Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow this thread suddenly has got busy. Anyone heard anything from management?

ReputationRep:
    Selling popcorn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audi)
    Wow this thread suddenly has got busy. Anyone heard anything from management?

I'm waiting for that as well! Where are you at with the emails, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Im applying for maths with economics so does anyone know how competitive it is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xeniadmt)
    Hey guys! Im applying for maths with economics so does anyone know how competitive it is?
    Competitive

ReputationRep:
    My 2week extra waiting period cause of Christmas ends next week!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gg_ruan)
    I'm waiting for that as well! Where are you at with the emails, if you don't mind me asking?
    Glad to see I'm not the only one! I'm 8 weeks into the 10 weeks (Including the Xmas break additional 2 weeks) and you if you don't mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audi)
    Glad to see I'm not the only one! I'm 8 weeks into the 10 weeks (Including the Xmas break additional 2 weeks) and you if you don't mind?
    Finished my 8 weeks last weeks and in my first week of the the Xmas break one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xeniadmt)
    Im applying for maths with eco too, its very competitive in 2013 378 applicants were competing for only 31 places. How many weeks are you into your 8 week email and what are your stats if you don't me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pruthviamin)
    Im applying for maths with eco too, its very competitive in 2013 378 applicants were competing for only 31 places. How many weeks are you into your 8 week email and what are your stats if you don't me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm applying for maths and Economics AAAB at as predicted A*A*AB wbu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hjyu1)
    I'm applying for maths and Economics AAAB at as predicted A*A*AB wbu
    Nice aab at as predicted a*aaa

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I applied for law LLB on 13th January and got two e-mails, both two weeks instead of eight or four? The second one came yesterday, should I be worried? I`m an international applicant as well. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleksandra.M)
    Hi everyone!

I applied for law LLB on 13th January and got two e-mails, both two weeks instead of eight or four? The second one came yesterday, should I be worried? I`m an international applicant as well. :/
    Nah don't worry I got that before my 8 week email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hjyu1)
    Nah don't worry I got that before my 8 week email
    So did you get 2+2+8? Have you already received your answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleksandra.M)
    So did you get 2+2+8? Have you already received your answer?
    Yeah I got that and no I'm on 2+2+8+2

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audi)
    Haha yeah, we're not alone. I have a few friends applying for this course as well and still haven't heard anything other than the emails (part from one who got an offer back in Nov). I'm second week into the 4 weeks.. They're killing me slowly

ReputationRep:
    I received my rejection for Maths AND Economics this morning (Slightly different course). At AS Level I had 5As: Maths (A) Further Maths (A) Economics (A) Religious Studies (A) Physics (A) with a 96.5 UMS Average (Out of 100) across them. Additionally, I had a strong Personal Statement and a variety of academic/non-academic achievements. So yes, it is very competitive. I wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmirza96)
    I received my rejection for Maths AND Economics this morning (Slightly different course). At AS Level I had 5As: Maths (A) Further Maths (A) Economics (A) Religious Studies (A) Physics (A) with a 96.5 UMS Average (Out of 100) across them. Additionally, I had a strong Personal Statement and a variety of academic/non-academic achievements. So yes, it is very competitive. I wish you the best of luck.
    Me too! IB predicted 43/45, and PS was good too, according to our counselor.. It is super competitive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by powelsmartin)
    Hello.

I am new to this forum but I really really need HELP!

I hold offers from Oxford University for PPE and from LSE for Philosophy and Economics and I am having trouble to decide which one of them to select as my firm choice.

My school teachers are pushing me towards Oxford I think because it will look good for Ofsted and I feel like I have gone through a lot of trouble (TSA, interviews, etc) only for Oxford. Also when I was there the town felt enchanted.

But I feel that my heart lies with LSE. These are my reasons:

-The job prospects seem to be much better - the course, despite lacking compulsory politics, looks more interesting and applicable to today.
    -Despite Oxford's magical aura, I think London may be more advantageous at the end of the day - there is more to do on a daily basis and I can find a job more easily, both during my studies if I need to and afterwards.
    -Also I feel that LSE will provide me with a better student experience. Oxford's education from what I heard is overwhelming and you do not have time to enjoy yourself during your studies. The traditional aspect of Oxford (formal hall etc) looks appealing but I have been told that this is only interesting in the beginning.
    -The reputation of LSE is improving and of Oxford diminishing slowly from what I can see. I want to be ahead in life and so maybe LSE will be better for this.

As you can see, I personally prefer LSE but I am having trouble declining Oxford because of the "excitement" created around it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Martin
    Oxford PPE is the passport to power. A lot of the big names in British Politics have studied it - the incumbent Prime Minister is just one example. Ultimately, it is your decision to make however.

If it were up to me, despite acknowledging that the Oxford course is perhaps slightly more reputable, I would pick LSE - but only because my dad is a Cambridge alumnus and I've developed a strong aversion to Ox***d!!!

Well done on receiving your offers, and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.