Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rym4n)
    Hii there
    I was thinking about applying to Oxford for Medicine, really not too sure though after looking at statistics
    I have 6A* 5A with extenuating circumstances ( and also at a state school)
    4A at AS
    Predicted 4A* 1A in EPQ
    Any advice? Realistically
    Thank you!
    You could but honestly, I don't think it's worth it. The most recent statistics imply that someone with your GCSE profile has an exceedingly low chance of getting in. If this were any other subject I'd say there's no harm in giving it a go but for Medicine, I personally think putting Oxford down could be a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    You could but honestly, I don't think it's worth it. The most recent statistics imply that someone with your GCSE profile has an exceedingly low chance of getting in. If this were any other subject I'd say there's no harm in giving it a go but for Medicine, I personally think putting Oxford down could be a waste.
    Wouldn't their extenuating circumstances count for anything?

ReputationRep:
    So before I'll be to nervous about this because nobody else weighs in
    I already sent of my PPE application. I am german and Maths is compuslory here but I havent scored the best marks there. 10th form (- probably GCSE level -) I had the second best mark out of 6 and last year it was around 85%. In the TSAs I practiced with I did well in the Maths questions though. Do you think this will be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaxyBeast98)
    Hi, I'm applying for Maths at St Hugh's but I'm worried about my chances as my school haven't had a successful Oxford applicant in three years . I got 11A*s at GCSE and 4 As in AS Maths, Fmaths, Chemistry and Physics. Any advice would be appreciated
    If anything, your school's lack of success will increase your chances, not decrease them.

ReputationRep:
    For an Oxford mathematics interview, does anybody know what content the tutors will be limited too, do they ask questions about mechanics? statistics? or just focus on the Further Pure / Core modules?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlaneovertheSea)
    So before I'll be to nervous about this because nobody else weighs in
    I already sent of my PPE application. I am german and Maths is compuslory here but I havent scored the best marks there. 10th form (- probably GCSE level -) I had the second best mark out of 6 and last year it was around 85%. In the TSAs I practiced with I did well in the Maths questions though. Do you think this will be a problem?
    85% seems fine for Maths for a PPE applicant, just do well in the TSA obviously.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    Wouldn't their extenuating circumstances count for anything?
    Oxford Medicine is extremely competitive even with absolutely perfect scores in everything, you can see last year's statistics for yourself. I've got nothing to do with the Medical Sciences division so I guess you could argue that I don't know what I'm talking about but looking at the statistics, to me, I can't see how applying to Oxford for Medicine (probably the only subject where very good applicants can end up with 0 places) with that GCSE profile makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Oxford Medicine is extremely competitive even with absolutely perfect scores in everything, you can see last year's statistics for yourself. I've got nothing to do with the Medical Sciences division so I guess you could argue that I don't know what I'm talking about but looking at the statistics, to me, I can't see how applying to Oxford for Medicine (probably the only subject where very good applicants can end up with 0 places) with that GCSE profile makes sense.
    No I get that completely, I was just wondering if extenuating circumstances would play a role, especially for such a competitive course. Do extenuating circumstances not mean much for other courses too?

I don't have any but it does seem very unfair if not...

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs-4 A* 6 A
    A-Levels- history,eng lit, psychology and politics
    Course-Law
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    No I get that completely, I was just wondering if extenuating circumstances would play a role, especially for such a competitive course. Do extenuating circumstances not mean much for other courses too?

I don't have any but it does seem very unfair if not...
    They definitely do take extenuating circumstances into account, Medicine is just a pretty extreme example because to the best of my knowledge it's the only subject that takes GCSE results so incredibly seriously. For any other subject a less-than-spectacular GCSE profile probably wouldn't be the end of the world, particularly if you have extenuating circumstances (as several TSR users can testify) but given that it seems only a single person was admitted with their number of A*s and nobody with with their A* percentage, I wouldn't have thought that extenuating circumstances would make their odds a lot more optimistic. It could be that I'm completely wrong and that there was nobody in their position last year, I'm just saying that from my view, the odds don't look good enough to justify putting Oxford down as a choice.

Maybe they could email the department to ask if their application could be competitive with specific details of their circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drriversong)
    GCSEs-4 A* 6 A
    Course-Law
    Same course! Which college are you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovecathy)
    Same course! Which college are you applying to?
    Magdalen-what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCalver)
    For an Oxford mathematics interview, does anybody know what content the tutors will be limited too, do they ask questions about mechanics? statistics? or just focus on the Further Pure / Core modules?
    Haven't been a math interview, but from what I've heard they don't concentrate on any modules- the goal isn't to test what you know about what you have already been taught, but how you learn new things. In most subjects they deliberately give you materially that you *haven't* seen before. So, no there is no limit!

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 3A* 5A 2B
    A-Levels: English (A), History (A), Philosophy (A), French (C)
    Course: English
    College: Pembroke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drriversong)
    GCSEs-4 A* 6 A
    Course-Law
    If you don't mind me asking what were your AS results and what are your A level predictions?
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MintyMilk)
    If anything, your school's lack of success will increase your chances, not decrease them.
    Does Oxford see how many people your school has got in in recent years. My school got nobody into Oxbridge last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Does Oxford see how many people your school has got in in recent years. My school got nobody into Oxbridge last year.
    As far as I know, this is correct, yes. There is a massive spreadsheet detailing this info online (I'm sure someone could link it). It used be mentioned as part of the criteria for contextual flagging. From my scan read, I believe they've since removed it but they could still take it into account (they certainly used to)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlan)
    As far as I know, this is correct, yes. There is a massive spreadsheet detailing this info online (I'm sure someone could link it). It used be mentioned as part of the criteria for contextual flagging. From my scan read, I believe they've since removed it but they could still take it into account (they certainly used to)
    Thanks. I definitely think past Oxbridge success rates should be considered. I hope it's still used tbh. I feel like my chances are reduced because nobody from my school have got into Oxford recently. Probably not but I definitely feel at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I definitely think past Oxbridge success rates should be considered. I hope it's still used tbh. I feel like my chances are reduced because nobody from my school have got into Oxford recently. Probably not but I definitely feel at a disadvantage.
    Personally I would look at this in a totally different way. If you have a competitive application but your school never sends anybody to Oxbridge, then you have exceeded what anybody from your school has done before.

Kind of like getting straight As when normally students at your school get all Bs.

ReputationRep:
    Does Oxford see how many people your school has got in in recent years. My school got nobody into Oxbridgen last year.
    Yes this is taken into consideration and I seem to Recall there is actually a form to fill out for extenuating circumstances. They assess your successes by looking at the overall standard of your school and how many, if any, students got in in recent Years, considering th region and economic demographic which is intended to give those from a 'less advantaged' background a fairer chance for consideration.
    So basically. If your school had a bad rep and didn't do well in the exams for that year and years prior to it , it will work in your favour because you will stand outs quite so exceptional despite a disadvantage in education and also if your region is poor, that will help you further. It all gets considered carefully

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.