Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my school just told me that I shouldn't take AS further maths because it might affect my other grades and they think I could get A*A*A (not that they'll predict me that), but I think it's more about their published results. To be honest I'd rather get A*AAa with a possibility of a second A*.
    My physics teacher told me it'd be too much work in the summer and it could lower my physics grade (I'm on 86%?).

I'm so pissed off. As far as I know they never discourage students from taking 4 A2s so why would they discourage me from doing AS further maths?! People with worse AS maths UMS than mine are doing the full further maths. It even got suggested that I should learn loads of maths and not take the exams. What's the point in that?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my school got hundreds of brand new lockers... But they also put new locks on each one of them (instead of using our own) for some reason so now they have told us we have to make a £20 refundable deposit in order to use them.... Why oh why >.<

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone help me out?. Basically, I did my As levels this year and I did decently (I got A B B D U) but the problem is that I wanted to go and do a biology degree at university but I got a D in Human biology and a U in chemistry so now I'm unsure on what I should do, I had a look at other things I could do as a degree with my other subjects but nothing really interests me and i really want to do a biology degree. I know that if I retake human biology I can do better but I dropped chemistry this year and I don't know of any universities that allow you to do a science degree with just biology, they usually ask for things like chemistry as well.
    any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    What?
    How is your maths department? Are the teachers more cooperative than Robbie's??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    So my school just told me that I shouldn't take AS further maths because it might affect my other grades and they think I could get A*A*A (not that they'll predict me that), but I think it's more about their published results. To be honest I'd rather get A*AAa with a possibility of a second A*.
    My physics teacher told me it'd be too much work in the summer and it could lower my physics grade (I'm on 86%?).

I'm so pissed off. As far as I know they never discourage students from taking 4 A2s so why would they discourage me from doing AS further maths?! People with worse AS maths UMS than mine are doing the full further maths. It even got suggested that I should learn loads of maths and not take the exams. What's the point in that?

Ugh they gave me the same exact reason for being so hostile against AS additional further maths, they have no faith in me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Not sure if that was worded correctly but I agree overall!
    I meant to say I agree your school is unfair for not paying to remark, then the rest I went on a mini-rant about remarks in general.

It's true - although we have successful oxbridge applicants every year, we have 1 or at max 2, and even then these students themselves have admitted they had to do a lot by themselves with a lack of core support from the school. Wow haha, nah my school is really...really bad
    We're good on the Russell Group side, but when it comes to Oxbridge we flop. Last year one for History and Politics to Oxford. Then again in the last few years we've had lots to Oxford but only one Maths guy to Cambridge. Other than that one off Mathematician, we don't have anyone going to highly competitive degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh they gave me the same exact reason for being so hostile against AS additional further maths, they have no faith in me!
    It's ridiculous how schools would actively block students from wanting to learn! Fair enough if you wanted to take 6 completely separate subjects, but AS AFM is just more maths and you reuse what you already know. I don't get it :confused:

• Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

I think my love for chemistry is coming back! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    True - but I really think the school should pay, how would this be fair if I was less financially stable than I am now?
    If that's the case then surely you can always apply for a bursary fund?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Woohoo! You're with me! I looove Chemistry but I tend to fail my favorite subjects and I don't even know why!
    BTW, Is there a chemistry A2 thread?

ReputationRep:
    is it normal to feel suddenly demotivated? I mean last year in yr 12 I used to be on top of things and actually wanted to revise and get good grades. Now I feel like I cant do anything and it annoys me because this year is soo important. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Took you long enough!

ReputationRep:
    Ah fair enough. Yeah I do and I've being to him before but not much has changed at all. and yeah they did, I was 5 ums of a 90 average in FM, with a remark in S1 I could get closer at least and have a streak of As in all my maths modules. Again I agree but 79 is quite a low score for a Cambridge applicant so I don't know but as 80 it just looks much nicer than 79 (plus all my other unis can see straight As in modules)

I bombed my S1 exam but I didn't bomb it by 15 marks, I thought by 13 marks so their is a potential to get an A
    How much is a remark? 20 pounds? Then maybe it's worth paying for it if the school doesn't want? Especially if you felt comfortable about stats and expected something better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    is it normal to feel suddenly demotivated? I mean last year in yr 12 I used to be on top of things and actually wanted to revise and get good grades. Now I feel like I cant do anything and it annoys me because this year is soo important. Any tips?
    You'll fail to get into university if you don't do well this year.
    On a more productive encouragement, why don't you start gently? There's every chance this is just a summer hangover. Just read over your notes or something, make sure you understand it all.
    If you're feeling academically bored why don't you get cracking on your personal statement instead to take your mind off things? Maybe that will also reignite your love of your subjects too

ReputationRep:
    Have my freshers tickets :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    You'll fail to get into university if you don't do well this year.
    On a more productive encouragement, why don't you start gently? There's every chance this is just a summer hangover. Just read over your notes or something, make sure you understand it all.
    If you're feeling academically bored why don't you get cracking on your personal statement instead to take your mind off things? Maybe that will also reignite your love of your subjects too

haha true. its just been a stressful summer. thanks and yeah I think just thinking about uni instead will motivate me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    How much is a remark? 20 pounds? Then maybe it's worth paying for it if the school doesn't want? Especially if you felt comfortable about stats and expected something better.
    I know that it is worth it but I think the school should personally be more supportive rather than only paying for resits for a few people because it fits into their criteria

ReputationRep:
    Is there a big difference between the word and line count on UCAS and MS Word? Help me please..

ReputationRep:
    I know that it is worth it but I think the school should personally be more supportive rather than only paying for resits for a few people because it fits into their criteria
    I guess they have quite a tight budget or something. But still, they should allow a remark for everyone who deservs it. Especially that you are an ambitious person and want to achieve something, your school should be more helpful. I just don't understand it. If the school helped more, they would have better results etc and which Headmaster doesn't want that?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Endless Blue)
    Is there a big difference between the word and line count on UCAS and MS Word? Help me please..
    Enter your PS into here: http://maccery.com/ps/ to get the line count and all

(Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Took you long enough!
    Indeed! :lol: To think I didn't like it for a while :facepalm:

(Original post by SyedaK)
    Woohoo! You're with me! I looove Chemistry but I tend to fail my favorite subjects and I don't even know why!
    BTW, Is there a chemistry A2 thread?
    Damn
    I haven't looked, but if there isn't, you'd be welcome to create one if you wish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.