Turn on thread page Beta

The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will95206)
    We need to support the Unionist in NI though!
    I support British unification everywhere (hell, i'd support absorbing Ireland back into the fold) but that does not mean that i consider NI and Wales to be parasites that offer no meaningful benefit.

ReputationRep:
    We need to support the Unionist in NI though!
    Why? NI is more trouble than it's worth. If it was up to me then we would tell NI we don't want them anymore and they can either become independent or join with Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    Why? NI is more trouble than it's worth. If it was up to me then we would tell NI we don't want them anymore and they can either become independent or join with Ireland.

Here here. If the unionists love the Queen so bloody much then they're more than welcome to move over here. That way Ireland can unite and the entire stupid mess will be over.

ReputationRep:
    They have a right to living in Northern Ireland as Ulster-men, I do agree in that a referendum can be made and used but we must respect their democratic right to stay in NI if the voted to (the UUP, DUP, TUV, UKIP, NI21 and Alliance all would)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I support British unification everywhere (hell, i'd support absorbing Ireland back into the fold) but that does not mean that i consider NI and Wales to be parasites that offer no meaningful benefit.
    Much agreed Rakas! May the Union live on!

I definitely feel that there should be an English Parliament though considering NI, Scotland and Wales have there own devolved institutions, based in Manchester or Birmingham - make the UK federal.

I'd also like to see Crown Dependencies being granted MPs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Interesting that whatever happens to NI in the long term this is unlikely to change either, as the Republic has what are some of the most radical anti-abortion laws in Europe.
    aye, such a shame, hopefully eventually things move on though

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly impartial given your support for Scotland leaving the union. It's better on a global level to be a large country with a poor region or two than to break down into wealthy city states.

(Original post by MacDaddi)
    I definitely feel that there should be an English Parliament though considering NI, Scotland and Wales have there own devolved institutions, based in Manchester or Birmingham - make the UK federal.

In principal i agree with you, in practice 80%+ MP's are from England so i think it would lead to pointless beaurocracy. In some ways i wonder if it would not have been best to just devolve the powers the Assemblies have to county authorities, similar to the London Assembly.

Yes, i agree with that.

ReputationRep:

I doubt it, seems utterly pointless when it would nearly always be dominated by the same party as Westminster. I see regional Parliaments with devolved powers similar to those of Wales as far more likely.

ReputationRep:

I was also supportive of an English Parliament but its an extra layer of breaucracy and takes away powers from councils (who should have more power).

But I strongly support the idea that CD should have MP's. Population of Jersey is just under 100,000 enough for one MP and the combined islands and Guernsey has under 70,000 so I dont see why they should not (if they chose to) - Perhaps have a system similar to Scotland for the Channel Islands. I would also include the Falklands and Gibraltar but their popular is too small to have a proportinate number (or even to get one MP) The main problem for most of them is the tax laws.

ReputationRep:
    I was also supportive of an English Parliament but its an extra layer of breaucracy and takes away powers from councils (who should have more power).

But I strongly support the idea that CD should have MP's. Population of Jersey is just under 100,000 enough for one MP and the combined islands and Guernsey has under 70,000 so I dont see why they should not (if they chose to) - Perhaps have a system similar to Scotland for the Channel Islands. I would also include the Falklands and Gibraltar but their popular is too small to have a proportinate number (or even to get one MP) The main problem for most of them is the tax laws.
    We could always do the same as the EU does for Gibraltar, and just classify it as "South-West England"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Republic1)
    Here here. If the unionists love the Queen so bloody much then they're more than welcome to move over here. That way Ireland can unite and the entire stupid mess will be over.
    It's not the Queen they want, it's the UK as a whole.

Why not tell the rebels to get lost into Ireland instead, goes both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Interesting that whatever happens to NI in the long term this is unlikely to change either, as the Republic has what are some of the most radical anti-abortion laws in Europe.
    I remember the story of an Indian woman (in Dublin I think) who died because strict anti-abortion laws prevented her aborting until too late.

ReputationRep:
    I would have taken the Grattan's parliament era of a unified Ireland under British rule over the shambles of today.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the Queen they want, it's the UK as a whole.

Why not tell the rebels to get lost into Ireland instead, goes both ways.
    It's funny how we have the two biggest patriots (Brits and Irish) yet neither of those nations wants to identify with us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    It's funny how we have the two biggest patriots (Brits and Irish) yet neither of those nations wants to identify with us.
    I've never thought of the Irish as especially patriotic in their current attitudes. There's clearly historical patriotism but then that's no surprise given how little regard they were treated with by Britain. I rarely feel pride or shame at a national level but allowing Ireland to starve and eventually leave is something that should shame Britain.

ReputationRep:
    The UK has a moral responsibility to stand by Northern Ireland should it want to stay.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the story of an Indian woman (in Dublin I think) who died because strict anti-abortion laws prevented her aborting until too late.
    Yeah, that was a pretty bad case. The law says you can't have an abortion just because your health is at risk - there has to be a substantial risk to your life. Despite the fact the foetus here had no chance of actually living, it was certain to be either miscarried or stillborn, she wasn't allowed an abortion. Then by the time there was a risk to her life, it was too late to save her.

ReputationRep:
    The UK has a moral responsibility to stand by Northern Ireland should it want to stay.
    Hear hear!

ReputationRep:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.