Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    Apparently you can write a lot on solar eclipses, so I guess you could for lunar! They'd probably include why are they rare, how do they occur and outline briefly why are they different to solar.

Hmm okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfur)
    Not really been right, apart from 2/3 on P123 but I'll give it a go:

Cycle of stars
    Economic/social questions on observatories
    Explaining sun, stars and moon times/rotation ---> someone mentioned this one today
    OR, instead of the above question - lunar eclipses, since solar came up in June 2013.
    Is the economic social questions all about cost, work conditions,environmental/social impacts and benefits/negatives of each observatory style thing etc.?

And by explaining sun stars and moon rotation do you mean their orbits, uh the time it takes them, how they orbit (e.g. moon around sun at a tilt) blah blah? XD

And what can you say for 6 marks on lunar? Could you just say how the Earth is between the moon and sun, Earth casts shadow on moon, causes it to appear dark = lunar eclipse, doesn't happen all the time due to the tilt on the moons orbit?

Sorreh for long message x_x

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any links to past papers? c:
    Or is their a page on this forum where the links are lurking? XDD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandorax)
    Does anyone have any links to past papers? c:
    Or is their a page on this forum where the links are lurking? XDD
    Just type in on google p7 additional specimen ocr and click the first link

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how many marks do you think u need out of 180 to get an a star on the chemistry. i reaaly want one but i dont think i did very well in the exams:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know/can link me to where the old (2010/11/12) p7 papers are? The old spec ones for chemistry were quite useful

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got a better definition of "parallax angle"? CGPs is kind of badly worded IMO - "The parallax angle is half the angle moved against distant background stars over 6 months."

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please explain absorption spectra and emission spectra

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    has everyone finished revising from the cgp book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azo)
    Has anyone got a better definition of "parallax angle"? CGPs is kind of badly worded IMO - "The parallax angle is half the angle moved against distant background stars over 6 months."
    Basically you know how the earth moves due to the orbit? That means in each 6 months (through a year) you are at different places on the orbit of Earth. Because of this, you view the stars differently as you are looking at them from different angles. In order to find the parallax angle you simply find the stars location in the first six months, then find the stars location in the next six months. The lines you draw should cross at some point. That point is where the star is located. To find the parallax angle, you draw a middle line in between the two lines. That will then give you an angle (You have two triangle type things, you can use either)

The larger the angle, the closer the star is, the smaller the angle, the further away the star is.
    The parallax angle is basically the distance of a star from the earth using the process of parallax to find out.

Hope that helps?DX

ReputationRep:
    Basically you know how the earth moves due to the orbit? That means in each 6 months (through a year) you are at different places on the orbit of Earth. Because of this, you view the stars differently as you are looking at them from different angles. In order to find the parallax angle you simply find the stars location in the first six months, then find the stars location in the next six months. The lines you draw should cross at some point. That point is where the star is located. To find the parallax angle, you draw a middle line in between the two lines. That will then give you an angle (You have two triangle type things, you can use either)

The larger the angle, the closer the star is, the smaller the angle, the further away the star is.
    The parallax angle is basically the distance of a star from the earth using the process of parallax to find out.

Hope that helps?DX
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzyT17)
    Hi, do you have the p7 2013 exam and mark scheme that you could share with me? Thanks in advance
    Yes, I do. Here ya go!

And I have also uploaded my P7 revision guide!

I usually revise these things by writing up PowerPoints which I adapt from my revision guides. Saves me writing things out by hands.

I will warn you in advance this one is LONG and not terribly pretty, but some of you may find it useful for revision if you don't have a P7 revision guide or if you want my interpretation of the unit.

Hope you find it helpful!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf P7 June 2013 Markscheme.pdf (437.1 KB, 89 views)
  2. File Type: pdf P7 June 2013 [New Spec].pdf (138.5 KB, 76 views)
  3. File Type: pdf Physics P7 Revision Guide - The Student Room [Adapted from CGP OCR 21st Century GCSE Physics Rev.pdf (600.9 KB, 351 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JasonBrown2K14)
    Yes, I do. Here ya go!

I usually revise these things by writing up PowerPoints which I adapt from my revision guides. Saves me writing things out by hands.

I will warn you in advance this one is LONG and not terribly pretty, but some of you may find it useful for revision if you don't have a P7 revision guide or if you want my interpretation of the unit.

Thank you so very much! I just looked through your presentation and it's amazing, it has everything simplified. Thank you so much! I know I'm very annoying but apart from this paper and the specimen paper, we don't have anymore past papers do we?

ReputationRep:
    Why does red light refract the least?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone exp!ain retrograde motion to me? Can't get my head around it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. Here ya go!

Thankyou so much for uploading this!! Very very helpful!
    i just have one question on this slide:

What i dont understand is how the volume can increase if the temperature increases?
    Also, if the pressure increase does the volume increase
    im very confused on this
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do. Here ya go!

Hi, I seem to remember you posting the C7 past papers from the old spec? Do you know where I can get the p7 ones? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyjonesx)

What i dont understand is how the volume can increase if the temperature increases?
    im very confused on this
    Volume increases if temperature increases, because remember pressure is being kept constant. This means that if the temperature increases the particles will collide with the walls more frequently and with greater force (so the pressure would increase) so to stop the pressure going up (as it should be kept constant) then the volume has to be increased which means the walls are further apart so collisions are less frequent, and thus the pressure stays the same

If pressure increases then volume decreases, because as the temperature is constant the particles are moving at the same speed as before so for a greater force to be exerted on the walls the walls must be closer together.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Is the economic social questions all about cost, work conditions,environmental/social impacts and benefits/negatives of each observatory style thing etc.?

And by explaining sun stars and moon rotation do you mean their orbits, uh the time it takes them, how they orbit (e.g. moon around sun at a tilt) blah blah? XD

And what can you say for 6 marks on lunar? Could you just say how the Earth is between the moon and sun, Earth casts shadow on moon, causes it to appear dark = lunar eclipse, doesn't happen all the time due to the tilt on the moons orbit?

Sorreh for long message x_x
    1 - Yup, so Cost, Access, Social and Environment (CASE)
    2 - Exactly that
    3 - Exactly that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JazzyT17)
    Thank you so very much! I just looked through your presentation and it's amazing, it has everything simplified. Thank you so much! I know I'm very annoying but apart from this paper and the specimen paper, we don't have anymore past papers do we?
    Not any more from the new specification which we'll be sitting, BUT you can revise from the old spec papers because apart from question 1, the rest of the paper should still be relevant to P7.

(Original post by Amyjonesx)

im very confused on this
    Yes, basically Azo has the correct idea I think.

To quote the reivsion guide which the presentation was made from:

'If a gas stays at a constant pressure, then heating it up increases its volume - the molecules are further apart so collisions happen less frequently, but with more force because they have more kinetic energy.

Volume is proportional to absolute temperature. Doubling the temperature (Kelvin) doubles the volume.'

Hopefully that and Azo's explanation sums it up?

(Original post by azo)
    Hi, I seem to remember you posting the C7 past papers from the old spec? Do you know where I can get the p7 ones? Thanks
    Yes, below!

I haven't bothered with the inserts because they're not relevant to what we'll be doing tomorrow. You can ignore Q1 and do the rest of the paper to practice because the rest of the paper should still be relevant to P7.
    Attached Images
  4. File Type: pdf Physics P7 June 2008.pdf (155.6 KB, 225 views)
  5. File Type: pdf Physics June 2008 Series Markscheme (Incl. P7).pdf (750.8 KB, 354 views)
  6. File Type: pdf Physics P7 June 2010.pdf (138.4 KB, 107 views)
  7. File Type: pdf Physics P7 June 2010 Markscheme.pdf (161.7 KB, 126 views)
  8. File Type: pdf Physics P7 June 2011 Markscheme.pdf (126.6 KB, 137 views)
  9. File Type: pdf Physics P7 June 2011.pdf (162.7 KB, 80 views)

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.