Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    The AR was fairly similar I found, the quant in the real thing was easier in my opinion, verbal a bit harder
    Ah thanks, that's reassuring; my strongest is always verbal so that's okay last year i got 550 on AR and QR, dreading it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HiraMunawar)
    Ah thanks, that's reassuring; my strongest is always verbal so that's okay last year i got 550 on AR and QR, dreading it now
    Yeah but don't just neglect verbal - that was my mistake! Was getting up to 750 in practice sessions but only got 610 on the day! Averaged at 713 though so it was ok in the end XD

ReputationRep:
    VR is killing me

Is it possible to get a good mark whilst you run out of time 3/4 of the way through?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newera)
    oh my looord i really hope the QR isn't as difficult as the QR in official mock A! i got 11/36
    lol don't worry I only got 6/36 in that one!
    I just cannot do QR!
    Which sucks cuz I am am doing maths and further maths A levels and have never really had a problem with either...

Is anyone going to have a good go at decision making or just skip through it? I want to have a go,but don't want to tire myself out either...

ReputationRep:
    Guys im in need of help. My ukcat is in exactly one week and im terrible at verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning...i can barely finish half of the questions in the allocated time on the medify mocks and ive been practicing around an hour a day for 2 weeks!! Any help...tips...tricks or advice would be amazing. Worried af that im gonna mess this up. Most recent mock: QR 450 VR 530 AR 600 SJT band 2 using medify q's helpmeeeee

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

congrats to those who have already done the UKCAT

I have a few questions,

1. Is it not possible to bring in your own calculator because when I do QR tests I run out of time because it takes so long to press buttons on computer screen
    2. any tips for how to make sure you do all qs in timed conditions especially QR
    3. I know we are given a booklet for working out, is the space limited or can we use as much as we want.

please answer!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hkw23)
    Hey guys,

congrats to those who have already done the UKCAT

I have a few questions,

1. Is it not possible to bring in your own calculator because when I do QR tests I run out of time because it takes so long to press buttons on computer screen
    2. any tips for how to make sure you do all qs in timed conditions especially QR
    3. I know we are given a booklet for working out, is the space limited or can we use as much as we want.

please answer!!

Thanks
    You're not allowed your own calculator, however, you can use the keyboard for the onscreen calculator. Just make sure that Num Lock is turned on, so you can use the Numpad.

With practice, you should be able to do questions quicker, and be able to do them all. However, you do not need to do all the questions to be able to do well. Focus on doing doing of the questions correctly, as opposed to rushing through them all and performing badly as a result.

You can ask for extra booklets, but you have 6 sides of A4 paper, so it should be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    You're not allowed your own calculator, however, you can use the keyboard for the onscreen calculator. Just make sure that Num Lock is turned on, so you can use the Numpad.

With practice, you should be able to do questions quicker, and be able to do them all. However, you do not need to do all the questions to be able to do well. Focus on doing doing of the questions correctly, as opposed to rushing through them all and performing badly as a result.

You can ask for extra booklets, but you have 6 sides of A4 paper, so it should be enough.
    Thanks you!

Any other tips?

ReputationRep:
    1. Guys im in need of help. My ukcat is in exactly one week and im terrible at verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning...i can barely finish half of the questions in the allocated time on the medify mocks and ive been practicing around an hour a day for 2 weeks!! Any help...tips...tricks or advice would be amazing. Worried af that im gonna mess this up. Most recent mock: QR 450 VR 530 AR 600 SJT band 2 using medify q's helpmeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    Yes. I found the passages much longer and harder (especially the 8th mock) but they've helped in my VR substantially as I just got my first 800 for it (was previously getting between 670-700). The AR and QR are generally at the same difficulty as 1-6. I would personally get it for the VR.
    Thanks for the reply

Was the UKCAT plus book itself any good? How long did it take to come as my exam is in 12 days. I have already spent quite a bit on Medify and of course the Kaplan course already, in addition to two ukcat books (ISC & Kaplan), but from the jump you got in VR it seems worth it!

When's your UKCAt and what else have you used? I might give Medic Portal a try as I have used most of the practice questions for AR and most of VR on Medify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saran23)
    VR is killing me

Is it possible to get a good mark whilst you run out of time 3/4 of the way through?
    Keep practising, triage any hard questions esp 'conclusion' ones and just give them an educated guess and flag it... Especially if you can't solve it in 20-25 sec or if it's super complicated!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used / is currently using 6med's UKCAT ninja resource?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    Thanks for the reply

Was the UKCAT plus book itself any good? How long did it take to come as my exam is in 12 days. I have already spent quite a bit on Medify and of course the Kaplan course already, in addition to two ukcat books (ISC & Kaplan), but from the jump you got in VR it seems worth it!

When's your UKCAt and what else have you used? I might give Medic Portal a try as I have used most of the practice questions for AR and most of VR on Medify.
    I had the e-book so I didn't have the physical book. I didn't find it as good as the main Kaplan book as the activities were a little easier with the exception of AR (which is again good practice). There is also not as many activities as in the first Kaplan book. But yeah, I feel so much more confident with it! Mine is on Tuesday haha but I feel like I will fail it when the day comes (my average fluctuates very radically). The Medic Portal is good actually. The questions are a little trickier than Medify I thought and the mocks are completely useless however (they just recycle questions that you'll have already practiced with). It is good practice. EMedica is great for VR as well but the AR and QR become a little obscure for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Which resource would you say is most representative for AR, because I'm getting 700s for AR in Medify and Kaplan but I don't know whether the questions are too easy. Also, what scores were you getting in your Kaplan mocks?
    erm i'd say Medify. I'd say that the medify AR has a mix of easy and hard and as long as you're getting most of the hard ones right and getting in the 700s im sure you'll be fine. In my Kaplan I was getting 600's and in one i even got 500! In medify I was getting slightly higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    erm i'd say Medify. I'd say that the medify AR has a mix of easy and hard and as long as you're getting most of the hard ones right and getting in the 700s im sure you'll be fine. In my Kaplan I was getting 600's and in one i even got 500! In medify I was getting slightly higher
    What did you get in the actual exam?

ReputationRep:
    1. Guys im in need of help. My ukcat is in exactly one week and im terrible at verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning...i can barely finish half of the questions in the allocated time on the medify mocks and ive been practicing around an hour a day for 2 weeks!! Any help...tips...tricks or advice would be amazing. Worried af that im gonna mess this up. Most recent mock: QR 450 VR 530 AR 600 SJT band 2 using medify .. Help please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    What did you get in the actual exam?
    710 average
    VR: 630
    QR: 710
    AR: 790
    SJT: 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kings_queens)
    710 average
    VR: 630
    QR: 710
    AR: 790
    SJT: 2
    Wow great score, and btw how representative is Kaplan of the real test? I've been getting between 700-747 on the Kaplan mocks, not sure how realistic this actually is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    Wow great score, and btw how representative is Kaplan of the real test? I've been getting between 700-747 on the Kaplan mocks, not sure how realistic this actually is
    well my mocks weren't realistic as i reached 100 higher in the real exam.. if you're getting high i guess that's a good sign!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    Yeah but don't just neglect verbal - that was my mistake! Was getting up to 750 in practice sessions but only got 610 on the day! Averaged at 713 though so it was ok in the end XD
    Oh damn, that was unfortunate but over 700 is

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.