to patriotically wallow in the pound then admit it. If it is merely the bloke eho said it, then make that clear. Either way, I've seen clearer answers in a can of mushy peas.
    Well I don't want to "wallow patriotically in the pound", as you put it. At the moment (and for the foreseeable future) I think we should keep the pound. Look at the mess caused by the Euro at the moment - until there's a much more aligned fiscal policy throughout Europe then I don't think the Euro is the best idea. If Europe were to become more aligned fiscally I'd be open to joining the Euro.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't usually defend Labour but they are right, we should be proud of our currency (the oldest still in use today). When you say we are wallowing in the pound does that mean you favour joining the Euro? (Sorry Labour for jumping in)

ReputationRep:
    I don't care whether people want to stay with the pound based on patriotism. We should be sticking with the pound based on common sense. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by changing currency.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't want to "wallow patriotically in the pound", as you put it. At the moment (and for the foreseeable future) I think we should keep the pound. Look at the mess caused by the Euro at the moment - until there's a much more aligned fiscal policy throughout Europe then I don't think the Euro is the best idea. If Europe were to become more aligned fiscally I'd be open to joining the Euro.
    Not according to your colleague who has completely dismissed everything I have said about the UK's Euro application.

Your open minded on the issue but your colleague is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lambert1)
    I don't care whether people want to stay with the pound based on patriotism. We should be sticking with the pound based on common sense. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by changing currency.
    Don't need to exchange the pound every visit to the Eurozone States

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Most people pay by card now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    I wouldn't usually defend Labour but they are right, we should be proud of our currency (the oldest still in use today). When you say we are wallowing in the pound does that mean you favour joining the Euro? (Sorry Labour for jumping in)
    I really don't see the purpose of supporting something like a currency with the kind of sentiments as Labour would have us feel. That doesn't mean I'm in favour of us joining the Euro, the dollar or the real. Patriotism is fine in football, the notion of it over currency is bizarre at best.

ReputationRep:
    Not according to your colleague who has completely dismissed everything I have said about the UK's Euro application.

Your open minded on the issue but your colleague is not.
    Ok, good for him. Everyone's entitled to their own views.

You could say I'm open minded on it, but as I said to adorno there'd need to be more aligned fiscal policy within Europe before I'd agree that it'd be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    QFA
    I agree with you about TSR Labour being inconsistent

ReputationRep:

You could say I'm open minded on it, but as I said to adorno there'd need to be more aligned fiscal policy within Europe before I'd agree that it'd be a good idea.
    So what is official policy then, his or yours?

There is talk of more integration especially fiscal

ReputationRep:

It will never be a good idea all it does is surrender the ability to set our own interest rates and decrease/increase the money supply to Europe. There would be no benefit to doing that.

ReputationRep:
    The question of joining is quite separate from patriotic fervour for the pound. I asked you why Labour promotes the latter and you give me an answer for the former! I support us joining the Euro when fiscal circumstances allow. The world is moving towards major currency blocks and it makes sense for us to be part of one. Keeping the pound now is good sense. But again, that wasn't what came out of Labour's original position.

ReputationRep:
    The question of joining is quite separate from patriotic fervour for the pound. I asked you why Labour promotes the latter and you give me an answer for the former! I support us joining the Euro when fiscal circumstances allow. The world is moving towards major currency blocks and it makes sense for us to be part of one. Keeping the pound now is good sense. But again, that wasn't what came out of Labour's original position.
    What would the benefits of doing that be?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Moving towards TSR UKIP style management then?

So the main advantage of joining the Euro is not economic, but convenience? Hardly a great reason for joining the Euro wouldn't you say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Moving towards TSR UKIP style management then?

So the main advantage of joining the Euro is not economic, but convenience? Hardly a great reason for joining the Euro wouldn't you say?
    Morgsie's right. Imagine you're China rather than a tourist...
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Morgsie's right. Imagine you're China rather than a tourist...
    I hardly think that it inconveniences China and others to convert their currency into the pound and the euro when dealing with the EU now does it? They've been doing it for years and years and now suddenly it's a problem? Seems a bit odd to me that they've dealt with different currencies before, but suddenly can't deal with them.

The argument that it would make it easier for people, countries etc when these different consumers have been using different currencies with no problems for their businesses etc for years just doesn't work in my eyes I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly think that it inconveniences China and others to convert their currency into the pound and the euro when dealing with the EU now does it? They've been doing it for years and years and now suddenly it's a problem? Seems a bit odd to me that they've dealt with different currencies before, but suddenly can't deal with them.

The argument that it would make it easier for people, countries etc when these different consumers have been using different currencies with no problems for their businesses etc for years just doesn't work in my eyes I'm afraid.
    And yet, it does. China has converted into a capitalist economy and one thing capitalists like above all else -profit. Why cut into such profits by wasting money on currency conversion?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say he may not agree with you there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.