The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fabbykadabra
Hey! I am coming to UEA this September for a nursing course (unconditional offer, it is my first choice so definitely coming) and wondering about accommodation. For personal reasons I would not feel comfortable at all without an ensuite room.. and because I am doing a nursing course where the terms are longer, I think the village would be the more affordable option. I also like the idea of smaller flats, and when I went to look at it.. it seemed nice. There is some kind of river behind it, which is cool..

Anyway my questions I guess were
a) what are the chances of getting my first choice accommodation? the campus ensuite will be my second choice but I don't want to be spending that much..
b) had anyone staying in the village/know what it is like? is it nice?

The village is nice :tongue: *bias*
I think it's like 70% get their top choice, and 90% in their top three, however I think because you're a nursing student you'd be more likely to get one of your top choices as youre limited on the number of buildings you could be put in? But that's a guess, I'm not sure if that's what really happens. As they try and put roughly half nursing/med students in a flat so youre not alone in your flat when the other students are away.
I currently live in the village, and if you like the idea of smaller flats I'm guessing you'll like the idea that it also gets you away from campus at the end of each day too :tongue: Also Earlham Park is just across the road from the village. The rooms are a bit smaller than the ensuites on campus, but they're cosy. There's an abundance of storage space in your bedroom and the kitchens (which actually look like kitchens compared to the metal things on campus) The bathroom at first seems a little small but it does the job and paying extra money for a bigger one doesn't make sense imo, when that money can be used for other things. The only thing I'd say for a nursing student you're building is the complete other side of campus so you have about a 25/30min walk (but I've always done that going via campus) I'm sure if you have a bike it'd be quicker to carry on down Earlham Road then onto Colney Lane. The only residence closer is Norfolk Terrace but you want an en-suite.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by makingamemory
The village is nice :tongue: *bias*
I think it's like 70% get their top choice, and 90% in their top three, however I think because you're a nursing student you'd be more likely to get one of your top choices as youre limited on the number of buildings you could be put in? But that's a guess, I'm not sure if that's what really happens. As they try and put roughly half nursing/med students in a flat so youre not alone in your flat when the other students are away.
I currently live in the village, and if you like the idea of smaller flats I'm guessing you'll like the idea that it also gets you away from campus at the end of each day too :tongue: Also Earlham Park is just across the road from the village. The rooms are a bit smaller than the ensuites on campus, but they're cosy. There's an abundance of storage space in your bedroom and the kitchens (which actually look like kitchens compared to the metal things on campus) The bathroom at first seems a little small but it does the job and paying extra money for a bigger one doesn't make sense imo, when that money can be used for other things. The only thing I'd say for a nursing student you're building is the complete other side of campus so you have about a 25/30min walk (but I've always done that going via campus) I'm sure if you have a bike it'd be quicker to carry on down Earlham Road then onto Colney Lane. The only residence closer is Norfolk Terrace but you want an en-suite.

Thanks for all your help this was really useful :smile: I will certainly be bringing a bike to uni with me so I should be okay on that front; and smaller rooms don't phase me at all. I really hope I am in that 70%!
OH one more question, what are the nearest shops/supermarkets to the Village (and the other ensuite accommodation) and how local are they? I need to know where I'll be buying my food from :P
OH one more question, what are the nearest shops/supermarkets to the Village (and the other ensuite accommodation) and how local are they? I need to know where I'll be buying my food from :P

There is a 24hr Tesco express down the road from the village (about a 5 minute walk) which is very useful as it is always open (including Sundays). There is also a co-op behind that (so also a 5 minute walk) which is open until 10 on most nights. Neither is particularly big but has a reasonable amount of choice in. There is also the UFO (Union Food Outlet) on campus which again doesn't have a huge range but is quite good.

For bigger shops I would suggest catching the bus to Morrisons down by the train station or getting a supermarket delivery - I had an Asda delivery a few times while living in the Village that worked out well for me.
(edited 12 years ago)

There is a co-op on campus which is good for things you've run out of (its the UFO), it does a fair ammount of food but its not the cheapest. There is also a Tesco Express about a 5-10 min walk from campus, again not the cheapest, but then Tesco Expresses never are. There is a normal size Coop half way between uni and the city and an Aldi somewhere which a friend of mine goes to but I'm not exactly sure where.And a Morrisons opposite the train station which is a 25 mins bus ride from the uni. Personally I get my food delivered from Tesco- it costs £3.00 for the cheapest slot but its worth it IMO as I only have to carry my bags up the stairs and I order 2 weeks worth of food at a time so I only need to buy milk and the odd lunch from uni. And the clubcard points are always a bonus. Asda deliever on campus/to village as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Deliveries sound like a very good plan. I may just do that.. I eat a lot. xD
Original post by jelly1000
There is a co-op on campus which is good for things you've run out of (its the UFO), it does a fair ammount of food but its not the cheapest. There is also a Tesco Express about a 5-10 min walk from campus, again not the cheapest, but then Tesco Expresses never are. There is a normal size Coop half way between uni and the city and an Aldi somewhere which a friend of mine goes to but I'm not exactly sure where.And a Morrisons opposite the train station which is a 25 mins bus ride from the uni. Personally I get my food delivered from Tesco- it costs £3.00 for the cheapest slot but its worth it IMO as I only have to carry my bags up the stairs and I order 2 weeks worth of food at a time so I only need to buy milk and the odd lunch from uni. And the clubcard points are always a bonus. Asda deliever on campus/to village as well.

Aldi is supposed to be kinda parallel to Tescos/Coop, but on Dereham Road, never been though.

There's also supposed to be a few shops further down Wilberforce road (main road the village is on)...although I've never been that far down that road to see if its true. Someone told me on the Megabus back once.

Thanks for all your help this was really useful :smile: I will certainly be bringing a bike to uni with me so I should be okay on that front; and smaller rooms don't phase me at all. I really hope I am in that 70%!

no problem! :smile:
Aldi is supposed to be kinda parallel to Tescos/Coop, but on Dereham Road, never been though.

There's also supposed to be a few shops further down Wilberforce road (main road the village is on)...although I've never been that far down that road to see if its true. Someone told me on the Megabus back once.

I've walked all the way down Wilberforce Road and the only shop on it is a corner shop which mainly does snacks and alcohol
Reply 2848

You go about 2 minutes max down and take a right and you come on to a roundabout with a few corner shop type things, and I think a takeaway too.

I agree delivery is probably the best option, you'll save the delivery cost by avoiding impulse buys and getting better deals than in smaller shops. All the supermarkets are in Norwich so you have plenty of choice. There is a Sainsbury's right near the town centre so you could get there using the same bus as to the Morrisons. There is also a big Asda, which is also accessible by bus but involves a change in town so is a bit more hassle than it's worth.

Aldi is further than you'd want to go, it's quite far down Dereham Road away from the centre (which is a very long road!). There's a lidl too on the opposite side of Dereham Road to campus, in the direction of ASDA, but involves the same swapping as ASDA.

xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Eep I have yet another question.. which may sounds silly but oh well..
How much closet space is there in the village accommodation?
I have.... a LOT of clothes. I'm trying to get an idea of how much I will have to sacrifice... :frown:
Eep I have yet another question.. which may sounds silly but oh well..
How much closet space is there in the village accommodation?
I have.... a LOT of clothes. I'm trying to get an idea of how much I will have to sacrifice... :frown:

Lets just say I had two suitcases...four large vacuum bag thingys and 2 binliners of shoes and these all fit into the wardrobe with lots of room to spare (i'm short and cant reach the top shelf without a chair so just store cleaning/boxes/bags up there) there are also 3...or 4? shelves right at the back of the wardrobe. Then there's also a deep drawer under the desk that you could use to store clothes...and also a shallow one if youre desperate. There's also room under the desk or next to the desk if you want to get one of those plastic storage shelves. The wardrobe nearly spans the whole height of the room and is as long as a single bed. If you can't fit all of your clothes in it then you must have enough to open up a shop lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Wow okay big wardrobe. This is good news! I won't have to sell all my clothing. :biggrin: Is there a decent amount of hanging space? I have a rather extensive collection of shirts and jackets. xD
Wow okay big wardrobe. This is good news! I won't have to sell all my clothing. :biggrin: Is there a decent amount of hanging space? I have a rather extensive collection of shirts and jackets. xD

haha it looks tiny, but the thing is like a tardis *awkward nerd joke*
There's a rail and you can fit a decent amount on there, the only problem is if you hang too much it makes it a pain to get to the shelves behind. One of my flatmates has one of those plastic hook over the door hanger things on their wardrobe for more space to hang things up.
haha it looks tiny, but the thing is like a tardis *awkward nerd joke*
There's a rail and you can fit a decent amount on there, the only problem is if you hang too much it makes it a pain to get to the shelves behind. One of my flatmates has one of those plastic hook over the door hanger things on their wardrobe for more space to hang things up.

Gotta love awkward nerd jokes! And that sounds awesome. I'll probably bring up like half my clothes to start with, then another batch over a weekend once I judge exactly how roomy the tardis-wardrobe is :P
Gotta love awkward nerd jokes! And that sounds awesome. I'll probably bring up like half my clothes to start with, then another batch over a weekend once I judge exactly how roomy the tardis-wardrobe is :P

haha, the thing I find about having loads of clothes is that you (or shall I say I) get lazy when you have lots of deadlines at once so you find you have enough clothes to last about a month. Then it gets the point that by the time you have to do your washing you take up at least three washing machines :tongue:
But if you do get the village I find the best time to go to the launderette is either 10-11am on a weekday or even before that, or after 9pm especially if you want to use more than one machine. as its dead in there then, no awkward queues waiting for a machine.

One thing i'd suggest is bring clothes for all seasons, when we got here in October we had a freak heatwave and whilst we were on fieldtrips some people didn't have shorts so were dying being in the sun all day in jeans/tracksuits.
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha I will be sure to bring a nice variety in that case :P

So one more question as I'm in the process of filling in the form now.. if I have a specific reason for wanting a certian room type is it enough to just mention this on the application? (there is a section "Do you have any illness, disability, or special requirement relevant to your accommodation needs?") Or would it be better to email someone directly?

Oh.. also are the flats all mixed or are they separated into male/female?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2856

So one more question as I'm in the process of filling in the form now.. if I have a specific reason for wanting a certian room type is it enough to just mention this on the application? (there is a section "Do you have any illness, disability, or special requirement relevant to your accommodation needs?") Or would it be better to email someone directly?

They are mixed :smile:

you have to send a reasonable adjustments form to the Dean of Students office, as well as letter from your GP or educational psychologist highlighting your need.
http://www.uea.ac.uk/services/students/disability/applicants

Pretty much all the flats are mixed sex here, although there may be a few single sex (possibly for the Muslim minority)
Reply 2858
Hi, on the online form, its telling me I have to rank all 7 options in preference order, is this correct or do you only have to rank your top 3 choices? Can anyone who has alrady applied help me?
I'll hopefully be at UEA in September, studing International Development, really looking forward to it! Think the Village is going to be my top choice.
Original post by jake862
Hi, on the online form, its telling me I have to rank all 7 options in preference order, is this correct or do you only have to rank your top 3 choices? Can anyone who has alrady applied help me?
I'll hopefully be at UEA in September, studing International Development, really looking forward to it! Think the Village is going to be my top choice.

Yep you have to rank all of the options. and good choice picking the village :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending