Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    I assume that those who are getting their reports earlier are those who have FSBs to prepare for - for HR there's no other tests after FSAC so we're not a priority in terms of getting the information out, I suppose.
    Nope, I was an immediate pass and am still waiting for my scores so it isn't that.
    The person who received their results last week attended their FSAC on 12th March and is a Generalist (like me). So I'm still confused as to how they're deciding the order in which to release the reports!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salinkle_)
    So i know it's slightly early to be starting this thread, but as someone who hasn't applied before and is clueless on the process i was hoping i could get some hints/tips.
    I've read up on the basics and understand that it's not something you can jump into so i was wondering how exactly people go preparing for it? I have a standard graduate psychometric book although i understand that E-tray exercises are more fitting?
    Any help will be appreciated, and good luck for everyone applying to this years fast streams!
    Hi! I have just started to apply for stream 2 ANALYTICAL STREAM - STATISTICS. I did about 5 example tests from this online company assessmentday.co.uk. The verbal reasoning were almost the same as the ones used but the numerical reasoning were way harder, so don't be put off if you don't score that high, i would also say i passed both despite not finishing all the questions, so better to make sure you don't panic and get most of them right instead of stressing over the time factor.

Is anyone else applying for the STATISTICAL STREAM?!! I can't find any info anywhere on what kind of thing is expected in the application form and what to expect in the test I will face at the statistical assessment centre. Also I'm doing a PURE MATHS degree so I have done a fair bit of stats theory but ZERO practical statistics in the field!!! The application form seems to imply I need practical experience?! Any help from those who have been through it or heard about it please reply - worried
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJM34)
    Hi everyone,

I have my e-tray exercise coming up for the commercial fast stream. Does anyone know whether the e-tray exercises are specific to the fast stream we go for? Or is the same e-tray used for all the fast streams?

I basically want to know if I need to brush up on my maths of not...

Thanks
    I think it's the same e-tray for all streams. For that reason I don't think the e-tray will ever really require any specific knowledge, and the maths doesn't get any harder than what you find in the initial numerical test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdiAnl)
    Hi! I have just started to apply for stream 2 ANALYTICAL STREAM - STATISTICS. I did about 5 example tests from this online company assessmentday.co.uk. The verbal reasoning were almost the same as the ones used but the numerical reasoning were way harder, so don't be put off if you don't score that high, i would also say i passed both despite not finishing all the questions, so better to make sure you don't panic and get most of them right instead of stressing over the time factor.

Is anyone else applying for the STATISTICAL STREAM?!! I can't find any info anywhere on what kind of thing is expected in the application form and what to expect in the test I will face at the statistical assessment centre. Also I'm doing a PURE MATHS degree so I have done a fair bit of stats theory but ZERO practical statistics in the field!!! The application form seems to imply I need practical experience?! Any help from those who have been through it or heard about it please reply - worried
    I was successful for the GSS Fast Stream on the first round and am about to start my job next month. From speaking to other candidates at the Stats Assessment Centre I found that most were doing either maths, economics or stats degrees - so you are in good company. I had almost the opposite experience to you as I did a science degree not a stats or maths degree, but have used lots of stats in my research career.

On the form they are looking for examples of your practical (rather than theoretical) familiarity the stats techniques given. This experience does not have to be vocational though - you can discuss how you have used them in projects/exercises in your degree. The important part is to show the practical/real world usefulness of the stats, not just how they work in theory; in your examples explain what real world questions were you answering, how did you carry out the analyses, what kind of data did you use, what was the (potential) impact of the results etc.

At the stats assessment centre interview there were questions about how the stats work and how they are applied to public policy issues. They cover a number of the examples you give, so it is important to be conversant in everything you put on the form. There will also be questions directly related to the role of stats in the civil service, so do you research about the work of the GSS. The exercises all emphasise using stats to draw conclusions from data and your ability to present these conclusions accurately and concisely. In the same way as the FSAC you get a formal feedback sheet with your strengths and weaknesses. I found it really useful.

I hope this is useful - I'd definitely give it a shot, just remember to think about how the civil service uses stats and give them evidence to show you understand that. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdiAnl)

Just my opinion, but if you have a pure math degree you might want to focus on OR instead - the statistical application form does require you to discuss situations in which you used all the statistical methods they mention (e.g., during course projects, a master thesis or a PhD). OR seems to be more targeted towards quantitative people who can do serious modelling... (I'm finishing my PhD in a business discipline and I'm applying for both.)

Anyone knows when we will hear whether we (round 2 analytical applicants) got past the sift? I completed it last month and I thought we'd be hearing shortly after the 7 April deadline, but it turns out that deadline was only for registering - so people who registered at the last minute have two more weeks to fill the application form (one week for the test and one week for the form itself). I'm getting closer and closer to an offer with other jobs so it seems a bit silly to wait for the fast stream if I don't even hear anything from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roeslein)
    Just my opinion, but if you have a pure math degree you might want to focus on OR instead - the application form does require you to discuss situations in which you used all the statistical methods they mention (e.g., during courses or a PhD). They don't ask about whether you know the theory behind them. OR seems to be more targeted towards maths people who can do serious modelling... (I'm finishing my PhD in a business discipline and I'm applying for both.)Anyone knows when we will hear whether we (round 2 analytical applicants) got past the sift? Do we have to wait until the people who registered at the last minute finish their application form, i.e. two weeks from now? I completed it last month and I'm getting a bit tired of waiting to be honest... Also I'm getting closer and closer to an offer with other jobs so it seems a bit silly to wait for the fast stream if I don't even hear anything from them.
    I don't have the answers to your questions, but I will say that the fast stream application process takes months and you will probably have long waits between each stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f.burton)
    Hmm... I don't think that can be why, as I passed immediately (I found out on 11th Feb)!
    do you have your score and report already? what stream are you on?

This thread gets so confusing as many of you are on separate streams which are mutually exclusive of each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    I don't have the answers to your questions, but I will say that the fast stream application process takes months and you will probably have long waits between each stage.
    I know. I'm just too impatient for this job. More power to those who actually manage to wait until after the 2nd round FSACs in July without taking any other offer - personally I'm way too risk-averse so I doubt I'll pull it off. I'd be too scared of ending up without a job in September...

(They're probably losing quite a few decent candidates this way, especially in the second round.)

ReputationRep:
    I know. I'm just too impatient for this job. More power to those who actually manage to wait until after the 2nd round FSACs in July without taking any other offer - personally I'm way too risk-averse so I doubt I'll pull it off. I'd be too scared of ending up without a job in September...

(They're probably losing quite a few decent candidates this way, especially in the second round.)
    I'm sure that there are several who drop out - although the second intake only exists for a few streams. Certainly there's a risk associated with waiting for it, but I suppose that you need to have a passion for the civil service/public sector to do these jobs anyway so perhaps they hope that the ones with that passion will wait for the process to finish. You can always get into the civil service later after working in the private sector anyway, so if someone gets a better offer while waiting for the CS there's nothing wrong with just taking it, especially considering the negative aspects of this scheme (low pay, requirement to move around between postings etc).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Given how relatively late in the day it opens up, I think the second round is probably mainly targeted at people who haven't had any other job offers? (I definitely agree that the waiting is exasperating though--it's been nearly three months since my FSAC (CD) and I'm still waiting for an answer!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d41k57)
    I was successful for the GSS Fast Stream on the first round and am about to start my job next month. From speaking to other candidates at the Stats Assessment Centre I found that most were doing either maths, economics or stats degrees - so you are in good company. I had almost the opposite experience to you as I did a science degree not a stats or maths degree, but have used lots of stats in my research career.

On the form they are looking for examples of your practical (rather than theoretical) familiarity the stats techniques given. This experience does not have to be vocational though - you can discuss how you have used them in projects/exercises in your degree. The important part is to show the practical/real world usefulness of the stats, not just how they work in theory; in your examples explain what real world questions were you answering, how did you carry out the analyses, what kind of data did you use, what was the (potential) impact of the results etc.

At the stats assessment centre interview there were questions about how the stats work and how they are applied to public policy issues. They cover a number of the examples you give, so it is important to be conversant in everything you put on the form. There will also be questions directly related to the role of stats in the civil service, so do you research about the work of the GSS. The exercises all emphasise using stats to draw conclusions from data and your ability to present these conclusions accurately and concisely. In the same way as the FSAC you get a formal feedback sheet with your strengths and weaknesses. I found it really useful.

I hope this is useful - I'd definitely give it a shot, just remember to think about how the civil service uses stats and give them evidence to show you understand that. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the advice. I think basically I will do the opposite of you- try to apply the real world to the theory and made up examples I have from lectures... Not too sure what to say about the questions about the GSS their info on their website is very vague and general. I guess I will wing it and hope for the best!! Nose to the grindstone anyway as I am in my final year of my maths degree with assignments and exams looming...so I'll just have to rattle something off. Can't really risk dropping a grade now!!!

I'm one of those who applied last minute and the deadline for my application form is April 15 so I guess the 2nd rounders will all know soon after that if they're through to the next phase...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shera123)
    Great! Thanks for this, I'll keep an eye on it today as they're off as of tomorrow for Easter so won't hear anything otherwise until Tuesday! Was your report fairly helpful? What date is ur FSB?
    Sorry I've only just seen this! Did you get your report? I think the report was actually quite useful, and I actually got better feedback for some of the stuff I thought I did terribly in. Apparently I did worst in e-tray written exercise, which I'm not surprised at because for some reason the e-tray seems to be my biggest barrier on FS for some unknown reason! My FSB is 6th May. When is yours?

ReputationRep:

Take it from me - after I graduated I ended up without a job in the September, and it wasn't that bad. I know it's scary having that big unknown, and it is better if you have something lined up, but if you don't it's not the end of the world so don't let it dishearten you. That said, I'm sure you will end up with something, and if you do get offered something else in the meantime it just gives you more options!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebird82)
    do you have your score and report already? what stream are you on?

This thread gets so confusing as many of you are on separate streams which are mutually exclusive of each other.
    I'm on the Generalist scheme, and no I'm still waiting for my score/report - I had my FSAC on 5th February and I was an immediate pass, so I'm trying to work out the logic behind other Generalists getting there reports back already despite attending the FSAC way after I did!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the Generalist scheme, and no I'm still waiting for my score/report - I had my FSAC on 5th February and I was an immediate pass, so I'm trying to work out the logic behind other Generalists getting there reports back already despite attending the FSAC way after I did!
    I don't see what the problem is. You passed, you have a job, you will receive your feedback very soon. Just chill and be grateful! (and don't waste Parity's time whilst they still need to put us amber banders out of our misery, ha!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauws)
    I don't see what the problem is. You passed, you have a job, you will receive your feedback very soon. Just chill and be grateful! (and don't waste Parity's time whilst they still need to put us amber banders out of our misery, ha!)
    Wow, patronising or what. Please don't tell me what to do. I'm not wasting anyone's time - what makes you think I have contacted Parity about this at all?

I'm entitled to use this thread to find out information in just the same way that you are.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, patronising or what. Please don't tell me what to do. I'm not wasting anyone's time - what makes you think I have contacted Parity about this at all?

I'm entitled to use this thread to find out information in just the same way that you are.
    It was a joke.

This was suggested by the 'ha!' at the end. You may or may not have contacted Parity ( another joke ) although I'm assuming from a response as reactionary as that you definitely have because you would have almost certainly loved to tell me how wrong I was if you hadn't.

Was just comparing the privileged position of worrying about the things after you've passed vis a vis worrying about whether you've passed at alll.

Sorry for being so patronising. (ha!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauws)
    It was a joke.

This was suggested by the 'ha!' at the end. You may or may not have contacted Parity ( another joke ) although I'm assuming from a response as reactionary as that you definitely have because you would have almost certainly loved to tell me how wrong I was if you hadn't.

Was just comparing the privileged position of worrying about the things after you've passed vis a vis worrying about whether you've passed at alll.

Sorry for being so patronising. (ha!)
    Great jokes. Since you're so worried about it, let me reassure you that I haven't contacted them.

I might be in a more fortunate position than you, but there is no need to be bitter about it, is there?

ReputationRep:
    Great jokes. Since you're so worried about it, let me reassure you that I haven't contacted them.

I might be in a more fortunate position than you, but there is no need to be bitter about it, is there?
    You are right, I am so bitter. Just check the multiple posts I have made on this thread congratulating those who have been successful at different junctures whilst I remained amber banded.

I'm really bored talking to you now, sorry. You just jumped the gun a bit in your first post that's all, you won't admit it and now I'm bitter apparently. I hope you get all the information you need and deserve with requisite haste, I may even contact Parity myself and tell them to get a move on and then you can stop boring me to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauws)
    You are right, I am so bitter. Just check the multiple posts I have made on this thread congratulating those who have been successful at different junctures whilst I remained amber banded.

I'm really bored talking to you now, sorry. You just jumped the gun a bit in your first post that's all, you won't admit it and now I'm bitter apparently. I hope you get all the information you need and deserve with requisite haste, I may even contact Parity myself and tell them to get a move on and then you can stop boring me to death.
    Boring you to death? You are the one who felt the need to needlessly criticize me for asking for information. Maybe you should have saved your breath. Bye.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.